Kosher meals on airlines

This topic is 1883 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I suspect that you have not tried the Polaris lounges.

I would think the same as you regarding most airline food. However, Polaris lounges are unique. That is why I think they might not last long. They far outshine the AA lounge counterpart.

And, no, I do not represent United Airlines.

I was just joking with you on the UA comment :)

You say 'AA lounge,' but I'm not talking about the Admirals Club. I'm talking about Flagship First Dining. This AA product meets or exceeds what Polaris is doing and has rolled out faster than UA's product. The new location at DFW is well-designed and very quiet.

Based on where profits are, United will keep Polaris around for awhile. Their biz class passengers talk it up, a lot (positively). That said, to compare Polaris's food to the finest restaurants out there is a pretty big statement. I've eaten at Polaris in Houston a number of times and while great for a light meal before a long flight, it's honestly just another Sysco-supplied eatery.

American has some unique additional challenges in that they're the only US carrier who still runs a three-class cabin (four, if you could premium eco). Their Flagship product has gone through some changes, but what they have in place now is solid. I especially like the Casper bedding on the long-hauls. Not a fan of them switching from Bose to B&O for headsets, but if you're flying a lot, you've already got a pair of noise-cancelling that you like most.

I’ve not heard about the Delta lounge changes you mention. Any links with info ?

No links, not yet. Delta One Suites are finally being standardized and installed systemwide on widebodies and I've heard from a GA friend that they're going to test out a premium lounge concept at ATL in late 2020. They will be late to the party, but it'll be a needed thing consider how old many of DL's lounge spaces look.

What do we think of the Centurion Lounges?

They're a victim of their own success and what started as a great concept has now turned into a constant zoo. Even the locations that have expanded feel packed, loud, messy. I don't think Amex was expecting this response and now they can't keep up with demand.

In terms of their clientele, it's the airport lounge that I've seen the most misbehaved, selfish, rude and entitled people. Unless it's the only lounge available, I don't usually go into them.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What ever class are I’m flying I always wear a sport coat or blazer and smile at the cabin crew who greet me as I board. It’s amazing how that improves service during the flight.

Please call me dumb. I cannot imagine what service is improved?

You get assigned a seat on the flight, during the flight you are served food or a beverage or nothing, depending on the class of service you fly or your preference.

I cannot imagine what improvement a passenger would get if the passenger wore a coat and smiled at a flight attendant.

I don't mean to be difficult. I am just not able to see how a coat and a smile would improve service that you already get merely by being a passenger.

Maybe I will try your technique on my next flight.

You get assigned a seat on the flight, during the flight you are served food or a beverage or nothing, depending on the class of service you fly or your preference.

I cannot imagine what improvement a passenger would get if the passenger wore a coat and smiled at a flight attendant.

I don't mean to be difficult. I am just not able to see how a coat and a smile would improve service that you already get merely by being a passenger.

If you fly enough, you realize how little flight crews see pax actually dressed decently. They appreciate it.

This isn't rocket science. It's just human nature. You get what you give.

Centurion Lounges: totally overcrowded. No longer a pleasant experience.

Flagship Lounges: Quite good. Also quite crowded now that they allow lower level elites in. Used to be quite selective/exclusive. Not the case for 2-3 years now.

Flagship First Dining: I’ve been eligible to use the service many times but only partook once. I thought it was very mediocre. It was at LAX. The food was served lukewarm and the quality of the service was lousy. Honestly, I would have rather used the buffet in the Flagship lounge.

Polaris Lounge: well I gave up on United when Smisek was in charge. Polaris appeared after he was gone....so I have no experience.

British Airways galleries lounges: used multiple times at LHR. There are two of them at terminal 5. Totally overcrowded and unpleasant. There is also one in Terminal 5 which is quieter and feels more relaxed. I’ll be trying the Concorde Lounge at LHR on my trip in November. I understand it is nice.

If you fly enough, you realize how little flight crews see pax actually dressed decently. They appreciate it.

This isn't rocket science. It's just human nature. You get what you give.

This does not answer my question - how will a coat and smile get better service on an airplane?

The Polaris lounge in Newark is nice but it was a bit crowded when I got there in early afternoon. However, it was much nicer than the regular United club and less crowded. I have to say the regular United Club at LAX is nice and it’s big enough that it doesn’t seem too crowded.

Polaris Lounge: well I gave up on United when Smisek was in charge. Polaris appeared after he was gone....so I have no experience.

Unless you hold a strong allegiance to a particular airline, you might want to give United another chance even if only to try its Polaris lounge.

Smisek is long gone.

The quality of the restaurant food in the Polaris lounges is equal to any fine non-airline restaurant.

There is also a buffet in the Polaris lounges. That buffet food is nothing special.

Of course I’m of a certain age but I’ve had crew members take my carry on, accompany me to my seat and see that that carry on was stowed in the overhead. Not always but enough to make me want to continue the practice.

Flagship Lounges: Quite good. Also quite crowded now that they allow lower level elites in. Used to be quite selective/exclusive. Not the case for 2-3 years now.

I agree about Flagship getting crowded. They need limit it to ck/explats and paid premium.

It's why I love what AC is doing with their Signature Suite product at YYZ: Only paid J to access. No mileage awards, upgrades or status. It's one of the best lounges- if not the best lounge- in North America.

Of course I’m of a certain age but I’ve had crew members take my carry on, accompany me to my seat and see that that carry on was stowed in the overhead. Not always but enough to make me want to continue the practice.

Ah, ha! Now it makes sense. Thanks much.

I agree about Flagship getting crowded. They need limit it to ck/explats and paid premium.

It's why I love what AC is doing with their Signature Suite product at YYZ: Only paid J to access. No mileage awards, upgrades or status. It's one of the best lounges- if not the best lounge- in North America.

For the uninitiated, @Benjamin_Nicholas is rating Air Canada’s Signature Suite lounge at the Toronto airport. Unfortunately Air Canada doesn’t fly to Laredo TX.

This highlights something of a dilemma. AC has this at Pearson, but I suspect nowhere else. Airlines have to have enough traffic at any airport to justify establishing any sort of lounge. My guess is AC only have enough paid J pax to justify their Signature Suite at one airport (so far). Airlines have to balance the selectivity of their lounge access against the volume of traffic that would make a business case for setting one up. You can see that when some airlines share lounges (One World at LAX international terminal) or arrange access for their passengers to another airline's lounge (QF uses Air France's at SFO). (Having set up the Qantas Club, with access by membership subscription, paid or upgraded premium cabin and gold elite status, the lounges became crowded. In recent years they set up Business lounges at their busiest domestic ports for [any] J class and platinum elite status.)

This highlights something of a dilemma. AC has this at Pearson, but I suspect nowhere else. Airlines have to have enough traffic at any airport to justify establishing any sort of lounge. My guess is AC only have enough paid J pax to justify their Signature Suite at one airport (so far). Airlines have to balance the selectivity of their lounge access against the volume of traffic that would make a business case for setting one up. You can see that when some airlines share lounges (One World at LAX international terminal) or arrange access for their passengers to another airline's lounge (QF uses Air France's at SFO). (Having set up the Qantas Club, with access by membership subscription, paid or upgraded premium cabin and gold elite status, the lounges became crowded. In recent years they set up Business lounges at their busiest domestic ports for [any] J class and platinum elite status.)

Good post and good points.

It makes sense for AC to have this at YYZ considering it's their main trans-pacific hub. Lots of people who's companies have no problem buying them premium class seats. The cup runneth over.

If always having a lounge is important to a traveler, I'd suggest a combo of elite status and Priority Pass (or, an Amex Plat).

It makes sense for AC to have this at YYZ considering it's their main trans-pacific hub.

I believe that YVR is the main trans-pacific hub for AC. However, YYZ almost surely has the most number of daily seats going long-haul international out of Canada. Therefore, YYZ has the first Signature Suite lounge in the network which, as you say, makes perfect sense. As the article you linked above states, YUL and YVR are likely to follow. Hard to imagine any other any other city in Canada getting the lounge after that as their number of long-haul flights pales in comparison to the top three hubs in Canada.

Anyway, the Signature Suite is an interesting concept and sounds very nice. Not sure I'll ever get to try it as I never fly long-haul on AC. I'm too connected to Oneworld….at least for the time being.

Re Centurion Lounges: they have indeed become more crowded, esp. SEA and DFW. I’ve been impressed with one in PHL, though. Priority Pass comes with Platinum status and they’re a step above sitting in the concourse in places like Belgrade, Sarajevo and Kiev. Lufthansa lounges at FRA are particularly mundane, and the club complex at AMS is a mess.

I’ll have to try the BA club lounge at LHR next month, though I have a short connection onwards to Kiev. I was shocked that BA charges ~$125 to choose a biz class seat in advance! I looked up the usual comment blogs and all agreed that this is a pretty awful practice.

On the subject of their Signature Suite, the definition of 'paid' J-class comes up. Some airlines have business upgrades via internal entitlements but many only give them for substantial numbers of points. I wonder if a business seat that cost the passenger 50K FF points counts as 'paid' or 'upgrade'?

Back to special meals....yesterday I was happily ensconced in 2B in United “first class” (hah!) Honolulu to LAX. 1B has a special meal....I could hear some debate about it in the galley. Woman got served the special (I’m not sure what special she’d requested ) but apparently it was a cluster-F. Not hot, not right, much chatter, woman ended up with a BOB from economy.

My cheese ravioli was a disaster, warm cookie 2 hours later was a delight ?

Back to special meals....yesterday I was happily ensconced in 2B in United “first class” (hah!) Honolulu to LAX. 1B has a special meal....I could hear some debate about it in the galley. Woman got served the special (I’m not sure what special she’d requested ) but apparently it was a cluster-F. Not hot, not right, much chatter, woman ended up with a BOB from economy.

My cheese ravioli was a disaster, warm cookie 2 hours later was a delight ?

Speaking of aircraft food, how about this?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airplane-food-expiration-date/

The most disgusting part of the article is this:

"Next time you’re chowing down at 35,000 feet, you might catch a glimpse of your meal’s manufacture date and discover that your produce and protein were put into that little plastic tub months ago — maybe even more than a year before your flight."

Yikes - - - -

On the subject of their Signature Suite, the definition of 'paid' J-class comes up. Some airlines have business upgrades via internal entitlements but many only give them for substantial numbers of points. I wonder if a business seat that cost the passenger 50K FF points counts as 'paid' or 'upgrade'?

To access the lounge, AC requires a paid (no miles, no status) J ticket.

You can find a discounted J ticket, but it's still got to be paid for and not through using miles.

Re Centurion Lounges: they have indeed become more crowded, esp. SEA and DFW. I’ve been impressed with one in PHL, though. Priority Pass comes with Platinum status and they’re a step above sitting in the concourse in places like Belgrade, Sarajevo and Kiev. Lufthansa lounges at FRA are particularly mundane, and the club complex at AMS is a mess.

The best PP lounges are in Asia. They're beautiful, quiet and easy to settle into.

Recently spent a few hours at BKK and thought the Miracle First Class lounge in A was tops.