[d]

Guest gapguy
This topic is 2170 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so few guys in the US use WhatsApp or Signal? Seems like a lot of guys prefer SMS, which is the least private or secure way to communicate. I guess SMS is at least better than RM messages.

I was in London recently..WhatsApp is about all they use....SMS?..foreign to them....WhatsApp is supposedly encrypted...I don't know of anyone here in the states that use it...

Guest gapguy

Fair enough to be concerned about FB owning WhatsApp, and it’s only encrypted if don’t back it up to iCloud. But still better than SMS where AT&T and Verizon (or Vodafone or T-Mobile) can do what they want with your data.

Why do so few guys in the US use WhatsApp or Signal? Seems like a lot of guys prefer SMS, which is the least private or secure way to communicate. I guess SMS is at least better than RM messages.

WhatsApp became the standard outside the US when we were still texting. Texts between countries, and often within countries, cost money while on WhatsApp they was free. In the US texts were cheap and became free. When I'm out of the US I hate how much texting costs. To get a text from the US or send one is 50 cents per text. On Facebook Messenger they're free. On WhatsApp they're free also. I don't know about others, but all my messaging with friends is now Messenger in the US but still mostly WhatsApp for foreigners.

The privacy thing with WhatsApp is a huge benefit but I'm sure Facebook will find a way to kill that. FB is evil.

Guest gapguy
I forget, is a real phone number associated with ether one? If not, contacting me on one of these services would be the same as calling from a blocked number, which a hundred times out of a hundred means he's just jacking off and wasting my time.

Kevin Slater

Yes, a phone number is attached to Whatsapp and Signal, probably Viper too.

One's real phone number, or a throw-away number just used only on that service?

Kevin Slater

It works with any real phone number that you give them, they verify that it is real and that it is yours by sending you a security code by text to that number, which you then enter in the app to activate the app.

It works with any real phone number that you give them, they verify that it is real and that it is yours by sending you a security code by text to that number, which you then enter in the app to activate the app.

So then do you use your existing mobile phone to add WhatsApp or do you need to get a new phone??

So then do you use your existing mobile phone to add WhatsApp or do you need to get a new phone??

Existing phone. WhatsApp is an internet application, it doesn't use or interact with your voice connection on the phone. You have to have data services enabled on your phone or have a Wi-Fi connection to use it. Once you set it up, the phone number is a label for your connection, it doesn't need a PSTN connection to work and doesn't use your phone number via your telco. When you have the app, [my Samsung] contact list has a WhatsApp icon on contacts that also have the app.

I have WhatsApp, and it says it's end-to-end encrypted, but it's FB and I don't trust FB. I keep it for folks who are from other countries because of the cost/access benefits outlined by others above. I don't love when folks from the US use it in lieu of SMS but whatever.

I personally use Wickr - it's got end-to-end encryption, disappearing messages (you can set a burn on read timer for any time you choose from 1 second to 6 days), doesn't ask for a phone number or email to set up an account, is free (for the personal use - there's a business one for multi-user teams, not necessary). It's got a desktop app and a phone app; you can use fingerprint ID to unlock on devices with that ability. I also like Telegram for many of the same reasons, though I don't love that you specifically have to set up an encrypted connection.

I have WhatsApp, and it says it's end-to-end encrypted, but it's FB and I don't trust FB. I keep it for folks who are from other countries because of the cost/access benefits outlined by others above. I don't love when folks from the US use it in lieu of SMS but whatever.

I was perfectly happy to use SMS and voice calls over the PSTN, but I found that many people in the US have phone numbers that can't receive (or in some cases send) calls or texts to foreign numbers. I don't have unlimited texts or calls on my phone, so I like the fact that I can use my home internet or public Wi-Fi to call at essentially no cost. I've had regular conversations with people in the US that I probably wouldn't have had without WhatsApp. When I'm in the US, it's a useful adjunct to using roaming on my phone - my phone plan makes texts and voice calls there expensive and data insanely prohibitive, so Wi-Fi and WhatsApp are great for me. I'm not familiar with the other apps referenced here.

I was perfectly happy to use SMS and voice calls over the PSTN, but I found that many people in the US have phone numbers that can't receive (or in some cases send) calls or texts to foreign numbers. I don't have unlimited texts or calls on my phone, so I like the fact that I can use my home internet or public Wi-Fi to call at essentially no cost. I've had regular conversations with people in the US that I probably wouldn't have had without WhatsApp. When I'm in the US, it's a useful adjunct to using roaming on my phone - my phone plan makes texts and voice calls there expensive and data insanely prohibitive, so Wi-Fi and WhatsApp are great for me. I'm not familiar with the other apps referenced here.

yes, the big advantage to whatsapp is the cost control. i don't mind using it all for setting up work appointments. when it comes to upmost privacy though, i don't think anything owned by facebook is a good idea. no matter what they tell you.

#1 rule for WhatsApp is that although it will access your contacts, only contacts with a "+" and a country code in front of them will show up as options to call in WhatsApp. That peculiar little twist traps all American newcomers to WhatsApp.

Outrageous that Facebook isn't broken up for anti-trust and that it was allowed to buy WhatsApp and Instagram. You don't get any more monopolistic and anti-competitive and it's a critical part of society and the economy.