Hotel accessible rooms...

Boy4
This topic is 1949 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Why is it OK for hotels to put able bodied persons in accessible rooms?... I mean parking spots and bathroom stalls are off limits right?

If they aren’t booked, of course. I’ve scored big time by accepting an accessible SUITE that had no takers rather than the regular room I’d booked. I also get these randomly without comment all the time. I check in, go to the assigned room and start to notice - hmmm. The bathroom is really big and the door opens out. The shower has no lip. There are garb bars everywhere. The terlet is high. Oh. This is an accessible room. No prob.

Why is it OK for hotels to put able bodied persons in accessible rooms?... I mean parking spots and bathroom stalls are off limits right?

As with bathroom stalls, accessible rooms are sort of honor-system.

And if they put you in one and a really handicapped customer shows up needing it, don't think for a second they won't move you.

As with bathroom stalls, accessible rooms are sort of honor-system.

And if they put you in one and a really handicapped customer shows up needing it, don't think for a second they won't move you.

They tend to not just “show up”. There’s a place to book such a room when you reserve. Not the same as a bathroom stall stall at all.

They tend to not just “show up”. There’s a place to book such a room when you reserve. Not the same as a bathroom stall stall at all.

Of course it is. You can book it online without any proof. Honor system.

But if they put you in one without asking and a customer shows up with reservation or not and needs it, you will be moved. Hotels move guests all the time. And once I was offered an accessible room with the condition that if it was needed, I would be moved.

Edited by tassojunior

Handicapped parking is reserved for only handicapped drivers, not for use by able-bodied persons. Accessible lodging and restroom stalls are provided for the use of handicapped patrons, but not restricted to them only. I have no qualms myself about using a handicapped stall in a busy restroom- and if a hotel assigns me to an accessible room, it's no issue to me.

...I mean parking spots and bathroom stalls are off limits right?

At my office, the men's room closest to my office has two urinals (one standard height and one lower) and one handicapped stall. The next closest men's room has two stalls (one handicapped) and the lower height urinal. I don't think the expectation is for the nearly 100 men to wait to use the two options for able-bodied individuals to leave the four handicapped accessible stations remain vacant to provide the one disabled colleague to use.

Funny, sometimes I LOVE accessible rooms.

I’m all for huge open bathrooms.

And some times I hate them. Especially when they

look more like hospital rooms than nice hotel rooms.

Design is everything.

When I’m offered an accessible room, I ask to see

it before I accept. Unfortunately, most of them are

poorly designed and I decline 90% of the time.

Funny, sometimes I LOVE accessible rooms.

I’m all for huge open bathrooms.

And some times I hate them. Especially when they

look more like hospital rooms than nice hotel rooms.

Design is everything.

When I’m offered an accessible room, I ask to see

it before I accept. Unfortunately, most of them are

poorly designed and I decline 90% of the time.

Usually in the US they are ugly and look like hospital rooms. But often in Europe they can be much bigger than normal. At the desk's recommendation because they were out of upgrades I got a 1st floor accessible at the Crown Plaza Zurich recently and it was much bigger and nicer than a normal room. So in places with cubicle-size rooms----limp!

Not handicapped, but between my osteoarthritis, which at times makes it difficult to climb over the side of the tub, and occasional episodes of positional vertigo (BPPV), which makes a grab bar a benefit, I often request an accessible room just to make life easier.

Often, I forgo the accessible room because they are connecting rooms, which I hate. If the shower has a flat floor, and only a night or two, I'll deal with it.

The best accessible bathroom I experienced for my needs was the Intercontinental in Century City. Non-connecting, wide bathroom, flat floor to walk into the shower, a grab bar all around, and a small seat suspended from the grab bar opposite the shower nozzle.

...The best accessible bathroom I experienced for my needs was the Intercontinental in Century City. Non-connecting, wide bathroom, flat floor to walk into the shower, a grab bar all around, and a small seat suspended from the grab bar opposite the shower nozzle.

Sounds ideal for an evening that includes watersports. Thanks for the tip!!

Sounds ideal for an evening that includes watersports. Thanks for the tip!!

LOL. It was was several years ago, so memory may not be correct, but it was 2nd floor, close to the elevator, may have been 201. Have fun.

Edit - forgot to mention, there was a hand held shower nozzle to wash specific areas.

Edited by bashful