15 words for "kitten" in different languages that will make your heart explode

Avalon
This topic is 1943 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 6 months later...

Queens cop adopts kitten after rescuing it from drainage system

An animal-loving Queens cop has a new addition to the family after rescuing a quartet of kittens while on the job — and taking one home with him as a pet.

New cat dad Officer Rich Wong said he and his partner, Officer Shawn MacDowell, were sitting in their patrol car near Harvard Playground on 179th Place in Jamaica around 10 a.m. on June 1 when a panicked man rushed over.

“He found a group of kittens in the drainage systems of his house,” Wong, 30, told The Post.

The officers immediately followed the man to the scene and found four blue-eyed kittens had slipped through an iron grate in a basement well window and fallen 4-to-5 feet to the ground below.

Wong got onto his stomach and retrieved each of the four cats, placing them into a crate.

“Once the kittens were okay and we pulled them out, it was an uplifting moment,” he said.

Wong, who already had two cats at home and was looking to adopt a third, decided it was the perfect opportunity to rescue an animal in need.

“It was luck and perfect,” Wong, who has just over a year on the force, recalled. “I told my girl and she was excited about it.”

They named the kitty Gulu, which is the Chinese word for a cat’s “purring,” the self-proclaimed “animal lover” explained.

While MacDowell was unable to take one of the cats home with him, a different officer from the same precinct also adopted one of the kittens and named her Parzival.

The two remaining kittens were taken to the Animal Care Center in Queens.

kitten-rescue.jpg

I've always been a dog person, but have loved 3 cats in my life, and all looked like they wore grey tuxedos with white shirts and shoes. 2 belonged to friends, the third belonged to a woman I worked for who ran a company out of her home. She had a cat named Willie that had belonged to her son, & thought he was a dog. Every time I'd go there I'd play with him. He'd come when I called, roll onto his back so I could scratch his belly, and grab my hands with his paws and meow when I stopped. One day I just plopped down on the floor in the middle of the office to play with him and she said "I've never seen him respond to anybody like that before." Right on cue, he climbed onto my lap and curled up.

I've always been a dog person, but have loved 3 cats in my life, and all looked like they wore grey tuxedos with white shirts and shoes. 2 belonged to friends, the third belonged to a woman I worked for who ran a company out of her home. She had a cat named Willie that had belonged to her son, & thought he was a dog. Every time I'd go there I'd play with him. He'd come when I called, roll onto his back so I could scratch his belly, and grab my hands with his paws and meow when I stopped. One day I just plopped down on the floor in the middle of the office to play with him and she said "I've never seen him respond to anybody like that before." Right on cue, he climbed onto my lap and curled up.

I was never a "cat person" (still don't like many friends' cats) until my parents and I adopted a cat. His mother and the rest of the litter were hanging around the house and then one day the rest of them were gone. He was an absolute sweetie. Today, I have two grey tuxedo cats. One is a lap kitty and the other is a "plop down next to me kitty." That does solve the problem of who gets to sit on dad's lap. They love belly rubs and playing. One of them will flop on his back and let me give him a belly rub for a few minutes, then push my hands away with his back paws while he maneuvers around so my hands are stroking his chin. He then proceeds to hold my hand in place with his paws so I will pet him. He will sit next to me for hours.