Driving with pride as the ‘face of Wells Fargo’

Avalon
This topic is 2250 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://stories.wf.com/driving-with-pride-as-the-face-of-wells-fargo?cid=pd_ob_1807_105530

From the moment he first interviewed to become a stagecoach driver for Wells Fargo in the late 1990s, Michael Wakefield felt comfortable and included within the company.

“Being gay has never been a problem, and I can be open about it,” Wakefield said. “If I go to a town and talk to a bank manager, I’m open about the fact that I’m gay, and it’s not a problem. I am who I am.”

I've had the same bank for my adult life. When I was working at that time it was the only bank that I could direct deposit.

Back then they were just a hole-in-the wall. Now they have a dozen branches.

Very easy to work with. I have several monthly bills I pay by credit card. Now that I can't get out I just call them up each month - talk to a human being - and pay the balance off.

I'm still glad I fired them. I should fire Chase to. Is there a bank that still stands by a code of ethics when dealing with their customers? Now that Trump is prez, consumer/customer rights at the banks are probably getting less and less attention from regulators.

Don't try Bank of America.

Find a good credit union.

https://stories.wf.com/driving-with-pride-as-the-face-of-wells-fargo?cid=pd_ob_1807_105530

From the moment he first interviewed to become a stagecoach driver for Wells Fargo in the late 1990s, Michael Wakefield felt comfortable and included within the company.

“Being gay has never been a problem, and I can be open about it,” Wakefield said. “If I go to a town and talk to a bank manager, I’m open about the fact that I’m gay, and it’s not a problem. I am who I am.”

This does not surprise me. Retail and commercial banking has been a popular field for LGBT people for years. I worked for a very large Chicago-based bank where the joke was we did't need an LGBT organization because we were an LGBT organization.

Don't try Bank of America.

Find a good credit union.

Most credit unions that are open to the general public charge the same fees as large banks. Employer-based CUs are typically more pro-member, though.

This does not surprise me. Retail and commercial banking has been a popular field for LGBT people for years. I worked for a very large Chicago-based bank where the joke was we did't need an LGBT organization because we were an LGBT organization.

Most credit unions that are open to the general public charge the same fees as large banks. Employer-based CUs are typically more pro-member, though.

Mine is employer based. Joined in the 80's. Still have accounts in retirement. Interest on 1 year CDs currently 2.25, for minimum 1K.

Edited by bashful

Mine is employer based. Joined in the 80's. Still have accounts in retirement. Interest on 1 year CDs currently 2.25, for minimum 1K.

Yep. You probably won't find that among ones the general public can join. Navy Federal tends to have decent rates, but again they aren't open to the public.