Kosher meals on airlines

This topic is 1883 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Once upon a time airline food was edible. Those days are long gone. Years ago I learned to carry my own food not because I require a special diet but because I think airline food is not worth eating. I'm flying to London next month and I will carry a couple of dry sandwiches along with packets of mustard and mayonnaise, some fresh carrots, celery and broccoli plus some dried fruit. I also carry biscotti to have as dessert.

I am currently in the process of planning a trip to Bali and Singapore. The flights between LAX and Singapore are nonstop and are 19+ hours each way. Because of the length of these flight I intend to splurge and fly business class. Even flying business I will most likely carry some of my own food and pick and choose from what the airlines offers.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently in the process of planning a trip to Bali and Singapore. The flights between LAX and Singapore are nonstop and are 19+ hours each way. Because of the length of these flights I intend to splurge and fly business class. Even flying business I will most likely carry some of my own food and pick and choose from what the airlines offer.

If by chance you are flying United Airlines and are, as you wrote, flying business class, you are authorized to access and use the United Polaris lounge at the airports.

There are no costs associated with the use of the Polaris lounges.

The reason I mention this lounge is that it is different from all other airline lounges at airports.

There is a wonderful restaurant in each Polaris lounge and the food is equal to the quality of the finest restaurants available.

There is a menu in the Polaris lounge restaurant and you select what you want from the menu. There are no prices on the menu and you cannot pay for the food. Several times I attempted to "tip" the waiter but each time I was told that tipping is not allowed in the Polaris lounges.

This type of fancy lounge is a relatively new feature at United Airlines. I cannot imagine it will last long, but it could.

Like I wrote, if you are on United, enjoy the wonderful food in the Polaris lounge at the airport.

So, if you are using United Airlines, you will not need to bring along any food. The Polaris lounges have every type of excellent food available.

Edited by coriolis888

Once upon a time airline food was edible. Those days are long gone. Years ago I learned to carry my own food not because I require a special diet but because I think airline food is not worth eating..

Do they let you carry food through security?

Do they let you carry food through security?

I’ve never had problems with TSA and my bringing food and snacks. One TSA agent even told me that I could bring frozen bottle waters and juices through TSA, just not in liquid form? I’ve never tested that.

If by chance you are flying United Airlines and are, as you wrote, flying business class, you are authorized to access and use the United Polaris lounge at the airports.

There are no costs associated with the use of the Polaris lounges.

The reason I mention this lounge is that it is different from all other airline lounges at airports.

There is a wonderful restaurant in each Polaris lounge and the food is equal to the quality of the finest restaurants available.

There is a menu in the Polaris lounge restaurant and you select what you want from the menu. There are no prices on the menu and you cannot pay for the food. Several times I attempted to "tip" the waiter but each time I was told that tipping is not allowed in the Polaris lounges.

This type of fancy lounge is a relatively new feature at United Airlines. I cannot imagine it will last long, but it could.

Like I wrote, if you are on United, enjoy the wonderful food in the Polaris lounge at the airport.

So, if you are using United Airlines, you will not need to bring along any food. The Polaris lounges have every type of excellent food available.

United has Polaris

American has Flagship Lounges

Delta is toying with a premium-class lounge-within-a-lounge concept as well

US-based airlines are finally getting smart and learning from foreign carriers: Treat your bread & butter better.

As for Polaris lasting, they continue to build them in other airports and their J/F-class revenues are up. They'll be around awhile.

I’ve never had problems with TSA and my bringing food and snacks. One TSA agent even told me that I could bring frozen bottle waters and juices through TSA, just not in liquid form? I’ve never tested that.

Frozen liquids are fine. Reason is explosive agents won’t freeze.

I did wonder for a second if his post was copy written by the UA marketing department ;)

I am destined never to experience one of these UA lounges (OK perhaps if I were flying Air New Zealand or Singapore Airlines and they didn't have a lounge in that US port), so the only ones I can comment on are Admirals and Flagship at JFK and One World and Qantas First at LAX. I wouldn't waste my time taking my own food into any of them. Even without having experienced a trans-Pacific flight with an Asian carrier, in any class, I would happily rely on their catering as well, as I do with Qantas.

I am destined never to experience one of these UA lounges (OK perhaps if I were flying Air New Zealand or Singapore Airlines and they didn't have a lounge in that US port), so the only ones I can comment on are Admirals and Flagship at JFK and One World and Qantas First at LAX. I wouldn't waste my time taking my own food into any of them. Even without having experienced a trans-Pacific flight with an Asian carrier, in any class, I would happily rely on their catering as well, as I do with Qantas.

Qantas's gin bar at LHR makes me a happier person, as does their dress code in their lounges.

I'm glad to see they're pushing for a larger presence in the States.

Qantas's gin bar at LHR makes me a happier person, as does their dress code in their lounges.

There are dozens of small distilleries here, many of them using Australian botanical aromatics in their gins. I hope that Qantas is using some of them at their gin bar. And, they have a dress code?

There are dozens of small distilleries here, many of them using Australian botanical aromatics in their gins. I hope that Qantas is using some of them at their gin bar. And, they have a dress code?

Qgin.jpg

This was from a year and a half ago, so it's possible they've changed it up since.

Dress code: No bare feet, no flip-flops, no ripped clothing, no obscene writing on t-shirts. It's a step forward from what US-based lounges have, which is next to nothing. I'm tired of seeing people look (and act) like total slobs when they fly.

My real dream is seeing the airlines nut up about 'emotional support animals'

Ummmmmm........no.

I suspect that you have not tried the Polaris lounges.

I would think the same as you regarding most airline food. However, Polaris lounges are unique. That is why I think they might not last long. They far outshine the AA lounge counterpart.

And, no, I do not represent United Airlines.

What do we think of the Centurion Lounges?

I’ve been in three and they’re ok but my travel usually puts me in the Delta Skylounges.

I’ve found the food in the Centurion lounges to be OK but pretty limited in selection. And the atmosphere isn’t any better than any other affinity lounge I’ve been in.

(Mild Rant: parents who let their kids run amok in a lounge like it was a school yard playground, climbing on furniture, playing damned video games at full volume, etc. I think the logic is that if I’m entitled to lounge access I’m also absolved of responsibility to control my children. I don’t blame the kids. They’re just doing what healthy kids do. I blame the oblivious parents. )

@Benjamin_Nicholas I’ve not heard about the Delta lounge changes you mention. Any links with info ?

Dress code: No bare feet, no flip-flops, no ripped clothing, no obscene writing on t-shirts. It's a step forward from what US-based lounges have, which is next to nothing. I'm tired of seeing people look (and act) like total slobs when they fly.

Ok, got it. I wasn't sure where you were going with that, it could have been either way. Thinking about it, Qantas Club has similar rules domestically here (and 'no ripped clothing' includes the modern trend for 'designer' ripping). Their lounges are pleasant places to be. On my first flight in a number of years (Y class and no elite status) the [male] flight attendant commented on the fact that I was wearing a jacket. (I realise this has veered far away from kosher meals, but that happens.)

That range of different gins looks great.

I suspect that you have not tried the Polaris lounges.

I would think the same as you regarding most airline food. However, Polaris lounges are unique. That is why I think they might not last long. They far outshine the AA lounge counterpart.

And, no, I do not represent United Airlines.

I have. I’ve also tried the best restaurants.

since the thread has safely drifted a bit off-topic (surprise!), I'll post this Richard Belzer skit from National Lampoon's classic 1977 "That's Not Funny, That's Sick" record album about a flight from New York to Miami.....

Edited by azdr0710

Ok, got it. I wasn't sure where you were going with that, it could have been either way. Thinking about it, Qantas Club has similar rules domestically here (and 'no ripped clothing' includes the modern trend for 'designer' ripping). Their lounges are pleasant places to be. On my first flight in a number of years (Y class and no elite status) the [male] flight attendant commented on the fact that I was wearing a jacket. (I realise this has veered far away from kosher meals, but that happens.)

That range of different gins looks great.

What ever class are I’m flying I always wear a sport coat or blazer and smile at the cabin crew who greet me as I board. It’s amazing how that improves service during the flight.