DWE---> Driving While Elderly

samhexum
This topic is 2275 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just one week after a fatal collision in Whitestone that caused the tragic death of a local teenager, Queens residents are demanding a change to the way New York state assesses its senior drivers.

More than 7,000 residents have signed onto a petition that calls for “mandatory retesting every two years for all drivers age 80 and over.” New York state currently has an eight-year renewal program that requires a vision exam. It does not have specific provisions for older drivers.

The call comes in the wake of the June 25 collision that killed Madeline Sershen, a 17-year-old who attended St. Francis Prep in Fresh Meadows. Sershen was crossing Utopia Parkway with the walk light in her favor when she was struck by a 2005 Toyota Corolla driven by 88-year-old Sheila Kahn Prager, who police said ignored a steady red light. Madeline's mom works in the same school as my best friend.

Paramedics rushed Sershen to NewYork-Presbyterian Queens hospital, where the teen was pronounced dead. Prager was issued a desk appearance ticket charging her with three crimes, including disobeying a traffic control device.

The Change.org petition, which was published on June 30, suggests that drivers over 80 years of age undergo a driving test every two years to determine whether or not they are still fit to drive, before they are issued a new license.

“Simply passing a vision exam is an extremely low standard for a person to maintain their privilege to drive,” the petition reads. “Individuals over 80 must be able to demonstrate that they can continue to remain safe on the road.”

Across the country, states have varying rules for issuing licenses to older adults. Many states require seniors drivers to either renew their license in person, complete a written test or provide a doctor’s certificate stating they are fit to drive.

The petition, which was already just short of its 7,500-signature goal on July 2, will be delivered to Governor Andrew Cuomo, Mayor Bill de Blasio and the New York State Legislature.

Julian Ho, the local who started the petition, said Sershen’s family reached out to him to voice their support for the petition. He also encouraged those who signed to call Cuomo’s office to urge the leader to change the state’s driver’s license renewal procedures.

“My beautiful baby sister’s death shall not be in vain,” wrote Olivia Sershen. “Please make the change we need to see in order to prevent future tragedies like Madeline’s — which could have been avoided!!!”

The petition is the second community response to last week’s tragic accident. In the hours following the incident, friends of the teenager’s family launched a fundraiser on GoFundMe to help ease the burden of funeral costs. The campaign surpassed its $10,000 goal in less than 24 hours and has raised $37,194 as of July 2.

Sounds like a good idea for eye and written exams.

Actual driving tests are a PITA in many states to arrange but they're important for newer drivers. I have no idea how some people I see ever got a driver's license to begin with. Are there countries where you are supposed to drive on top of the white center line and turn left from right lanes ? It seems so.

The most common victims for bad drivers are elderly pedestrians. We kill 2 or 3 of them a week just in DC. Young people are better at getting out of the way.

If she is on any narcotics her MD could be in a lot of trouble for not suspending her license, at least temporarily.

MN has the resting law for seniors, I’m not sure what age that starts. Unfortunately a lot of seniors will ignore MD orders or recommendations from other health professionals (like myself) to not drive.

Once my father was in his 80's, he rarely drove. Occasionally to the grocery store or beer store to get a 12 pack and lottery tickets. All less than 2 miles from the house, and all 25-35 mph roads. Didn't drive at night, nor in rain or snow. We were lucky. He one day decided not to drive anymore, and gave his 20+ year old car to my brother.

baby boomers are now aged 54 to 72.......lots of trouble in the years ahead for Medicare, Social Security, younger family members as caregivers.....and other drivers and pedestrians on the road......

watch for hard decisions ahead!

http://www.safetysupplywarehouse.com/v/vspfiles/photos/W14305-2T.jpg

We're going through this with my father. He totalled his car earlier this year and we started the process to have him re-evaluated. He cancelled the cognitive test scheduled with his doctor, and on his first try with the state, he failed the written test so they revoked his license without even doing the driving test. He can take the test again, I'm not sure how many times he's allowed to do that. He's determined to get his driving privileges back, and we're scared both for him and for other drivers.

My mother was never the best of drivers but drove until she lost control of her car in a parking lot and smashed into a wall. She was 85. She decided on her own to stop driving. She lives where mass transit is not available and now relies on her 84 year old husband for most rides. The loss of her independence still depresses her. But my family and myself very much appreciate and respect her responsible decision to stop driving.

A northeast Queens lawmaker’s initiative giving seniors free access to transportation has expanded.

Councilman Paul Vallone and Selfhelp Community Services announced that their transportation program — which was previously only offered to seniors in northeast Queens — will open up to seniors across the borough. The program officially launched on Jan. 2.

Seniors throughout Queens can call the Clearview Senior Center at 718-224-7888 from 9 a.m. to noon to schedule their rides to and from medical appointments. Rides are limited to two long distance or four local trips a month per person.

The expansion was made possible by a $10,000 grant awarded to Selfhelp Community Services by the City Council’s Queens Delegation. The program will conclude at the end of the grant funding.

The transportation program first launched in northeast Queens with a pilot in April, followed by a full launch in November. Funded by Vallone, it allowed seniors living in the 19th City Council District, which covers sections of Flushing, Whitestone, College Point, Douglaston and Bayside, to schedule rides to and from medical appointments through the Bayside Selfhelp Clearview Senior Center.

Queens seniors face a lack of affordable and reliable transportation options, the councilman noted.

“When I launched this program I hoped that it would grow and expand beyond just northeast Queens, and now that is starting to become a reality,” Vallone said. “Seniors in our city, many of who live on fixed incomes, are already faced with enough hardships such as rising property taxes, costs of living and stagnant funding for critical services. The last thing they should have to worry about is how they’re going to get to the doctor.”

Selfhelp, in partnership with Vallone, also recently secured a $15,000 grant to expand the Virtual Senior Center (VSC) to the entire borough. The program allows home-bound older adults to connect with the larger community using technology.

Seniors can take interactive, real-time classes in topics ranging from art history to weight training. Over 40 classes are typically offered per week in English, Mandarin, Korean, and Russian.

Find out if you or someone you know is eligible for VCS by calling 718-559-4460.

“Continued support from government is key to enabling older New Yorkers to stay connected to the communities they call home,” said Sandy Myers, vice president of external relations and communications for Selfhelp Community Services. “Our transportation program, in partnership with Four Two’s, will help address one of the most significant challenges faced by older residents of Queens: the lack of accessible and reliable transportation in parts of our city.”

Allentown police say a car crashed into the office building of a gated community in the West End, pinning an office worker at her desk.

Police Capt. Charles Roca said an elderly man drove into the building about 11:45 a.m. Wednesday, and the woman was taken to a hospital. Roca said the office worker was pinned and described her injuries as minor. He said no one else was injured.

The building appears to be the front lobby of the Westmount Apartment Homes, a gated community at 650 Primrose Drive.

nGYE7tgE9_s_MZ0g?format=jpg&name=small

fc_ewCBwkRN3ZpU-?format=jpg&name=small

An Atlanta friend refers to left-lane losers. When I’m on a long road trip (I have a very fast and powerful car), I’ll often find a senior driving 55 or 60 in the left lane. Not only does that enrage the drivers stuck behind, but exponentially raises the prospect of a rear-end collision because of tail-gating. When I see an 85 year old driving, I’m struck by the terror on their faces and the white knuckles. It must be a real ordeal for them; yet, I understand the desire for independence. Hopefully, self-driving cars will allow them their freedom without endangering others. After all, we’re going to be there ourselves in the not too distant future.

My aunt is 95 years old and just stopped driving. I don't understand how she has been able to get her license this long.

I don't know how many states have a re-test policy. I've renewed my license by mail every year since I first got it at 16, without taking another test, either written or road test. In Michigan, I believe that's the case no matter your age unless someone deliberately flags you for re-testing; there's a process for that.

Edited by poolboy48220

I don't know how many states have a re-test policy. I've renewed my license by mail every year since I first got it at 16, without taking another test, either written or road test. In Michigan, I believe that's the case no matter your age unless someone deliberate flags you for re-testing; there's a process for that.

I just got a Florida drivers license, and they gave it to me for 8 years. A lot can happen in 8 years. Kinda scary...

AARP and their ilk argue that it's age discrimination. And argue that 65+ drivers have a better than average record. This is true, but the 75+ drivers are WORSE than average, and a lot of states for political reasons refuse to let insurers rate on age beyond a 65+ factor, which would take care of a lot of the problem.