Nouveau Riche: soooo tacky!

samhexum
This topic is 2061 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It’s risky to have multimillion dollar artworks aboard one’s yacht, it turns out.

During a panel at the Superyacht Investor conference at the Landmark Hotel last week in London my invitation must've gotten lost in the mail, Pandora Mather-Lees REALLY?!? you know her real name is something like Mathilde Smith— who instructs billionaires on how to care for their priceless art pieces on the high seas — recalled an unfortunate incident involving breakfast cereal and a Jean-Michel Basquiat piece.

“[The yacht owner’s] kids had thrown their cornflakes at [the Basquiat] over breakfast on his yacht because they thought it was scary,” Mather-Lees said, according to the Guardian. “And the crew had made the damage worse by wiping them off the painting.”

Helen Robertson, a conservator at the National Museum in London’s Greenwich, was also on the panel, the paper reports, and recalled another incident in which a Champagne cork struck a multimillion-dollar canvas when the crew had a party.

Another expert explained how his swanky client had cut up an expensive work by famed Japanese artist Takashi Murakami so that it would fit into a space on board that also doubled as a kind of garage for Jet Skis.

Another client hung a Rothko sideways.

Art accidents happen on land and sea. Not sure why precautions in the talk are limited to just the sea. I remember a few years ago when Wynn put his elbow through a Picasso.

A more recent classic is a woman taking a selfie and knocking over pedestals:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/video/woman-causes-200000-worth-of-damage-taking-selfie-at-art-exhibit/2017/07/14/59eb9cd2-68c7-11e7-94ab-5b1f0ff459df_video.html

Fortunately, her actions were caught on video.

Ah, ‘tis better to be nouveau than not riche at all. ?

And as Jim Williams says in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil:

I'm what they call "nouveau riche," but then, it's only the "riche" that counts.

:)

Art accidents happen on land and sea. Not sure why precautions in the talk are limited to just the sea. I remember a few years ago when Wynn put his elbow through a Picasso.

That was a fascinating story, as Le Reve was in the process of being sold when Wynn had the accident. It was eventually repaired and sold for $155 million.

Interesting side story: Wynn Las Vegas was originally going to be called Le Reve, but Steve's marketing team eventually convinced him to change it to his namesake to make it easier for tourists to understand. He conceded to move the name to the aquatic show, which still runs in one of the property's theaters today.

I am

Speechless.

Hung a Rothko

S i d e w a y s ? ? ? ?

:);):);):);):);):);)

his tendency toward horizontal orientation should be apparent to everyone, right? I wonder how the client would feel to know he was a feature in this panel discussion...

Phyliss Diller would do the same. If it’s good enough for her then it’s good don the nouveau riche