Renovations

RealAvalon
This topic is 1583 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm in the planning stages for an upcoming bathroom renovations. Currently, I only have a shower and no tub. Running and biking (at my age) leave me thinking of a nice hot soak in the tub. Any bathtub suggestions - which tub do you love and why?

I took OUT my standard tub and replaced it with a walk-in shower in the same footprint space - and have never been happier.......I haven't taken a tub since I was about twelve years old and don't miss it at all!!......if you have the room and $$ for a tub/installation and have your heart set on one, then certainly go for it.......but it takes a lot of hot water and time to fill it up - and the water turns lukewarm fast.......

a jetted bathtub is an option......or an outdoor hot tub?.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmBle0Dljw

If you only have one bathroom, with regards to re-sale, a tub is a major plus. I agree a walk in shower with the same footprint would be great, plus it is your house! What we did is replace the old 1960, steel bathtub with an acrylic mgf by Kolher. It is deeper than the old one for soaking ( no jets, etc) but it is designed with a “lower” step in height, an issues when you get older. Also replaced the toilet with a Toto, it never had issues and I had three teen age boys. Purchased these at a bath fixture dealer, not a HD or Lowe’s item.

If you only have one bathroom, with regards to re-sale, a tub is a major plus. I agree a walk in shower with the same footprint would be great, plus it is your house! What we did is replace the old 1960, steel bathtub with an acrylic mgf by Kolher. It is deeper than the old one for soaking ( no jets, etc) but it is designed with a “lower” step in height, an issues when you get older. Also replaced the toilet with a Toto, it never had issues and I had three teen age boys. Purchased these at a bath fixture dealer, not a HD or Lowe’s item.

I've got three bathrooms in total. I've been thinking of a deeper soaker, with a smaller floor print, with a shower option. One idea is:

White-Square-Japanese-Soaking-Tub.jpg

I’ve gutted two houses and renovated them in the last six years and prior to that I did smaller kitchen/bath renovations in prior homes.

I’m also an endurance cyclist doing long distances.

I hate jetted tubs as they tend to harbor mold unless very well designed and installed. I have a very deep tub instead. If you do a deep tub, make sure your water heater is big enough to fill it without running out.

you may also consider a sauna. I get MUCH more use from mine. It is a hot coal sauna so I can do it dry or humid. It’s much more flexible than infrared...but infrared can be had at a low price point. If space is an issue, consider a steam shower

I've got three bathrooms in total. I've been thinking of a deeper soaker, with a smaller floor print, with a shower option. One idea is:

White-Square-Japanese-Soaking-Tub.jpg

This is a Japanese-style soaking tub, made popular in onsens and now being modernized for home/hotel bathrooms.

Question: Do you plan on living there for good or would you sell the property at some point?

Young buyers love large showers, but tubs, even interesting ones like this, aren't huge selling points anymore.

If it were me, I'd go with a double-wide standing shower, using a panel system like this for the water:

https://www.showersly.com/best-shower-panel-systems/

If you can fully glass and enclose it, you could even plumb steam into it.

Now I want to redo my master shower. Dammit.

I have a 1 bedroom condo, so not likely anyone with a kid will move in and need a tub for the kid. I actually think it will help resale of my place to not have a tub. We have a lot of people who move here after selling a house, but don’t yet want to move to a retirement community, or aren’t ready for assisted living. The other demographic buying, or who were buying, are single, and usually move out when a kid arrives.

As my arthritis worsens, it’s hard some days to step over tub to get into the shower, other days not so bad, but I can’t imagine how difficult it would be for me to actually sit in the tub, and then try to get out of it. Last time I did so here was 15 years ago. Last time I used any tub was when I used the big soaking tub at a hotel 4 years ago, glad no one saw me as I was getting out of it.

I’m going to begin getting estimates on pulling the current tub out, and convert to shower with a bench. Would also like to make it wider, and install some discreet grab bars placed between the studs and custom tile work around and behind the bars, so they don‘t intrude on shower space. Will depend on what’s behind the wall, and will forgo if too expensive, and just do a bar along the wall. Just don’t want to spend too much more money than I’ll ever get back. Hoping $10K will do it. Then of course, have to think about replacing vanity, toilet, mirror, and light fixture, so probably looking at $15K. Hoping I can recycle existing mirror by having it cut off on the bottom so I can raise the height of the countertop, and keep same light fixture. At a minimum, will do the new shower, and new toilet.

I’d like to start the work as soon as our association allows renovation work again. They currently prohibit it to limit exposure to Covid. Only emergency repairs.

Edited by bashful

If you have arthritis the walk-in tub might be nice actually. they have a seat that would serve as your shower bench. Those places that install them are used to having to work quickly, as many people only get it once they absolutely have to.