Jimmy Dean Breakfasts?

Avalon
This topic is 2072 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are my guilty pleasure. I just bought a new kind an hour ago: The Egg'wich, a breadless sandwich. My favorite until now has been the croissant filled with egg, cheese and sausage. I doubt that most doctors would recommend them--400 calories, 230 of them from fat, and 5 grams of sugar--but I find them very satisfying. The Egg'wich is only 240 calories, 160 of them from fat, and 3 grams of sugar.

They are my guilty pleasure. I just bought a new kind an hour ago: The Egg'wich, a breadless sandwich. My favorite until now has been the croissant filled with egg, cheese and sausage. I doubt that most doctors would recommend them--400 calories, 230 of them from fat, and 5 grams of sugar--but I find them very satisfying. The Egg'wich is only 240 calories, 160 of them from fat, and 3 grams of sugar.

Thanks! I was thinking more like the Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls. They are now on sale for $1.99

What about the sodium content?

Good question! Here are ingredients listed for the Meat Lovers bowl

Precooked Scrambled Eggs (Whole Eggs, Skim Milk, Soybean Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Xanthan Gum, Liquid Pepper Extract, Salt, Citric Acid, Butter Flavor [butter {Cream, Milk}, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Soybean Oil, Lipolyzed Butter Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavors]), Diced Potatoes (Potatoes, Vegetable Oil [soybean and/or Cottonseed Oils], Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate and Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate [to Maintain Natural Color]), Cooked Pork Sausage Crumbles (Pork, Water, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Sugar, Spices, Natural Flavor (with Maltodextrin, Succinic Acid), Sodium Phosphate, Caramel Color, Cooked in Beef Fat), Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Annatto Color), Water, Precooked Bacon Toppings Smoke Flavor Added ([Cured with Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite], Smoke Flavoring).

Good question! Here are ingredients listed for the Meat Lovers bowl

Precooked Scrambled Eggs (Whole Eggs, Skim Milk, Soybean Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Xanthan Gum, Liquid Pepper Extract, Salt, Citric Acid, Butter Flavor [butter {Cream, Milk}, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Soybean Oil, Lipolyzed Butter Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavors]), Diced Potatoes (Potatoes, Vegetable Oil [soybean and/or Cottonseed Oils], Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate and Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate [to Maintain Natural Color]), Cooked Pork Sausage Crumbles (Pork, Water, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Sugar, Spices, Natural Flavor (with Maltodextrin, Succinic Acid), Sodium Phosphate, Caramel Color, Cooked in Beef Fat), Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Annatto Color), Water, Precooked Bacon Toppings Smoke Flavor Added ([Cured with Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite], Smoke Flavoring).

If I cannot pronounce the ingredient, it does NOT enter my body.

This "stuff" sounds like it should come with a triple bypass.

Seriously, do you want to consume this crap?

If I cannot pronounce the ingredient, it does NOT enter my body.

This "stuff" sounds like it should come with a triple bypass.

Seriously, do you want to consume this crap?

I can consume only ~5 of the items on the list

I would worry about the sodium content. Most prepared foods are very high in sodium. I would sometime buy the breakfast bowls when I worked to save time in the morning. Then I noticed, if I ate them for a few days in a row, my skin began to break out with acne. Stopped eating them, went away.

As an alternative to the breakfast bowls, there are the sandwiches. I haven't bought them in years, but I believe they had a whole grain english muffin with turkey sausage patty. Lower fat and calories.

Better still, just buy eggs, limit yolks, use mostly egg whites, Johnsonville turkey sausage (no nitrates), and toast (just not white bread), and forget the potatoes. While I seldom microwave to cook (just to warm up occasionally), you can do the sausage and scrambled eggs in the microwave, toast in the toaster(oven). All have a timer to turn off.

I would worry about the sodium content. Most prepared foods are very high in sodium. I would sometime buy the breakfast bowls when I worked to save time in the morning. Then I noticed, if I ate them for a few days in a row, my skin began to break out with acne. Stopped eating them, went away.

As an alternative to the breakfast bowls, there are the sandwiches. I haven't bought them in years, but I believe they had a whole grain english muffin with turkey sausage patty. Lower fat and calories.

Better still, just buy eggs, limit yolks, use mostly egg whites, Johnsonville turkey sausage (no nitrates), and toast (just not white bread), and forget the potatoes. While I seldom microwave to cook (just to warm up occasionally), you can do the sausage and scrambled eggs in the microwave, toast in the toaster(oven). All have a timer to turn off.

Thanks! A couple of problems. I'm afraid to cook. I might fall and can't get up and burn the building up and me. And as diabetic I can't have bread. Those ingredients in the breakfast bowl look bad too.

I just checked the grocery store online site and they have a number of Johnsonville items.

Thanks! A couple of problems. I'm afraid to cook. I might fall and can't get up and burn the building up and me. And as diabetic I can't have bread. Those ingredients in the breakfast bowl look bad too.

I just checked the grocery store online site and they have a number of Johnsonville items.

Then of course, forget the bread. But hard to burn up the building if the microwave will shut itself off after a certain time. Chop up the sausage (it's already cooked), and add to the eggs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scrambled+eggs+in+microwave&rlz=1C1ZCEB_enUS804US804&oq=scrambled+eggs+in+microwave&aqs=chrome..69i57.7837j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Salt is listed several times.

That way of listing ingredients is a little confusing, it seems to list the components of the meal and the ingredients of each. Here, labels have to list the ingredients in descending order of their proportions, and they also have to list the mass of carbs, protein, fats and salt (maybe others) they contain per 100g and per serving. They also have to list the kJ per serve. Do US labels not have to do that?

Those turkey sausages do have potato starch, salt, dextrose, sugar and spices (unspecified) added to them. The list of ingredients added to most baked products, including bread and muffins, is a lot longer than that. Nevertheless, I am not about to make my own sausage (believe it or not, I have done it once, from a freshly slaughtered pig) or bake my own bread any more, so I pop my store-bought sausage in the microwave and muffin in the toaster, and try to forget about the extra ingredients.

That way of listing ingredients is a little confusing, it seems to list the components of the meal and the ingredients of each. Here, labels have to list the ingredients in descending order of their proportions, and they also have to list the mass of carbs, protein, fats and salt (maybe others) they contain per 100g and per serving. They also have to list the kJ per serve. Do US labels not have to do that?

It's my understanding all US labels list ingredients in descending order also. Separately, there is a nutrition guide that will list fat, sodium, carbs, vitamins etc. in grams.

Then of course, forget the bread. But hard to burn up the building if the microwave will shut itself off after a certain time. Chop up the sausage (it's already cooked), and add to the eggs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scrambled+eggs+in+microwave&rlz=1C1ZCEB_enUS804US804&oq=scrambled+eggs+in+microwave&aqs=chrome..69i57.7837j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thank-you! That is a great site. Looks easy!

Those turkey sausages do have potato starch, salt, dextrose, sugar and spices (unspecified) added to them. The list of ingredients added to most baked products, including bread and muffins, is a lot longer than that. Nevertheless, I am not about to make my own sausage (believe it or not, I have done it once, from a freshly slaughtered pig) or bake my own bread any more, so I pop my store-bought sausage in the microwave and muffin in the toaster, and try to forget about the extra ingredients.

Agree. It's not perfect, but gives @Avalon a start at branching out on the diet.

@Avalon

Embrace cooking, don't be afraid. It will give everyone confidence, teach humility with it comes out bad (and sometimes it does), also teach patience. You may discover a new hobby.

Just remember, you can always add more, but difficult to take away time, temp, and/or ingredients.

Edited by bashful

Information is subversive.

@Avalon

Embrace cooking, don't be afraid. It will give everyone confidence, teach humility with it comes out bad (and sometimes it does), also teach patience. You may discover a new hobby.

Just remember, you can always add more, but difficult to take away time, temp, and/or ingredients.

I do use the microwave. Today I "nuked" a steak.

For decades now I've used a salt substitute.