The Time Change

Gar1eth
This topic is 2159 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The problem for me is that I always think the two times are done backwardly and misnamed. They seem to me to be opposite of what you'd want (if you aren't a farmer that is). We all know that days are shorter in the winter. So if I were running things, I'd want to save daylight in the winter, ie make daylight last longer into the evening. I mean when I lived in Wisconsin, it was pitch black in the winter by 5 pm. It could have been midnight. If the clock were moved ahead in the winter, maybe that could have been postponed until 6 pm.

Gman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd want to save daylight in the winter, ie make daylight last longer into the evening. I mean when I lived in Wisconsin, it was pitch black in the winter by 5 pm. It could have been midnight. If the clock were moved ahead in the winter, maybe that could have been postponed until 6 pm.

but what about the children??!!

parents will no doubt bitch and moan about the poor children standing at the bus stop in the dark.......

poster_f04e7e61830a442da6a563e88bb78d4e_102060158_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

I prefer to have more sunshine in the morning. My bedroom lit up an hour earlier.

I go to bed between 10PM and 10:30PM and get up between 8AM and 9AM. It will take me awhile to adjust to the time change. I stayed up an extra hour last night hoping that helps.

Given you don't leave your home, why are you concerned about the time at which you wake up? As long as you do wake up, you are starting the day out right. If you don't wake up, the time still won't matter because, um, well, you will be, you know...

I am voting against the proposition on the ballot in CA to allow the state to go on permanent DST. I am a morning person, and I hate getting up in the dark during the last weeks of DST; that would last for months if we were on DST all year long.

I wonder if California were to go DST year round how that might affect broadcast television?

Broadcasters would adjust: we would be on MST all winter, just as AZ is now on PDT all summer.

Thanks! Sounds good to me.

I like when it gets dark early.

I once worked at a mortuary as a nightman - 5PM to 8AM (9AM on the weekends). One job was to turn on the outside sign. I loved coming to work in the Winter and seeing that the sign was already on!

For some reason I have many clocks that are not connected to any internet link that would make sure they automatically changed. I guess it is for the looks of the clocks. At any rate, I have to go from room to room and manually change them (sometimes with a ladder). It takes like 15 mins.

If you are changing clocks with a ladder you should try using a hammer instead.

smashing-time-3732857.jpg

For some reason I have many clocks that are not connected to any internet link that would make sure they automatically changed. I guess it is for the looks of the clocks. At any rate, I have to go from room to room and manually change them (sometimes with a ladder). It takes like 15 mins.

If you are changing clocks with a ladder you should try using a hammer instead.

smashing-time-3732857.jpg

I bought a clock one time but it was very complicated and I was not able to set it so I was going to take it back the next day. I don't know what I did but the alarm went off in the middle of the night even though the time was not set.

I could not make it stop. So I put the clock in a paper sack and took a hammer and I beat the clock to death!!!

I have two clocks. One in the Office, One in the Kitchen.

I bought a clock one time but it was very complicated and I was not able to set it so I was going to take it back the next day. I don't know what I did but the alarm went off in the middle of the night even though the time was not set.

I could not make it stop. So I put the clock in a paper sack and took a hammer and I beat the clock to death!!!

Three siblings were killed in the Indiana this week while waiting for their bus in the dark.

According to the local ABC News affiliate, the driver of the truck that hit the children in Rochester, IN saw "emergency lights," did not recognize them as belonging to a school bus, did not stop (despite the school bus's stop sign being extended), and did not see the children crossing in front of her truck until it was too late to stop. Additionally, parents who live in the mobile home park where this occurred have repeatedly asked the school district to move the bus stop so children do not have to cross a state highway where vehicles travel between 50 and 60 MPH. The school district is now moving the bus stop inside of the mobile home park.

This sounds more like the fault of distracted driving than it does of daylight saving time.

PS: I would abolish daylight saving time and keep standard time, but that's just me.