Stonewall 50!

ericwinters
This topic is 1938 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Who's going? I am. I was there for Stonewall 25 and fell compelled to get there for 50.

Any fun, unique, or other points of interest to check ot while in town?

I'm never in NYC when it's warm so in excited. Usually I visit around Christmas.

There is an exhibit at the New York Public Library called "Love & Resistance: Stonewall 50". It's on my list of things to see this weekend.

https://www.nypl.org/stonewall50

Sigh....I came oh, so close to being part of history. I lived within walking distance of the Stonewall, but on that fateful night we decided to go to bed early instead of going out to the bars, and we didn't learn about what happened until the next day.

Who's going? I am. I was there for Stonewall 25 and fell compelled to get there for 50.

I'm never in NYC when it's warm so in excited. Usually I visit around Christmas.

Madonna and Grace Jones are headlining Pride Island but the ticket prices have spiked to a whopping $650 on third party websites. Most of the major events are sold out as it’s World Pride in NYC this year..but if you visit the official website there are a plethora of more low key events in the program such as exhibitions, workshops, and more intimate events in contrast to everything else which is on a grand scale.

i don't know how long you'll be here and what you might be interested in as far an non-pride related things goes, but i always recommend checking out the transit museum - it's in an unused subway station in brooklyn and is a great look at the history of the subway, including tons of old cars - also, economy candy and essex market on the lower east side are fun spots to check out - for more touristy but outdoors options, the highline is a nice walk, and there's a restaurant on a boat at the end - also, there are cruises around manhattan that go during the day or at sunset that are incredible, and really give you a beautiful view of the city - in brooklyn there are a whole ton of other things - vintage shopping, a unique gin bar i love (and a whisky bar that will knock your socks off), flea markets, good music venues - i could go on and on

i've been in the city for a long time and have tons of ideas if anyone else needs suggestions (especially non-pride related things) - and, of course, i'm around if you'd like some company while you're running around nyc (or after, when you need to unwind!)

for pride-related activities, i'll be attending the queer liberation march instead of the "official" parade - otherwise, i'm not into the parties so much

I usually go there on the 2nd part of January when hotel prices are 25% of the average and there are no lines.

Back to subject:

The movie is pretty whitewashed but historically accurate for Hollywood standards.

Touché. I can endorse the High Line and the transit museum was somewhere I wanted to see. And I can vouch for Eric as a delightful luncheon companion. I'm sure others would take that further.

I'm going to check the high line ott and look for the artist who has the larger than life sculpture. I feel terrible I can't recall her name but her studio is in Philadelphia.