What would you have done?

bnm73
This topic is 2247 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This happened several years ago, but something I read in the news brought it to mind....I thought I'd see what members of this forum may have done.

At the time, I worked with a somewhat conservative -- but not close-minded -- person. One day, he asked for my opinion on a moral dilemma.

(I immediately laugh, saying that I had no morals, but that is a digression.)

He needed a somewhat difficult to find piece of equipment for a personal project. To buy one new was cost-prohibitive. The only one that he could find that was used was being sold by a rabidly homophobic and mildly racist person that he would rather not have anything to do with. He asked my opinion.

After a little thought, I said that if he was looking for my permission or approval to get the equipment, then it wasn't needed. If he was trying to alleviate his conscience a little because he was going to buy it, I suggested he get it and then make a donation to a local gay organization...in the name of the homophobe.

Opinions? Thoughts? Better suggestions?

Sometimes a person has no choice. He needed it and that was where he had to go.

I once needed glass for a table top. They had a "fish" in the window. Those places make me uncomfortable but it was the only place in town. They came out and measured it - good thing they did - and then came back with it.