Broadchurch

Whitman
This topic is 1451 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Not so long ago, I'd never heard of Olivia Colman. I didn't recognize the name when I heard she'd be taking over Claire Foy's role (as QE2) in The Crown. Then I saw her in The Favourite for which, of course, she won an Academy Award, and gave one of the daffiest and most endearing acceptance speeches ever--with callouts to Glenn Close and Lady Gaga ...

… and then, after that, I saw her in Fleabag (Amazon Prime, 2 thumbs up), and finally I started looking for everything else she'd done and, very belatedly, found Broadchurch (on Netflix). It's old news--a British crime drama series, co-starring David Tennant, originally shown on ITV for three seasons between 2013 and 2017--but I can't find a thread about it here. So … just in case anyone likes a good British crime drama and missed this one, all three seasons are on Netflix.

Highly recommended.

Not so long ago, I'd never heard of Olivia Colman. I didn't recognize the name when I heard she'd be taking over Claire Foy's role (as QE2) in The Crown. Then I saw her in The Favourite for which, of course, she won an Academy Award, and gave one of the daffiest and most endearing acceptance speeches ever--with callouts to Glenn Close and Lady Gaga ...

… and then, after that, I saw her in Fleabag (Amazon Prime, 2 thumbs up), and finally I started looking for everything else she'd done and, very belatedly, found Broadchurch (on Netflix). It's old news--a British crime drama series, co-starring David Tennant, originally shown on ITV for three seasons between 2013 and 2017--but I can't find a thread about it here. So … just in case anyone likes a good British crime drama and missed this one, all three seasons are on Netflix.

Highly recommended.

Hi, I also thought Broadchurch was very well done. The Brits seem to have a number of these series that last for three or four shows for two or three seasons. Often a couple of years apart. I expect, that must give the main actors (Sherlock another example of this) a break and a chance to work on other projects. High quality often.

Edited by RealAvalon

...The Brits seem to have a number of these series that last for three or four shows for two or three seasons. Often a couple of years apart …

Exactly right … and often with an actor you saw in one of the series showing up in another.

… High quality often …

Yes. Really well written and well played.

Another excellent one (in the crime drama category) is Happy Valley, which stars a terrific actress named Sarah Lancashire as a police sergeant in West Yorkshire. (Her sister is played by Siobhan Finneran who was the nasty lady's maid, Miss O'Brien, in Downton Abbey.) There are only two seasons of this one, both available on Netflix.

Exactly right … and often with an actor you saw in one of the series showing up in another.

Another excellent one (in the crime drama category) is Happy Valley, which stars a terrific actress named Sarah Lancashire as a police sergeant in West Yorkshire. (Her sister is played by Siobhan Finneran who was the nasty lady's maid, Miss O'Brien, in Downton Abbey.) There are only two seasons of this one, both available on Netflix.

I highly recommend Last Tango in Halifax. It's a great story, with great acting. Two older widowers reconnect via Facebook with their childhood sweet hearts, and get a second chance.

I highly recommend Last Tango in Halifax. It's a great story, with great acting. Two older widowers reconnect via Facebook with their childhood sweet hearts, and get a second chance.

Completely agree about Last Tango, @RealAvalon. As you'll know, Sarah Lancashire--who I'd mentioned as the star of Happy Valley--is in that too. Both shows were created/written by Sally Wainwright.

I thought Last Tango was over, but word is there will be four new episodes next year:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-05-27/last-tango-in-halifax-returns-four-new-episodes-sally-wainwright-bbc1/

Completely agree about Last Tango, @RealAvalon. As you'll know, Sarah Lancashire--who I'd mentioned as the star of Happy Valley--is in that too. Both shows were created/written by Sally Wainwright.

I thought Last Tango was over, but word is there will be four new episodes next year:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-05-27/last-tango-in-halifax-returns-four-new-episodes-sally-wainwright-bbc1/

The way the show explored the relationship between two "traditional" older people, being buffeted about by current issues and family demands, was really well done. People had trouble and argued but really loved each other in their best, most imperfect, ways. Lovely. And funny. Ta for the link.

The way the show explored the relationship between two "traditional" older people, being buffeted about by current issues and family demands, was really well done. People had trouble and argued but really loved each other in their best, most imperfect, ways. Lovely. And funny. Ta for the link.

I watched one of the earlier seasons of Last Tango in Halifax when it was on TV here and loved it for all the reasons you cite. I think I need to binge watch all the available episodes.

I could never get past the first episode of Happy Valley. Too upsetting. Maybe because I have kids

Edited by RealAvalon

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...