I’m liking this new legislation on RMD for IRAs

Beancounter
This topic is 1933 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/retirement/T032-C000-S002-new-law-could-change-rules-for-ira-withdrawals.html

It appears new legislation will be passed regarding IRAs and when required minimum distributions have to be taken. I realize everyone’s situation is different but I view these changes as positive. Of course, those that might inherit anything left of my IRA might not like the changes.....screw ‘em! I’ll be dead. :D

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/retirement/T032-C000-S002-new-law-could-change-rules-for-ira-withdrawals.html

It appears new legislation will be passed regarding IRAs and when required minimum distributions have to be taken. I realize everyone’s situation is different but I view these changes as positive. Of course, those that might inherit anything left of my IRA might not like the changes.....screw ‘em! I’ll be dead. :D

Sorry to disagree, I am not a fan of the changes. Doing my best to shelter my savings from Uncle Sam's grubby hands, but this change will force earlier RMDs for those that inherit an IRA. Spent a lot of time with my nephews and nieces, teaching them the principles of compounding interest and the value of money specifically so that when they inherit they will be forearmed. This change will be to their detriment. :(

My goal in retirement will be to convert my tax sheltered investments into Roth accounts. Fuck the giv’mint! I’ll pay tax on my conversion, then my heirs will have tax-free investments with NO RMD.

I’m just waiting to be in a lower tax bracket.

I’m also making after tax contributions to Traditional IRA and converting to Roth immediately to make up for my limited 401(k) contributions because I’m ‘highly-compensated’ restricted in my company.

Edited by instudiocity

My goal in retirement will be to convert my tax sheltered investments into Roth accounts. Fuck the giv’mint! I’ll pay tax on my conversion, then my heirs will have tax-free investments with NO RMD.

I’m just waiting to be in a lower tax bracket.

I’m also making after tax contributions to Traditional IRA and converting to Roth immediately to make up for my limited 401(k) contributions because I’m ‘highly-compensated’ restricted in my company.

Do check with your investment adviser or tax guy - your heirs will likely have required minimum distributions. And the new legislation will accelerate those RMDs. Hence, I am not a fan.