Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

My local Bank of America is open for inside service. The problem is that surrounding B of A branches or not open for inside service. My branch has ONE teller operating and thus the line to enter is about a one hour plus wait. I do not have a washer/dryer in my condo but the association has four laundry rooms. To use the machines I need quarters. I'm not about to wait in the bank line for over an hour to get quarters. Smart & Final has come to my rescue again and is giving me rolls of quarters when I request cash back. Hurrah for Smart & Final.

There is a branch of a large bank on the first floor of my office building that is open. But my office is downtown and this bank doesn't have a drive thru so I think that's why they are still open. The other banks downtown have closed their lobby's but have drive thru's downtown. It's a pain because they have one teller working and they only allow one customer in at a time and you have to place your deposit or withdrawl slip in a basket and step back and another employee takes it to the teller to process and brings the cash or receipt back. It was a pain last friday on the first because they had a long line and no one was social distancing outside the door and I was forced to use a side door to enter our building since I'm trying to stay six feet away from anyone.

I went to the nearby BOA office this morning to try to deposit a couple thousand dollars in CAD currency that I don't expect to use (Sorry Stockbar and Campus!). However, the line was out the door.

Guess I'll keep that cash for now.

I usually return from Montreal with about that much all ready for my next visit. On average, I've made a small profit over the years (buy low, sell high :)). Not this time! -- the CAD is down almost 7% since my last trip. :( Who knows where it will be by the time I can go back?

Man wears KKK hood while grocery shopping in California

California man who went shopping in KKK hood won’t be charged

The California man who went grocery shopping wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood last week said he didn’t mean to make “a racial statement” and won’t be facing charges, police said Monday.

The hooded creep was spotted roaming the aisles of a Vons supermarket in Santee on May 2, a day after San Diego residents were required to wear face coverings in public amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“The man expressed frustration with the coronavirus and having people tell him what he can and cannot do,” the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement to NBC News.

“He said that wearing the hood was not intended to be a racial statement. In summary, he said, ‘It was a mask and it was stupid.'”

The man’s getup drew outrage on social media and from officials in the city of almost 60,000 residents.

But the US attorney’s office and the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office investigated and didn’t find enough evidence to charge the man, who wasn’t identified by cops.

“This incident should serve as a reminder for anyone contemplating wearing or displaying items so closely associated with hate and human suffering that our society does not hold in high regard those who do so,” the sheriff’s department said in the statement.

“Santee is a city of families, and the community is rightfully disgusted at this man’s despicable behavior,” it added. “The Sheriff’s Department thoroughly investigates incidents such as these and will hold those who violate the law accountable.”

How one Brooklyn grocery store manager has survived the coronavirus crisis

When Lucy Fortune gets home from working at the Met Fresh supermarket in Brooklyn each day, she hides so that her 1-year-old son can’t see her coming in.

“I get rid of all my dirty clothes, strip down, and shower. About 30 minutes later, I go give him a hug,” Fortune, a 26-year-old assistant manager at the Bushwick grocery store, told The Post.

“I am concerned about infecting my family. It is a big concern,” she added. “When I took this job… I didn’t think [a global pandemic] would happen.”

But Fortune, who’s getting ready to graduate from nursing school, knows she plays an important role as an essential worker and has to be there not just for hungry New Yorkers, but also the staff she manages.

“You never know what you’re walking into it. But as the assistant manager you show up to work in order to show some form of encouragement, especially for my fellow employees,” said Fortune who lives in Canarsie with her husband and son.

“I am more than grateful, not only for the continued paycheck, but also for the acknowledgement from the society for taking a risk everyday to help and serve those most in need during this pandemic.”

When the pandemic first struck, “Everyone was scared,” Fortune recalled.

“We were just not sure if it was safe to come to work or if we were allowed to come to work. [but] we saw how much the community needed us to serve them and made us feel ok,” she said.

Even though Fortune and her team were grateful to serve others, dealing with the initial crowds of panicked shoppers was difficult, she said.

“People were hoarding stuff, customers were aggressive — they didn’t understand why they were limited to certain stuff at the time — like toilet paper and water,” Fortune recounted.

“Everyone is scared, we wanted everyone to have a fair chance to have items.”

After a few weeks, the store caught up to the crisis and finally, masks, gloves, and hand sanitizers arrived while plexiglass shields were installed at cash registers. The store added marks on the floor to remind customers to stand 6 feet apart and limited the number of shoppers allowed in the store at any time to 10. The chain has small stores.

“We do try our best to be careful and cautious, try to change our gloves and masks as much as possible, wash our hand,” Fortune said.

“We are working hard enough to keep it going smoothly.”

Fortune, who makes minimum wage plus overtime, was working close to 50 hours a week at the height of the virus crisis, but luckily things have “simmered down,” allowing her to focus on her family and her schoolwork at Mildred Elley.

She’s still scared about having to commute from Canarsie to Bushwick each day on the train, terrified she’ll bring the virus home to her son and husband, but she knows she can’t stop now.

“As an essential worker, I need to show support and encouragement for everyone else,” Fortune said.

“You need to put your fear behind you and walk with faith.”

hero-lucy-fortune-09.jpg

hero-lucy-fortune-06.jpg

hero-lucy-fortune-07.jpg

The California man who went grocery shopping wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood last week said he didn’t mean to make “a racial statement” and won’t be facing charges, police said Monday.

The hooded creep was spotted roaming the aisles of a Vons supermarket in Santee on May 2, a day after San Diego residents were required to wear face coverings in public amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“The man expressed frustration with the coronavirus and having people tell him what he can and cannot do,” the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement to NBC News.

“He said that wearing the hood was not intended to be a racial statement. In summary, he said, ‘It was a mask and it was stupid.'”

The man’s getup drew outrage on social media and from officials in the city of almost 60,000 residents.

But the US attorney’s office and the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office investigated and didn’t find enough evidence to charge the man, who wasn’t identified by cops.

“This incident should serve as a reminder for anyone contemplating wearing or displaying items so closely associated with hate and human suffering that our society does not hold in high regard those who do so,” the sheriff’s department said in the statement.

“Santee is a city of families, and the community is rightfully disgusted at this man’s despicable behavior,” it added. “The Sheriff’s Department thoroughly investigates incidents such as these and will hold those who violate the law accountable.”

Even if he's not a racist, but just stupid, he's allowed to vote. "God" bless democracy.

Not grocery shopping per se, but the struggle is real when you find out a brand new cookie shop just opened right next to a new Domino's Pizza within a 5 minute walkof your house, and you are trying to get in better shape.

I can resist the cookies...mmm chocolate....mmm pizza...ugh damn it I'll be right back

It is funny that this occurred in Santee, one of the East County suburbs of San Diego. When I moved to SD in 2000 folks referred to the town as "Klantee."

It's unimageable to me (from DC) that anyone would go to a grocery without a mask ( and gloves and glasses). So Im shocked here in Florida this week that even though groceries have all employees in masks and have signs at the door asking customers to wear masks, almost zero customers do wear masks. The same on the plane coming here...several people had no masks onboard the plane. WTF, this voluntarily mask thing is meaningless.

I'm finding that the more upscale the grocery store, the more people are wearing masks........I dunno........all kinds of inferences, I guess......

I've noticed the same thing, and also notice the more upscale the grocery store the better people are at staying six feet apart and honoring the one way aisles as well.

I'm not sure if it's the demographics that shop there or if it's because the more upscale stores have a lot fewer shoppers.

I'm finding that the more upscale the grocery store, the more people are wearing masks........I dunno........all kinds of inferences, I guess......

I've noticed the same thing, and also notice the more upscale the grocery store the better people are at staying six feet apart and honoring the one way aisles as well.

I'm not sure if it's the demographics that shop there or if it's because the more upscale stores have a lot fewer shoppers.

I noticed this in the Whole Foods located near Central Phoenix. Not so much in the Whole Foods located at the edge of Paradise Valley.

It's unimageable to me (from DC) that anyone would go to a grocery without a mask ( and gloves and glasses). So Im shocked here in Florida this week that even though groceries have all employees in masks and have signs at the door asking customers to wear masks, almost zero customers do wear masks. The same on the plane coming here...several people had no masks onboard the plane. WTF, this voluntarily mask thing is meaningless.

Apparently, so is this voluntary "avoid traveling" thing.

The only item that's hard to find these days is the paper towel. And it's kinda tough to find whole wheat bagels. I don't know why the white, everything, and blueberry bagels are always there in abundance, and the whole wheat unavailable.

...And it's kinda tough to find whole wheat bagels. I don't know why the white, everything, and blueberry bagels are always there in abundance, and the whole wheat unavailable.

Same here. Not even sure why there is such a thing as a blueberry bagel. They don't taste like blueberries, but they taste like hell with cream cheese/lox or ham.

Same here. Not even sure why there is such a thing as a blueberry bagel. They don't taste like blueberries, but they taste like hell with cream cheese/lox or ham.

I *rarely* get seasick and I’ve sailed thousands of offshore miles. I got seasick one morning in local waters in sight of land eating a blueberry bagel...so they are forever horrifying to me. Just reading these posts, ugh! ?

I'm scheduled, this fall, to be in Puerto Vallarta from November 7th through the 14th. I'm playing a waiting game and will decide in mid-October whether to cancel my flights and my VRBO. I'm also scheduled for "A Tour Around the Treasure Houses of England" departing September 7, 2021. If things are still closed down then suicide just might become a viable option. At soon to be 80 I do NOT intend to remain cooped up like this the rest of my life (non-life).

In a mask-optional area this week and saw a good idea. SurfStyle stores here sell surgical masks for 99 cents or will give one free with any purchase. Limit 1 per day. Stores should require masks and do this.There are enough surgical masks available now at under that price.

Edited by tassojunior

I'm scheduled, this fall, to be in Puerto Vallarta from November 7th through the 14th. I'm playing a waiting game and will decide in mid-October whether to cancel my flights and my VRBO. I'm also scheduled for "A Tour Around the Treasure Houses of England" departing September 7, 2021. If things are still closed down then suicide just might become a viable option. At soon to be 80 I do NOT intend to remain cooped up like this the rest of my life (non-life).

Mexico is one of the few countries which isn't restricting foreign visitors, and they have a low mortality rate. I also plan to go to PV late this Fall, and, although I haven't yet made my request for time off nor bought my plane tickets, I find it's pretty unlikely I'll change my plans. My doctor so far won't let me check for IgG (long-term) antibodies, but I would like to get tested when I can. I don't know if any on this forum have been tested for antibodies.... What would prompt you to cancel your trip to PV? The only reason I could think of is if there's a flare-up when the weather turns cold in the US, and Mexico takes precautions.

As I drove home, I realized that I have not filled the gas tank since I started working from home five weeks ago. And I still have more than a half tank left.

Same here. I’m getting 3 weeks to the gallon, excellent mileage! :D

the “quarantine” (I prefer “public distancing”) is getting to YOU !!!

my entire repartee with you was lighthearted, whimsical & intended as tongue firmly in cheek....

what I’ve been told is apparently the truth & nothing but - you really are no fun !!!

in spite of it all, sincere thx for your gallery contributions -

they do most always get the “juices” flowing.

I thought this was a men’s forum; come to find out it's overrun with safta yentas

I thought this was a men’s forum; come to find out it's overrun with safta yentas

Boy, you guys make me look things up, and it's tough! I put "Safta yentas" on google translate with "Detect language" and it came up with Telugu, translating it to "Soft MTS." Then I tried Yiddish and Hebrew, came out blank on Yiddish, and with Hebrew the only thing that came up was safta, which it translated as "juice." Then I tried looking it up through regular google, and I only found something for safta: " Safta means “grandmother” in Hebrew, and we think any grandmother who calls herself safta is kind of… well, badass."

https://www.kveller.com/article/safta-or-savta/

Finally, on regular google, I found yenta translated from Yiddish as "a woman who is a gossip or busybody. 'she acts like a nosy yenta'." I don't know why google translate didn't work when I put in Yiddish. So we got a badass gossiping grandma? What does that have to do with anything? Who's gossiping? Confused...

Edited by Unicorn