Smile too wide?

Bilbo
This topic is 6314 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Why do I slightly mistrust a smile when it shows the teeth all the way to the back of the mouth? I think that the guy is meaning to smile, and quite honest and friendly about it, but somehow to me it signals that he's trying too hard. A "chorus boy" smile, if you would. Am I wrong? Is this just the natural smile for some people? Am I the only one who gets "bothered" (probably too strong a word) by this?

Yes, even I know that this is a dumb question, but it has stayed with me for some time, so, there it is.

BTW, Happy Fourth of July, everybody!

RE: Smile too wide? Glad ya' asked!

Your instincts are right on. Don't we all know somebody like this?

PS: I am STILL a sucker for a pretty smile!

http://primate_behaviour.homestead.com/files/Ggorilla2.gif 

Narcissism (N): The stereotypic acts associated with the trait of narcissism include flaunting body posturing, expansive arm gestures, bowing, colorful self-adornment, and a natural attraction to the limelight of personal recognition.  Individuals of the N type are competitive but non-aggressive in their strivings for recognition.  The trait corresponds to a striving for glory in one's environment, hence is the second main component of human ambition.  In a psychiatric connotation the unbridled trait of narcissism may reveal itself in the context of vanity, exhibitionism, and messianism.  An associated innate facial expression is the radiant gingival smile of recognition (broadly exposing gums and teeth).  The facial complexion tends toward blood red or ruddy in individuals of light skin color.  Hallmarks of the trait include blushing, flushing, and a mass discharge of the parasympathetic nervous system:  the narcissistic rage of defense and withdrawal.  During the expression of this rage the normally sanguine complexion becomes even more florid.

RE: What's the first?

Aggression (A): The stereotypic acts associated with this trait involve body posturing, gestures and eye contact of intimidation and deference, with individuals having this trait continually competing with each other on a scale of dominance and submission. The trait corresponds to a striving for power over one's environment, hence is one component of competitiveness or ambition. In a pejorative connotation the trait may reveal itself in the context of sadism or sadomasochism. The facial complexion is non-sanguine, i.e., tending toward sallowness or pallor in individuals of light skin color. The hallmark of the trait is a mass discharge of the sympathetic nervous system: the "flight or fight" response or the aggressive-vindictive rage. During the expression of this rage, the facial complexion of pallor is accentuated.

Any of this ring a bell? Perhaps we should continue this discussion in the Fetish Forum? :)

Not since you highlighted "perjorative". Such a judgemental word. Besides, while that is one way to get to BDSM, it's not the only one.

BTW, I don't think you've credited the book, or whatever, which you are quoting. Where did you find these things?

Some of this stuff is pretty dry but, if you’re really interested in the theories behind it, you can try Googling “personality psychology”. The specific pieces I quoted can be found under NPA Personality Theory. (NPA stands for Narcissism, Perfectionism, and Aggression.): http://narcissism.homestead.com/

I believe the reason the author used the word “pejorative” was to acknowledge, as you did, that some people do put a value judgment on these traits. (In another article, he used the word "psychiatric" rather than the word "pejorative".: http://primate_behaviour.homestead.com/ ).

Since they’re being discussed as genetic traits, which someone either inherits or doesn’t, I personally wouldn’t put a value judgment on any of them. For me, a value judgment would come into play only when one person intentionally harms another person, without the informed consent of the other person. I certainly wouldn’t use any of this to judge BDSM, or even a too-wide smile.

Of course, that’s a whole other discussion. I'm not sure of your views on BDSM but, at present, I don't have a horse in that race.

The reasons I responded to your question initially are because (1) you indicated it was a question that had been with you for some time, and (2) I thought the picture was funny and spoke directly to the feeling of mistrust you mentioned when seeing a “too wide smile”. I’m not sure if it provided any insight, or a smile of any kind, but I hope so.

Also, I hope your Fourth of July was a happy one!

I think you did, babe. I happen to be available as a Master for Hire, amongst other things.

I have a minister at my church who has other ministers read part of his sermons for him. At first I thought that he was quoting other people in those passages, and asked him to please let us know who said what. Turned out that he himself had written most of them. I thought that this was theatrically and intellectually a no-no. So, that is why I am more sensitive about that kind of thing right now.

Of course, feelings of narcissism can be used as a protective shield, too. A young man being photgraphed nude for the first time is in a very vulnerable position. And has to think that he is worth being photographed or he's simply doing something really stupid and getting used.

Between this kind of self protection and the natural aggressiveness of starting out in a game, my, weren't there a lot of these kinds of smiles last night night in the first program of this Summer's Big Brother, eh?

Guest zipperzone

>Better that the smile is too wide than the asshole too wide.

And we have several of them around here.

Archived