The Meaning of Thongs in Australia

Avalon
This topic is 2222 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I understand that they originally came from Japan. U.S. Service Men and Women first encountered them in the immediate aftermath of World War II. At that time people in the service frequently called them "Jap-Flaps". Certainly not an acceptable term today. Many sailors adopted them for the use in gang showers. My brother-in-law always called them shower shoes. I grew up here in Southern California and am familiar with all of the following: flipflop (current term), go-aheads, shower shoes, and thongs.

I grew up in Chicago in the 70's and 80's. Those types of sandals were called "thongs." "Flip-flop" is a relatively recent term.

@Avalon , do you truly not know these bits of common knowledge or are you messing with the rest of us?

I plead ignorance. I led a sheltered life. When I hear thong I think of clothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thong_(clothing)