Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

People in my part of town seem to have a major Costco complex. Large crowds of people rush to Costco and buy out all the toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, and disinfecting wipes. Yet just down the street at my local Smart & Final and Target all of the above items are available. I really, Really, REALLY do get it other than people are as a whole idiots.

I'm to the point where I am sick and tired of this whole covid19 bullshit. Our wonderful "French Laundry" governor is again attempting to shut down the entire state. I sincerely wish people would look into what Jay Bhattacharya a Professor of Medicine at Stanford University where he received both an M.D. and a Ph.D. in economics has to say about the entire situation. People might also want to look into the Great Barrington Declaration.

Los Angeles county shutting down all in person dining Wednesday 11/25, even outside. To go and delivery meals only. Note 4th and 5th paragraph in that link, ties case counts and hospitalizations to shutdowns.

Thanks to two stupid mistakes, I am borderline hoarding paper towels and TP.

I decided to buy more paper towels, as I was down to two 6-packs and noticed The Great Paper Towel Famine was making its encore performance. While shopping online I decided to buy TP also. The only Cottenelle I could find was a 24-mega roll pack that is allegedly the equivalent of a national forest. So I bought it off Amazon. Walmart only had a 12-pack of their paper towels and I bought it. More than I wanted, but it won't spoil.

The TP arrives, I put it away, and Saturday Walmart sends me an email stating they are out of the paper towels with no delivery date in sight. CRAP! Not to worry, I can buy a different brand in a 6-roll pack for store pickup. Yippee! I accidentally bought 2 packs. No big deal, it won't spoil. I intended to cancel the original order as I had plenty of paper towels with the newfound largess courtesy of the Thomas Road Walmart.

As I put the two packages in the hatch of my SUV I received an email notification that my two 12-roll packs of paper towels had shipped. I forgot to cancel the order and, apparently, ordered two packs and not one. I will now have 50 rolls of paper towels (2 remaining from an open pack, two existing 6-packs, the two 6-packs I bought Saturday, and the two 12-packs that are on their way.)

On the plus side, I will have enough paper towels to sop up next year's monsoon.

Thanks to two stupid mistakes, I am borderline hoarding paper towels and TP.

I decided to buy more paper towels, as I was down to two 6-packs and noticed The Great Paper Towel Famine was making its encore performance. While shopping online I decided to buy TP also. The only Cottenelle I could find was a 24-mega roll pack that is allegedly the equivalent of a national forest. So I bought it off Amazon. Walmart only had a 12-pack of their paper towels and I bought it. More than I wanted, but it won't spoil.

The TP arrives, I put it away, and Saturday Walmart sends me an email stating they are out of the paper towels with no delivery date in sight. CRAP! Not to worry, I can buy a different brand in a 6-roll pack for store pickup. Yippee! I accidentally bought 2 packs. No big deal, it won't spoil. I intended to cancel the original order as I had plenty of paper towels with the newfound largess courtesy of the Thomas Road Walmart.

As I put the two packages in the hatch of my SUV I received an email notification that my two 12-roll packs of paper towels had shipped. I forgot to cancel the order and, apparently, ordered two packs and not one. I will now have 50 rolls of paper towels (2 remaining from an open pack, two existing 6-packs, the two 6-packs I bought Saturday, and the two 12-packs that are on their way.)

On the plus side, I will have enough paper towels to sop up next year's monsoon.

Bide your time, then sell the TP on eBay at 1,000% the regular price. ?

At the Costco I go to they now have a whiteboard at the entrance listing things they are out of stock of and I see hydrogen peroxide always listed on the board. Not sure why people are hoarding that. I was able to get some Kirkland paper towels weds when I was there. Paper towels are something I go through and decided to get some since the only ones I saw at Kroger were the cheap generic ones and the upscale grocery store I like to go didn't have any paper towels at all. When I was at Costco Friday I didn't pay attention to the sold out board but noticed someone in the checkout line had a pack of Kirkland TP which they've been sold out of the last few times I was there.

I wanted to make yeast rolls for myself on Thanksgiving and the grocery store was sold out of yeast again. Not sure if people are hoarding it again or if they sold out because more people were stuck at home for Thanksgiving and decided to bake bread at home, fortunately I was able to get their bakery to weigh out a little bit and sell it to me.

This afternoon I may take the plunge and buy a Toto toilet with the washlet so I don’t have to worry about TP ever again.

Great idea. Toto or any toilet bidet is super useful to getting cleaner down there... but still need a little TP for inspection purposes..lol. But seriously, my TP consumption has dropped to 25% of what it was before using a bidet.

The Toto's seem to be a bit of a committment ? you can either buy the complete toilet OR just the Bidet attachment. but since I am not sure if I will like it, I was thinking of starting with the lower priced TUSHY bidet attachments and give it a spin... They are inexpensive so I can toss it if I hate it.

Seems everyone is jumping on the clean butt trend ? ? I dont want to have FOMO.....

I will admit, up front, that I find the very idea of a bidet toilet disgusting. However, the more I think about it the more I laugh at myself.

When I was a child my family used to visit my paternal grandparents every summer. They lived in a mining camp on the outskirts of Rock Springs, Wyoming. The house had a hand pump in the kitchen to draw water but no inside plumbing. Out in the backyard there was an outhouse. My mother absolutely hated using it and always brought incense sticks along to kill the odor. Eventually my uncle bought a home in town for my grandparents. My grandmother NEVER ceased complaining about having that filthy dirty toilet in the house.

Sounds a bit like my current thinking doesn’t it? I just might have to consider changing my attitude toward bidet toilets.

Great idea. Toto or any toilet bidet is super useful to getting cleaner down there... but still need a little TP for inspection purposes..lol. But seriously, my TP consumption has dropped to 25% of what it was before using a bidet.

Ordered two today, one with the washlet. Also replaced my failed disposal with a Franke.

I was raised in a bidet country and got addicted to them. Too bad the US never adopted them, puritan ethic? The Toto is a good alternative.

I think they're only popular in Miami because Hispanics there are the wealthiest. Because of the lack of use (or even knowledge of what bidets are for) we have a high amount of cases of yeast and fungus in the gums...