Airline Deal of the Day: A $16,000 seat for $675!

Whitman
This topic is 2008 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For a few hours over the New Year's holiday, Cathay Pacific mistakenly sold first class, lie-flat seats from Vietnam to Canada at a price of $675 round trip. Typically, those seats go for $16,000 round trip. (Yes, you read that right.)

Once the error was spotted, the airline fixed it. Airlines are not required to honor such fares. When they don't, they cancel any reservations made and inform ticket holders that they have to rebook their trips. In this case, because the gap between the correct and incorrect fares was so wide, most observers did not expect Cathay to honor the $675 fares. Today, Cathay announced via Twitter that it would:

Happy 2019 all, and to those who bought our good - VERY good - surprise ‘special’ on New Year’s Day, yes, we made a mistake, but we look forward to welcoming you on board with your ticket issued. Hope this will make your 2019 ‘special’ too!

#promisemadepromisekept #lessonlearnt

3:01 AM - Jan 2, 2019

I have a buddy who scored one of those tickets......I tried later after he clued me in and missed out......only trouble for North American residents is that they have to get to Asia first to start up the el-cheapo RT tickets (the flights originate only in Vietnam).......i.e. one has to buy two one-way tickets or another round-trip ticket......or abandon the return first-class ticket to Asia after getting back home to North America on the first part of it

Edited by azdr0710

I have a buddy who scored one of those tickets......I tried later after he clued me in and missed out......only trouble for North American residents is that they have to get to Asia first to start up the el-cheapo RT tickets (the flights originate only in Vietnam).......i.e. one has to buy two one-way tickets or another round-trip ticket......or abandon the return first-class ticket to Asia after getting back home to North America on the first part of it

Clued me in as well, and for me it would only have meant a round-trip from Australia to Vietnam to make a cheap trip to North America. I wasn't ready to schedule an additional trip so didn't even try to book. Agree with @Benjamin_Nicholas that CX rocks and even without special offers (or mistakes) they are very competitive on fares from Australia.

The deal was thankfully sent to me by an eagle-eyed amigo: I bought six of these RT tickets, all in first. CX rocks and it'll earn great AA mileage.

https://onemileatatime.com/cathay-pacific-honoring-mistake-fare/

Don't the flights begin in Hanoi, not South Vietnam. Nothing against North Vietnam. I know it has been just Vietnam for decades.

But, I would want to see the many changes in and around where I spent a year in the Army in 1968-69.

(and Ho Chi Minh City)

The deal was thankfully sent to me by an eagle-eyed amigo: I bought six of these RT tickets, all in first. CX rocks and it'll earn great AA mileage.

https://onemileatatime.com/cathay-pacific-honoring-mistake-fare/

Congratulations.

Sorry to be nosy. You do have to fly to Vietnam as the origination airport to use a ticket, right? So do you plan to go to Vietnam 6 times this year?

If so, you must really like flying. Or you have a Vietnamese boyfriend. Or you plan on finding a Vietnamese boyfriend. :p

long_JXYC.jpg

Congratulations.

Sorry to be nosy. You do have to fly to Vietnam as the origination airport to use a ticket, right? So do you plan to go to Vietnam 6 times this year?

If so, you must really like flying. Or you have a Vietnamese boyfriend. Or you plan on finding a Vietnamese boyfriend. :p

Yes and yes. As for flying, it comes with the territory... 'Like' not always, but it could be worse ;)

Now that you mention it, I could find a sexy Asian boyfriend while I'm there.

I really do have a Vietnamese BF. I am going through a little medical issue so couldn’t pick dates. Plus he can’t get a visa to come to the US . We live on Bangkok and spend time in Hanoi. Great airport to start your trips. I got about 20 phone calls from friends telling me about the fares. Most of my trips are on Cathay so would have been perfect.

I guess good things come in pairs. Just snagged this one too. This was another ridiculous deal that I believe is now dead:

https://onemileatatime.com/1500-business-class-australia/?fbclid=IwAR2hYsVtDAnbBbaRNcpOIqb6ei2EdmOMaQKdPq62o-ok4AwgVikL_DKuNgo

Yep...looks like the deal is dead.

Congrats on snagging it.

Let us know if Air New Zealand honors it.

Any suggestions for getting notifications when these crazy fares pop up?

Yep...looks like the deal is dead.

Congrats on snagging it.

Let us know if Air New Zealand honors it.

Any suggestions for getting notifications when these crazy fares pop up?

Google Alerts are a big help: Keywords that will immediately send the article or post to an email address.

I also have a few small private FB groups that I belong to on the internet that scour the web all day in search of these things.

I give AZ a good chance honoring this, especially after how kindly CX handled theirs. We'll see.