Supreme Court Rules LGBT Employees Are Protected by Civil Rts Employment Statutes

TruthBTold
This topic is 1580 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In a 6-3 decision the Supreme Court ruled that LGBT employee are protected by 1964 Civil Rights employment statutes. This decision covered three cases, two of which are about LGB employees and the other specifically about a transgender employee. Along with the more "liberal" judges, Judges Roberts and Gorsuch voted in favor of the application of of the civil rights statutes. Justice Gorsuch wrote the majority opinion.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/scotus-lgbtq-transgender-decision-140519262.html

Edited by TruthBTold

In a 6-3 decision the Supreme Court ruled that LGBT employee are protected by 1964 Civil Rights employment statutes. This decision covered two cases, one of which is about LGB employees and the other specifically about transgender employees. Along with the more "liberal" judges, Judges Roberts and Gorsuch voted in favor of the application of of the civil rights statutes.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/scotus-lgbtq-transgender-decision-140519262.html

I followed the link to the Supreme Court site and read the opinion in this decision.

In the first paragraph, I read, "An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids." (my emphasis)

Then, I cried. Just a little. And then a little more when I thought of why I'd cried.

Sometimes, the Court gets it wrong. The long-ago decision in Dred Scott, wherein the Court essentially held one man can legally own another, was one of the wrong ones.

Today the Court got it right. At last.

These things usually take a while to happen. Brown v. Board of Education (school desegregation) took a while. Lawrence v. Texas (sodomy statutes) took a while. And God knows that today's decision took a while.

The wall of freedom is built of single bricks. Today that wall got stronger. Today humankind took a step forward. Today history was made. And I cried a little in celebration of this day, and that it came in my lifetime.

Grab a Kleenex and join the party!

[i know this thread touches on politics and maybe should be in that forum. But this -for us- is more about life and liberty and history. And maybe it deserves a larger stage in this forum.]

Edited by wsc

I followed the link to the Supreme Court site and read the opinion in this decision.

In the first paragraph, I read, "An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids." (my emphasis)

Then, I cried. Just a little. And then a little more when I thought of why I'd cried.

Sometimes, the Court gets it wrong. The long-ago decision in Dred Scott, wherein the Court essentially held one man can legally own another, was one of the wrong ones.

Today the Court got it right. At last.

These things usually take a while to happen. Brown v. Board of Education (school desegregation) took a while. Lawrence v. Texas (sodomy statutes) took a while. And God knows that today's decision took a while.

The wall of freedom is built of single bricks. Today that wall got stronger. Today humankind took a step forward. Today history was made. And I cried a little in celebration of this day, and that it came in my lifetime.

[i know this thread touches on politics and maybe should be in that forum. But this -for us- is more about life and liberty and history. And maybe it deserves a larger stage in this forum.]

I forgive you. ;)