Couples - Would Weight Be An Issue For You?

Avalon
This topic is 2146 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was back in 75-76 and had no family history of diabetes. Remember they did things much differently back then. Back then it was lay of the sugary stuff for a while and you’ll be fine which is what I was told. Yes looking back we should have questioned or gone to another physician. Today as you know they would also perform A1C test. As far as not going to a doctor for 20 year never was sick enough to need blood work to be done nor did I ever have diabetic symptoms. So how was I know. When I did find out the doctor asked the same thing you are, he said being boarderline is like being a little pregnant. Either you are or your not.

Well, the term "borderline diabetic" is a bit of a lay term, but there is such a thing as "impaired glucose tolerance," which means your blood sugar on an empty stomach is higher than normal (70-99), but not high enough to be diabetic (126 and over). In the 1970s, one needed a blood sugar of 140 or higher to be diagnosed with diabetes. Yes, I would agree that if the physician didn't tell you that having borderline numbers as a teen warranted follow-up, that was pretty negligent. That being said, not seeing a doctor for 20 years doesn't strike me as too wise, either.