Silly songs...

This topic is 2171 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sometimes silly songs just pop into my head out of nowhere. I saw a new Vietnamese patient on my schedule, and this old ditty from my childhood came to mind. Couldn't get it out of my mind... ;)

Sometimes silly songs just pop into my head out of nowhere. I saw a new Vietnamese patient on my schedule, and this old ditty from my childhood came to mind. Couldn't get it out of my mind... ;)

Is there a Vietnamese connection? I thought I had heard just about every pop song from 1962 onward, but this was new to me.

That song is so full of non-sequiturs, it makes absolutely no sense! "When you're feeling all right, everything is up-tight"? What the Hell is that supposed to mean?

When you're feeling all right

Everything is uptight

Try to sing a song that goes ding-ding-a-dong

There will be no sorrow

When you sing tomorrow

And you walk along with your ding-dang-dong

Ding- a-dong

Every hour

When you pick a flower

Even when your lover is gone, gone, gone

Ding-a-dong

Listen to it

Maybe it's a big hit

Sing ding-ding-dong

Everything is uptight

Listen to a song that goes ding-ding-a-dong

And the world looks sunny

Everyone is funny

When they sing a song that goes ding-dang-dong

Dinge-dong

Every hour

When you pick a flower

Dinge-dong

Listen to it

Maybe it's a big hit

Sing ding-ding-dong

Ding dang dong

Dinge dange dang

When you think it's all over

They let me down

Dry your tears and forget all your sorrow

Try to smile when you'll say good-bye

Ding-dong-ding-dong

Ding-dang-dong

When you wake up tomorrow

When the sun is up in the sky

Everything is uptight

There will be no sorrow

When you sing tomorrow

And you walk along with your ding-ding-dong

Dinge-dong

Every hour

When you pick a flower

Dinge-dong

Listen to it

Maybe it's a big hit

Sing ding ding dong

Songwriters: D Mcronald / Dick Bakker / Wil Luikinga

Believe it or not, that song actually won the Eurovision contest in 1974! I remember singing another Eurovision hit with my ex when we came upon a jack-in-the-box, and he barked at me: "I don't want to hear any more Eurovision songs!" :rolleyes:

Europeans love silly songs!

"Dragostea Din Tei" (pronounced [ˈdraɡoste̯a din ˈtej] (About this sound listen)), literally "Love from the Lindens", official English title: Words of Love), also informally known as "Ma Ya Hi" and "The Numa Numa Song" (see § Lyrics), is the most successful single by the Moldovan pop group O-Zone, sung in Romanian. It received positive reviews from critics and shot to the number one spot on the Eurochart Hot 100, where it remained for 12 weeks between June and early September 2004. It topped the single charts in France, Germany and Austria for over three months, reached three in the United Kingdom and 72 on the US Pop 100. The song became the fourth-best-selling single of the 21st century in France, with 1,170,000 units sold. A popular cover of the song was made by Italian-Romanian pop singer Haiducii, which also charted in many countries, especially Italy and Sweden, where it topped the singles charts.

The full chorus, which also includes the title of the song, runs:

Vrei să pleci dar nu mă, nu mă iei,

Nu mă, nu mă iei, nu mă, nu mă, nu mă iei.

Chipul tău și dragostea din tei,

Mi-amintesc de ochii tăi.

which translates as:

(You) want to leave but don't want to take me,

Don't want to take me, don't want, don't want to take me

Your face and the love from the linden trees,

Remind me of your eyes.

That song is so full of non-sequiturs, it makes absolutely no sense! "When you're feeling all right, everything is up-tight"? What the Hell is that supposed to mean?

Everything is uptight

There will be no sorrow

When you sing tomorrow

Songwriters: D Mcronald / Dick Bakker / Wil Luikinga

I believe Mr. Wonder will explain that uptight, out of sight and alright are all equivalent

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-itm-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=itm&p=uptight+out+of+sight#id=2&vid=1ed1ec859708cf347570c2c6c4b109e9&action=view Anyone find it ironic that Mr. Wonder would be singing a song that proclaims that everything is alright, out of sight?

Edited by purplekow

I believe Mr. Wonder will explain that uptight, out of sight and alright are all equivalent

Thanks for clarifying that mystery... I was thinking of the Merriam-Webster definition...

Definition of uptight

1a : being tense, nervous, or uneasy

uptight overachievers

b : ANGRY, INDIGNANT

c : rigidly conventional

an uptight conservative

2 : being in financial difficulties

The other line that had me confused, until I read the words, was "Maybe it's a big hit." She doesn't pronounce the "h", so I thought she was singing "Maybe it's a bigot"! :D

Edited by Unicorn