Friend Of Dorothy

Avalon
This topic is 2239 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 weeks later...
Please don't tell me you havent heard that expression. Now it's just quaint, but it used to be code for saying someone was gay in mixed company.

There are a significant number people who don't know what "Stonewall" is, much less phrases like "fruit fly," "chicken hawk," or "passion fruit." Gayness is so much more in the open that they don't necessarily learn about the history and culture.

Edited by bnm73

There are a significant number of younger kids who don't know what "Stonewall" is, much less phrases like "fruit fly," "chicken hawk," or "passion fruit." Gayness is so much more in the open that they don't necessarily learn about the history and culture.

I'm sure that's true. And it's evidence of how far we've come that younger gays have never heard these words and expressions that are nothing less than a language of oppression. I know SF is singular, but here, sexual orientation doesn't even need to be talked about-it's just a minor detail of who a man is.

The OP, though, is a man of a certain age, and it's surprising that he didn't know the expression

There are a significant number people who don't know what "Stonewall" is, much less phrases like "fruit fly," "chicken hawk," or "passion fruit." Gayness is so much more in the open that they don't necessarily learn about the history and culture.

I don't know 'fruit fly'. It sounds derogatory to me like something a straight person would use disparagingly. I don't know 'passion fruit' either. It puts me in mind of what you might call a lesbian.

Gman

I don't know 'fruit fly'. It sounds derogatory to me like something a straight person would use disparagingly. I don't know 'passion fruit' either. It puts me in mind of what you might call a lesbian.

Gman

A "fruit fly" is similar to a "fag hag"....she hangs around "fruits" (usually hairdressers/aetheticians, in the contexts I've heard).

A "passion fruit" is a hyper-masculine, "str8-acting" gay person.

Gman

A "fruit fly" is similar to a "fag hag"....she hangs around "fruits" (usually hairdressers/aetheticians, in the contexts I've heard).

A "passion fruit" is a hyper-masculine, "str8-acting" gay person.

And here I've been a passion fruit all my life but never known it. :p

Gman

I'm sure that's true. And it's evidence of how far we've come that younger gays have never heard these words and expressions that are nothing less than a language of oppression. I know SF is singular, but here, sexual orientation doesn't even need to be talked about-it's just a minor detail of who a man is.

The OP, though, is a man of a certain age, and it's surprising that he didn't know the expression

I agree. But, @Avalon uses Wikipeda frequently (too often) so he may have known the meaning of a friend of Dorothey.

Indeed - that is exactly what I did!!! Season 2 Episode 5... Very memorable. Especially Blanche's reaction, for all the wrong reasons! Love it! ;)

Thank-you for the recommendation. The lesbian episode. I'm watching it now on YouTube.

Mmmmm, probably not as many as you think. Now if you said “Maude”!

Big fan of "Maude". My favorite scene was when her husband Walter was feeling down so she invited an old friend to come and visit. They hadn't see each other in a long time. When they hugged the friend said "I'm so happy that I could die" and then dropped dead.