face masks versus face shields during COVID-19

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 1429 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Lately here in Michigan, I've been seeing more and more people wearing only a transparent face shield rather than an actual face mask...including on restaurant workers. BTW, I'm seeing this more on women than on men.

My gut tells me that the face shield used on its own provides less protection than a face mask on its own. It seems to me that the germs can easily get around and under the open parts of the shield. Am I wrong about this? Can a face shield be used like a mask and provide the same protections for the average person?

ps: I know in the medical environment the shield is normally used together with a face mask.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately here in Michigan, I've been seeing more and more people wearing only a transparent face shield rather than an actual face mask...including on restaurant workers. BTW, I'm seeing this more on women than on men.

My gut tells me that the face shield used on its own provides less protection than a face mask on its own. It seems to me that the germs can easily get around and under the open parts of the shield. Am I wrong about this? Can a face shield be used like a mask and provide the same protections for the average person?

ps: I know in the medical environment the shield is normally used together with a face mask.

Here is what the CDC has to say about face shields: “It is not known if face shields provide any benefit as source control to protect others from the spray of respiratory particles. CDC does not recommend use of face shields for normal everyday activities or as a substitute for cloth face coverings.

Wear the mask! A face shield is not a substitute. ?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html#face-shields

Here is what the CDC has to say about face shields: “It is not known if face shields provide any benefit as source control to protect others from the spray of respiratory particles. CDC does not recommend use of face shields for normal everyday activities or as a substitute for cloth face coverings.

Wear the mask! A face shield is not a substitute. ?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html#face-shields

I thought as much. Thanks for that.

5eac71d248d92c2d3b66e1e5?width=1200&format=jpeg

Many fine dining restaurants here in SoCal (before re-closing indoor dining) had wait staff wearing both mask and and shield, which was cumbersome but I appreciated. Shields add later of protection from mist from cough/sneezes to the wearer. Keeps droplets out of eyes, etc.

I like the idea of a shield with a mask....but individually, I would prefer everyone wore a mask. If someone wants to add an extra layer of protection with a shield...better still.

I wore a shield over my mask today when I went to Target. The last time I was there, a woman would not wear a mask. It feels safer, especially if you are near someone sneezing or coughing, but it did make breathing a bit harder.

We also have a loud, obnoxious guy with three dogs who comes to the dog park every morning but will not wear a mask. He usually keeps his distance, but the day he didn't I wanted my shield.

We also have a loud, obnoxious guy with three dogs who comes to the dog park every morning but will not wear a mask. He usually keeps his distance, but the day he didn't I wanted my shield.

I really get ticked off when people refuse to wear a mask . I have no time for people like that.

The data seems to be mounting that it's the load of inhaled particles which seems to be the riskiest. Masks reduce both the virions inhaled and exhaled. Face shields don't really do that. I heard a scientist on the radio last weekend say that they did a study which found that outdoor transmission occurred very rarely, and only with prolonged face-to-face contact, which they saw on 2 occasions. If you're outdoors and over 2 meters away from someone, a face mask in addition is probably overkill. Some have tried wearing face shields at work, but they get fogged up and steamy pretty quickly. If you want to be extra-careful, see if you can get your hands on N95 masks. So far, I haven't been able to see that study about outdoor transmission published yet. All I found was an old Chinese study which also seemed to agree that outdoor transmission is rare. Being indoors for prolonged periods of time, such as those bars and discos in Florida, Texas, and Arizona, seems to be risky. Or going to parties.

Shields add later of protection from mist from cough/sneezes to the wearer. Keeps droplets out of eyes, etc.

It’s for droplets. If you’re not going to end up close enough to get droplets from someone’s mucus on your face, the shield is overkill. The shield by itself also does little to protect from aerosols.

Psst! We are in the USA and we don't say "meters!" It's 6 and 1/2 feet! ...

It's mixed use in the US. We certainly measure our patients in meters and kg in the health care industry. The metric system is also used by the military, scientists, and engineers. I don't know about architects.

Dr. Fauci today said that a shield or goggles should also be worn with a face mask for true protection. We are keeping the virus out of the nose and mouth, but not the eyes.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-dr-fauci-recommends-goggles-to-prevent-coronavirus-spread-20200730-zfcrdvosjnbthltby3gxnx45e4-story.html

I have both a face shield and goggles, but frankly I feel odd if I wear them as it does seem to be overkill. But then, I do respect Dr. Fauci and will probably wear them more often. Definitely if I take a plane ride.

Dr. Fauci today said that a shield or goggles should also be worn with a face mask for true protection. We are keeping the virus out of the nose and mouth, but not the eyes.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-dr-fauci-recommends-goggles-to-prevent-coronavirus-spread-20200730-zfcrdvosjnbthltby3gxnx45e4-story.html

I have both a face shield and goggles, but frankly I feel odd if I wear them as it does seem to be overkill. But then, I do respect Dr. Fauci and will probably wear them more often. Definitely if I take a plane ride.

Well, I guess goggles would theoretically help, but how would a face shield protect the eyes from ambient virus present in the air around the eyes? In order to minimize air exchange around the eyes, one would have to wear either swimming goggles or ski goggles (or medical ones, of course). I haven't seen or heard of any studies on this matter to show that any of these work (have seen studies on masks, though). I don't really think a shield would do much. If you wanted to protect your eyes, I'd think you'd need goggles. Yeah, maybe on a plane.

cf0d3d97-3d4c-40ac-8b9c-e9b411ed1d64_1.f2b0b4107cbd4e7aaa4caf83b49c5943.jpeg

MEI0001_400_f?wid=767&hei=767&fmt=jpeg&qlt=80,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,1,6,0&iccEmbed=0

Not a face shield so a bit if topic drift, but RE:masks a doctor friend recommended this....I just bought two. Not inexpensive.

https://envomask.com/

Edit: add pic

C8-B82101-09-D3-4097-A704-5-ECE22-BBD3-B2.jpg

I was told to avoid a mask with an exhalation valve on the front. It is far less effective in stopping droplets from spreading to others. I found this to help explain. If your aim is to not just protect yourself but others as well, you may want to reconsider. ?

https://www.popsci.com/story/health/face-mask-valve-covid/

I was told to avoid a mask with an exhalation valve on the front. It is far less effective in stopping droplets from spreading to others. I found this to help explain. If your aim is to not just protect yourself but others as well, you may want to reconsider. ?

https://www.popsci.com/story/health/face-mask-valve-covid/

In General you are absolutely correct! There was some reason this one was different as opposed to the disposable masks with valves. I’ll ask my doc buddy and get back any info here.

It's mixed use in the US. We certainly measure our patients in meters and kg in the health care industry. The metric system is also used by the military, scientists, and engineers. I don't know about architects.

I asked my spouse--a retired architect--and he said US architecture does not use metric measurements unless they are working on a project that will be constructed in a country that does use metrics; e.g., when he was doing the plans for a building in Singapore, he had to do everything in metric.