What are You Reading?

Epigonos

I’m in the middle of this right now and really appreciating the insights into late 19th century Europe: Robert K. Massie, “Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War”. It’s the third book I’ve read by this guy. Massie does a great job of laying out a history of events by deep diving into the key players lives. Kind of like reading 100 biographies strung together in one book. 

I’m in the middle of this right now and really appreciating the insights into late 19th century Europe: Robert K. Massie, “Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War”. It’s the third book I’ve read by this guy. Massie does a great job of laying out a history of events by deep diving into the key players lives. Kind of like reading 100 biographies strung together in one book. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

Just finished this.  Very good.  He's a gay author, but this, like his more famous (and better) book Brooklyn, which became a lovely movie, is not gay.  It's a very Irish book.  Enjoy:

WWW.AMAZON.COM

71h9rEdUWvL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

At least of two of his books, "The Master" about Henry James, and "The Magician" about Thomas Mann, have gay themes; I enjoyed them both.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2024 at 2:31 AM, moxie32 said:

I thought I recognized that author so I went and checked my bookshelf and found Massie's books on 'Peter the Great' and 'Nicolas & Alexandria'.  Never thought to look up other works by him (I read those books in Jr. High when my Mom gave them to me to read).

Just finished 'Paris' by Edward Rutherfurd, which was ok (I think Sarum, the first book of his I read has been my fav of his).

Started 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' by Jared Diamond...was recommended to me by another pilot I flew with once.  Supposed to be a history of the world type of thing....we'll see.

16 hours ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

Started 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' by Jared Diamond...was recommended to me by another pilot I flew with once.  Supposed to be a history of the world type of thing....we'll see.

Loved GGandSteel when it first came out.  If you like it, read Collapse immediately afterward, also very good, just to stay in the zone.

Edited by Rod Hagen

Just read this.  Fast paced.  Stories a bit thin, but descriptions are beautiful.  It would actually be better if the two main characters were gay, but the story wouldn't have sold as well.  I wonder if someone's treated it for a movie yet, feels like a movie.  The River by Peter Heller

WWW.AMAZON.COM

51vGIruPToL._SL500_.jpg

On 8/10/2024 at 8:04 AM, Rod Hagen said:

Just read this.  Fast paced.  Stories a bit thin, but descriptions are beautiful.  It would actually be better if the two main characters were gay, but the story wouldn't have sold as well.  I wonder if someone's treated it for a movie yet, feels like a movie.  The River by Peter Heller

WWW.AMAZON.COM

I just bought the Kindle edition…looking forward to it…