10 year rule - do you subscribe to it?

FrankR
This topic is 2268 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I am proving myself to be the village idiot, but what are the four F's? o_O

I am quoting from the TV show Queer as Folk: “Hi, I’m Emmett Honeycutt, your Queer Guy and certified member of the four-F club. That’s fashion, food, furnishings and…hehe we’ll save the last F for cable.” ;)

[MEDIA=dailymotion]x1g4uwv[/MEDIA]

Edited by FrankR

I was talking with a buddy yesterday, about replacing some of my home furnishings (mattress no longer in prime condition, leather couch showing its age, floor lamps starting to look ratty) and he mentioned the “10 year rule”. Apparently there is a rule that most soft furnishings need to be replaced about every 10 years, you should not expect their lifespan to exceed that... As gay men are considered experts when it comes to the 4 F’s, I figured this is the right crowd to ask: is that really a rule or did he just make it up? :)

Does your buddy work for a furniture/bedding company??

Getting upholstered furniture reupholstered costs nearly as much as buying new.

True, in part because a lot of furniture is imported and reupholstering is done locally (with higher wage costs). There is also the use of new materials and the cost/impact of sending the old stuff to landfill (if that is a concern to you).

True, in part because a lot of furniture is imported and reupholstering is done locally (with higher wage costs). There is also the use of new materials and the cost/impact of sending the old stuff to landfill (if that is a concern to you).

I've had furniture reupholstered. Even though it costs nearly as much as replacing, I would still do it for pieces that I liked. All of our furniture is pretty nice quality and I like all of it, so I will get it reupholstered as needed.

I was talking with a buddy yesterday, about replacing some of my home furnishings (mattress no longer in prime condition, leather couch showing its age, floor lamps starting to look ratty) and he mentioned the “10 year rule”. Apparently there is a rule that most soft furnishings need to be replaced about every 10 years, you should not expect their lifespan to exceed that... As gay men are considered experts when it comes to the 4 F’s, I figured this is the right crowd to ask: is that really a rule or did he just make it up? :)

What are the 4Fs?

Buying crap does not guarantee that it will not last more than 10 years ago.

When i first moved to Rhode Island, just after finishing school, I went to the Salvation Army and bought porcellain enamel topped table with oak trestle and two chairs. Grand total $20. It fit in nicely with my small apartment. Now, more than 35 years later, it is functioning as a desk in my home office and my table top computer sits on it. It has help up well and I expect that after my demise, it will be returned to the Salvation Army by the poor soul that has to get rid of my earthly belongings.

At the same time, I bought a plain oak chest of drawers. It sits just outside a walk in closet. i believe that was $3,

When i first moved to Rhode Island, just after finishing school, I went to the Salvation Army and bought porcellain enamel topped table with oak trestle and two chairs. Grand total $20.

I wouldn't define a good buy on used furniture as being in the "crap" category.

I was talking about buying IKEA or "Hecho en Mexico" goods.

That's true. 17 or 18 years ago, I bought a couple of arts & crafts style end tables at Crate & Barrel for $100.00 each. They're still solid; the finish looks nice; the cleaning lady polishes them from time to time. All they have to do is sit there, look nice and hold a lamp.