A Conundrum For Our Times-Does Movie Popcorn Taste Worse Nowadays?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2307 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

there was a "scandal" of sorts in the news a few years ago about how unhealthy theater popcorn butter was.......maybe it's been made healthier now??.....

Some places advertise real butter. I don’t usually order it with butter. Most of the time I’m satisfied with that yellow coating (whatever it is) that comes on it.

Gman

@azdr0710 is on the right track. In the old days, popcorn was popped in coconut oil and drizzled in more flavored oil, which sent the calories through the roof. Since then, more chains have switched to canola oil, which is slightly better, but it's still a meal in a bag and the service sizes are a joke.

Original report: BIG: Movie Theaters Fill Buckets…and Bellies

Plain air-popped corn is quite low in calories and I put a little salt and nutritional yeast on mine at home.

Yeast like this, Bob's Red Mill Large Flake Yeast but I would buy it locally so you can check the expiration date...

Some places advertise real butter. I don’t usually order it with butter. Most of the time I’m satisfied with that yellow coating (whatever it is) that comes on it.

Gman

I worked in a movie theater in high school. I didn't work in concessions, but I have seen the chemical additive that gives the theater popcorn that yellow powdery consistency. It's called Flavocol.yhst-60941604558443_2269_8574567