Would someone explain the logic on that Stanford ex-student?

This topic is 1890 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Did you guys catch the news on the Chinese student, Yusi Zhao, whose parents paid $6.5 million US to get her admitted to Stanford University? I don't get the logic at all. If you've got an extra $6.5 million, couldn't you just spend $1.5 million for a decent house, then have her live off of the interest of the remaining $5 million? I'd think one could live comfortably that way. How could a Stanford degree (it looks as though she had a sociology major before she was kicked out) ever be worth that amount of money? Am I missing something? Where's the logic?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/us/yusi-molly-zhao-china-stanford.html

Did you guys catch the news on the Chinese student, Yusi Zhao, whose parents paid $6.5 million US to get her admitted to Stanford University? I don't get the logic at all. If you've got an extra $6.5 million, couldn't you just spend $1.5 million for a decent house, then have her live off of the interest of the remaining $5 million? I'd think one could live comfortably that way. How could a Stanford degree (it looks as though she had a sociology major before she was kicked out) ever be worth that amount of money? Am I missing something? Where's the logic?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/us/yusi-molly-zhao-china-stanford.html

Her father is worth at least $2 billion. $6.5 million is nothing when the family's honor is on the line. Plus, it's entirely possible his company paid the fee, though he denies it. Lastly, I wouldn't be surprised if he planned to use her position at Stanford to get approval to buy a residence for her and provide support, which would've allowed him to move many millions more out of China.