The IRS Sent Me A Check!

Avalon
This topic is 2211 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My landlord came by today and brought my mail and there was check from the IRS. Since last century I had my taxes done at H&R Block but this year because I was not physically able to go there my cousin did them for me. I mailed her everything and she mailed it back to me. I checked my records; I paid them them back April. I didn't see where I had paid them twice. I remember later getting a letter with my tax forms saying that I hadn't signed it. So I did and returned it. Oh well.

Edited by Avalon

One of the supermarkets I shop at sent me coupons. $5 off $25 in weeks 1 & 3, $2 off meat in week 2, 2 off produce in week 4.

FREE:

Shadybrook Turkey Burgers week 1

Baby Roy's Barbecue Sauce week 2

KLONDIKE BARS (!) week 3

Kraft Salad Dressing week 4

I get coupons for items plus cash off. Because I order online and my landlord brings my groceries to me I now give him the coupons to use.

Time to throw a party Avalon! I have my dancing shoes on!

My landlord came by today and brought my mail and there was check from the IRS. Since last century I had my taxes done at H&R Block but this year because I was not physically able to go there my cousin did them for me. I mailed her everything and she mailed it back to me. I checked my records; I paid them them back April. I didn't see where I had paid them twice. I remember later getting a letter with my tax forms saying that I hadn't signed it. So I did and returned it. Oh well.

If the IRS sends a check you're not expecting they usually send a letter too. I got a check this year and three weeks later came a notice explaining it.

If the IRS sends a check you're not expecting they usually send a letter too. I got a check this year and three weeks later came a notice explaining it.

Thanks! I'll be on the look out for a letter then.

It was under $100. I gave it to my landlord to mail off to the bank to deposit. That won't go through until next week.

One of the supermarkets I shop at sent me coupons. $5 off $25 in weeks 1 & 3, $2 off meat in week 2, 2 off produce in week 4.

FREE:

Shadybrook Turkey Burgers week 1

Baby Roy's Barbecue Sauce week 2

KLONDIKE BARS (!) week 3

Kraft Salad Dressing week 4

Well … I got it. Haha

Interesting, if the ATO sends a cheque, it is always the bottom quarter (or thereabouts) of an A4 page (perforated so it can be removed neatly), the top part of that page has all the explanatory information and goes onto extra (cheque-free) pages if there is more information to convey.

Hmm. My guess is that the IRS found a math error. If the return was done by hand I would put money on the Social Security worksheet or additional exemption for age. Looking forward to hearing what the issue was .

I'll share when/if I get a letter from the IRS

In my check ledger I wrote that I made the check out for $81 back in early April. The check I received was for $81.65

Maybe I made an error in my entry?

I have made only one known error in my tax history. Turned out to be in my favor. I misreported a digit on the amount of estimated taxes I had paid. The IRS sent me a letter, then mailed a check about a week later.

When I got my SS disability I first got the money then got the letter later. I was at the ATM. When I saw the balance I was surprised. I thought maybe my landlord had not cashed my rent check yet.

I had my SS interview on 21 August, the day before my birthday, and I went to the ATM on 27 September. I remember that well because it was my paternal grandmother's birthday. That was quick. I've had friends who had to fight for their disability.

I have made only one known error in my tax history. Turned out to be in my favor. I misreported a digit on the amount of estimated taxes I had paid. The IRS sent me a letter, then mailed a check about a week later.

I never made an error when I did my own federal taxes, but this year our tax accountant did, and it was a whopper of a digital error (a $1900 deduction became a $19000 deduction). Luckily, I checked everything before it was sent to the IRS, and got it corrected.

I had somewhat the same pleasant surprise a couple of years ago when I went to the "MissingMoney" website that tells you if you have any money that a state is holding for you. Sometimes a state or corporation (or even a small company) owes you money and is unable to find out where you live - usually cause you've moved - they are required by law to keep it in a special account. My sister told me about the site and, sure enough, I discovered that the state of New Jersey had several thousand dollars of mine due to some stock buy-back and, instead of sending it to my brokerage house, they sent it to my address in NJ - but I had moved. All I had to do was send copies of my drivers license and SS card and they send me a check + ten years interest! The website is easy to use - just pop in your first and last name and find out if you've got money.

http://www.missingmoney.com/

Hmm. My guess is that the IRS found a math error. If the return was done by hand I would put money on the Social Security worksheet or additional exemption for age. Looking forward to hearing what the issue was .

Social Security worksheet was my error. I didn't seen the next line on the worksheet of an additional line to include in the calculation, so didn't figure in that income. Took me three for four days going over the return to realize I made the error.