Cute Doc Says: Toss the Soap!

Lucky
This topic is 1514 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In a message that could permanently improve conditions in prison showers, Dr. James Hamblin says we don't need soap to get clean. In fact, he says it is counter productive.

James_Hamblin_at_Spotlight_Health_Aspen_Ideas_Festival_2015.JPG

In an article in The Guardian, Hamblin gives his reasons why. Microbes are necessary to our health, why do we keeep killing hem with soap? Smells? No worries there either. Read more:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jul/28/soap-dodger-meet-the-doctor-who-says-we-have-been-showering-wrong

In a message that could permanently improve conditions in prison showers, Dr. James Hamblin says we don't need soap to get clean. In fact, he says it is counter productive.

James_Hamblin_at_Spotlight_Health_Aspen_Ideas_Festival_2015.JPG

In an article in The Guardian, Hamblin gives his reasons why. Microbes are necessary to our health, why do we keeep killing hem with soap? Smells? No worries there either. Read more:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jul/28/soap-dodger-meet-the-doctor-who-says-we-have-been-showering-wrong

He looks young to be a doctor

Confession here, being locked down over the last few months, I have tended not to shower unless I was going out which isn't all that often. In the past I had been able to tell when, ahem, I needed to 'freshen up' and that didn't happen much over these months. I know part of it is not getting out and sweating as much, but I'm sure there's more to it. A few years ago I had, having read articles similar to this one, foregone soap and shampoo when I showered for a couple of years, and the world didn't end. A preference or natural scents seems not to be unusual in these forums. Maybe the good doctor is onto something.

Confession here, being locked down over the last few months, I have tended not to shower unless I was going out which isn't all that often. In the past I had been able to tell when, ahem, I needed to 'freshen up' and that didn't happen much over these months. I know part of it is not getting out and sweating as much, but I'm sure there's more to it. A few years ago I had, having read articles similar to this one, foregone soap and shampoo when I showered for a couple of years, and the world didn't end. A preference or natural scents seems not to be unusual in these forums. Maybe the good doctor is onto something.

I’ve mainly been taking night showers. Since I don’t have to report to an office, and am working remotely. Also the miradry procedure that I did has held up really well, that I don’t need to wear deodorant because I don’t sweat in my armpits anymore.

I’ve mainly been taking night showers. Since I don’t have to report to an office, and am working remotely. Also the miradry procedure that I did has held up really well, that I don’t need to wear deodorant because I don’t sweat in my armpits anymore.

This reminds me of the (gross generalization) of the world being divided by class into those that shower before work, and those that shower after work.

I've also switched from a daily shower before going into work, to showering every few days. I think I'll switch back; I've noticed after trimming my beard last week for the first time since March, I feel much more like myself. Looking like a mildly-crazy person bled over into feeling like a mildly-crazy person.

I would happily shower less if it wasn't so hot and I didn't sweat profusely every day. I could walk down the street in 30 degree weather and be a sweaty mess by the time I got wherever I was going. No antiperspirant I have ever tried has helped. Back in the early days of the pandemic, I didn't shower everyday but now I feel I need to do so twice a day because my house is so hot almost all the time.