Palm Springs question

Antonio1981
This topic is 1455 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I enjoy long weekend getaways to Palm Springs a few times a year. A 2 hour drive from LA is a great escape from the grind of living in the city.

With Covid-19 cases on the rise again and the new orders from Govenor Newsom requiring indoor dining at restaurants to close for atleast 3 weeks, do any residents of the city know if outdoor dining is still offered? Outdoor dining in the desert is a summertime favorite of mine.

I was planning a 3 day trip next week but now waivering if dining options are out of the question. Room Service doesn't sound appetizing with all the dining options in Palm Springs.

If anyone has any updates or insights, please let me know!

Edited by Antonio1981

As a local there are still some restaurants that offer outside dining. A few restaurants are simply closing (again). But remember, bars are closed, as well. Most every restaurant does do takeout and/or delivery, so you do have that option. If you are looking for rest and relaxation around a pool while wearing a mask, it’s your spot! Personally, I would recommend waiting a few more weeks. Instead, try to create a staycation at home with fun food, fare and such. It’s a thought...

Spencer's, one of the most popular upscale restaurants, did not offer take-out and did not open when indoor dining was permitted. It's central patio is one of the most desirable places in PS to dine, but the owner, Harold Matzner, says he would lose more money by opening than by staying closed, so he doesn't intend to open at all until October 1st. Some popular restaurants, like 849, have opened an outdoor dining space that looks lovely, but there is little shade, and the sun today is brutal (air temp of 102). Trio, which is very popular with the gay male crowd, has been offering takeout, but they did not open for indoor dining, and Tony says that although they have some outdoor dining space, he is not sure it is worth keeping it open.

I just came home from eating at Elmer's. Jackie, the owner, told me that when Newsom announced the closing of indoor dining yesterday, she raced to Costco and and bought all their metal-frame and fabric cabanas, and spent yesterday evening setting them up on the large grass lawn in front of the restaurant. She has set up huge fans and ordered more misters, but lunch was pretty hot for us out there.