Mexico fined $ 10,000 for homophobic chant: PUTO!

marylander1940
This topic is 2284 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not Mexican, I am Argentinean. The friend @liubit has shared his testimony from Mexico. I can tell you that in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Bolivia, and Spain, the word "puto" means "faggot". I do not know in the rest of the Spanish speaking countries.

¡Claro que si! Entiendo... (please don’t report me for agreeing and understanding in Spanish)

I think we can safely conclude here that, possibly even more than English, Spanish has a wide range of dialects, idioms, usages, and regional differences in language/word use....

in this case, it's very specifically about Mexico's usage of the word and that country's understanding of it.......other Spanish-speaking countries may know the word, but understand it to mean something slightly different and be more, or less, offensive.....in fact, the word may not even be used much except in Mexico????

as a US English-user, I never knew the word "wanker" until I was well into my adult years.....a British couple I met had to explain it to me when we heard somebody say, "the referee is a wanker", while watching some sporting event.....since US English virtually never uses that word, we may never really understand how "strong" (or not) and offensive it is as an insult.......

I find this hard to believe. Not that you did not know the term wanker, but rather that you were at a sporting event and paying attention to it. You think you know someone and then they pull out some crap like this.

I have spent a good portion of my adult life in Mexico. My Spanish is Mexican and I taught (Mexican) Spanish for eighteen years. The word puto has one and only one meaning in Mexican Spanish and that is FAGGOT and it is derogatory. If Mexican soccer fans chant puto, puto, puto the ONLY English translation would be faggot, faggot, faggot and that is FACT. Maricon and mariposa (butterfly) can also be translated as faggot, HOWEVER, they are less offensive.

I have spent a good portion of my adult life in Mexico. My Spanish is Mexican and I taught (Mexican) Spanish for eighteen years. The word puto has one and only one meaning in Mexican Spanish and that is FAGGOT and it is derogatory. If Mexican soccer fans chant puto, puto, puto the ONLY English translation would be faggot, faggot, faggot and that is FACT. Maricon and mariposa (butterfly) can also be translated as faggot, HOWEVER, they are less offensive.

I lived in Mexico City for 10 years in my adult life. Totally agree!

Someone mentioned "putazo", which by the way in Mexico has nothing to do with puto.

I lived in Mexico City for 10 years in my adult life. Totally agree!

Someone mentioned "putazo", which by the way in Mexico has nothing to do with puto.

Right. “Putazo” in Mexico means hit, blow, as in “He hit me in a fight” (“me dio un putazo”). Native Mexican speaking here.

Interesting. I wonder if the etymology is related to "puntazo" instead.

In Argentina we have "putito" and "putazo", respectively the diminutive and the augmentative of "puto". I would be a "putazo viejo". Proud of it.

as a US English-user, I never knew the word "wanker" until I was well into my adult years.....a British couple I met had to explain it to me when we heard somebody say, "the referee is a wanker", while watching some sporting event.....since US English virtually never uses that word, we may never really understand how "strong" (or not) and offensive it is as an insult.......

After some trouble with Macquarie Bank that had been reported widely in the media, Virgin Airlines here put up advertising billboards saying, 'Macquarie, what a bunch of bankers', the meaning of which was clear. It's commonplace here, and it's an insult, but not particularly harsh: if your mate did something stupid you'd call him a bit of a wanker. Also, it's a generalised insult for doing something wrong, stupid, pretentious or something like that, never used literally, so it's not a slur as such.

I find this hard to believe. Not that you did not know the term wanker, but rather that you were at a sporting event and paying attention to it. You think you know someone and then they pull out some crap like this.

I read it as 'watching' a sporting event, not specifically 'at' one, so I assumed watching on TV somewhere. Hearing and discussing the term makes sense in that context, even hearing it and having to ask what was said, not just what was meant. Transatlantic and transpacific conversations about the English language are replete with false friends and unknown idioms.

I thought "pato" meant faggot but it's been years since I used my Spanish.

Not in Mexico, even if they know that in some Central America Countries (like Puerto Rico and Cuba) what its' meant to mean.

Do not forget that even if Spanish is spoken in Spain and in all Latin America (apart from Brasil) each Country has different words sometimes to mean something.

In Spain (and other Latin American Countries) the verb COGER means "to take", "to grab", but you would never use that verb for that use in Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina and others because it means TO FUCK....:eek:

Not in Mexico, even if they know that in some Central America Countries (like Puerto Rico and Cuba) what its' meant to mean.

Do not forget that even if Spanish is spoken in Spain and in all Latin America (apart from Brasil) each Country has different words sometimes to mean something.

In Spain (and other Latin American Countries) the verb COGER means "to take", "to grab", but you would never use that verb for that use in Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina and others because it means TO FUCK....:eek:

In NYC I attended a church that had two main services: one in English the other in Spanish. The gathering after each was in English or mostly English. Those attending the Spanish service came from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Honduras etc. Apparently the variants in their native tongue were so wide that it was easier for them to struggle with their limited English.

Bad words and insults could be very different. Spanish is a vast language with unity in its diversity and diversity in its unity.

Within Spain there are more accents then there are from California and Texas to Tierra del Fuego.

Edited by marylander1940