2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1240 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was a good client of a hotel in Montreal and after 2 years had earned a credit for a free night. I know, wow. Still, they sold out last fall and the new owners didn’t recognize the credit. The previous owner was a small chain across Quebec but the hotel I stayed in was in the Gay Village, which was why I stayed there. Tant pis

wow! if it's sold before next spring, I wonder if the new owners will honor existing reservations and deposits; it will be interesting to see what the market will be

State law may (and I emphasize MAY) govern some of those sorts of things. Also, considering the current climate they may want people as many people traveling as possible.

Edited by TruthBTold

Well I have gotten my Cvid vaccine and that makes it much more likely that I. will be attending Palm Springs in April. Hopeful this function will still be going, but I will still be going no matter. Hope to see many of you there

How are you feeling post-inoculation?

This news is gut wrenching, I love Inndulge and the owners who make it such a special place to stay.

When I was there in September, everything had been painted and new concrete by the pool - everything one would want to do prior to putting it on the market. And the real estate prices in Palm Springs were rapidly rising. When I asked about their long-term plans, I got the impression from Sandy that it would likely be another five years before they considered selling.

This news is gut wrenching, I love Inndulge and the owners who make it such a special place to stay.

One would have to assume that the new owners would know their clientele and what the place successful in the first place. If they must keep it as a gay resort under any contact agreed to then, unless what was being done was really a loss of income, I would imagine the new owner would just keep doing things the same way. Otherwise the people who use INNdulge could walk next door and check into the Hacienda. They also treat their clientele very nicely.

One would have to assume that the new owners would know their clientele and what the place successful in the first place. If they must keep it as a gay resort under any contact agreed to then, unless what was being done was really a loss of income, I would imagine the new owner would just keep doing things the same way. Otherwise the people who use INNdulge could walk next door and check into the Hacienda. They also treat their clientele very nicely.

Normally, unless there are deed restrictions or restrictive covenants attached to a piece of property, you cannot constrain the new owner from changing the use of a property, subject to local zoning requirements. If it is deemed a heritage property, you can get a by-law passed to protect the building, but not it’s use. At least that’s how it works in Canada.

I was once the head of a heritage committee that provided advice to government on which properties to protect for their cultural, historic significance. We also had to advise when property owners wanted to strip the heritage designation away, so they could drastically modify the property, even to demolish it. In both cases, the municipal government would pass a by-law, pursuant to provincial legislation, to enact such a change in use or protection.

In the bad old days, they used to have “restrictive covenants” in real estate transactions restricting who you could sell a property to, both here in Canada, and in the US. These were used to deny sales to Jewish or Blacks in certain neighbourhoods. These are now unlawful and won’t be recognized by courts.

I would think that whoever buys INNdulge will be motivated by what they see as their best demographic who would patronize the lodging in the future.

Edited by Luv2play

Considering the number of gay resorts in Palm Springs, I doubt that INNdulge would qualify as historically significant.

I think when you look at the style of the motels and the neighborhood in context, I would consider the INNdulge structure to be a contributing part of the Warm Sands area; I remember going there in the early 90s before it became a gay destination and it was all solid 50s modern architecture throughout the neighborhood; I'd say it has an important place in the development of Palm Springs

There is so much "50s modern architecture" in Palm Springs that in order for a structure to have historical protection, it would have to be the product of a noted architect (it isn't) or of especially distinctive quality (it isn't), or to be something worth saving for its historical importance, like being the first gay resort in town (I don't know about that), or where something important happened, like where it is documented that Tab Hunter fucked Rock Hudson:p.

Considering the number of gay resorts in Palm Springs, I doubt that INNdulge would qualify as historically significant.

It could qualify as “culturally significant”. Here in Ontario, we have legislation providing for “historic districts”. In the future, I can see districts such as “gay villages” that could be considered for such a designation. We just need to have a shift in perspective to see that these areas mean a lot to the people whose lives it changed in a good way. Also how the movement changed society for the better. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but sometime down the road.

It could qualify as “culturally significant”. Here in Ontario, we have legislation providing for “historic districts”. In the future, I can see districts such as “gay villages” that could be considered for such a designation. We just need to have a shift in perspective to see that these areas mean a lot to the people whose lives it changed in a good way. Also how the movement changed society for the better. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but sometime down the road.

But would that mean that every building in the district would get the same historical protection?

There is so much "50s modern architecture" in Palm Springs that in order for a structure to have historical protection, it would have to be the product of a noted architect (it isn't) or of especially distinctive quality (it isn't), or to be something worth saving for its historical importance, like being the first gay resort in town (I don't know about that), or where something important happened, like where it is documented that Tab Hunter fucked Rock Hudson:p.

To me, mid-century modern, as an architectural and design style, has now entered the realm of deserving protection as historically significant. Also, I consider that Frank Lloyd Wright, is the godfather of the style that became mid-century around the time of his death in 1959.

Many of his buildings are now protected by law. I’m of the view that other buildings of that period, if pure in design, should also merit protection. The Europeans are so much better than we are in protecting their heritage structures. We should follow their example and preserve our buildings or neighbourhoods that are culturally rich and stand as resentative of an age and time that our descendants will also treasure.

But would that mean that every building in the district would get the same historical protection?

It means that future developments be sensitive to the existing context of the neighbourhood. You see it in parts of New York like the West Village on street like Jane Street with its 19th century brownstones. No high rises in sight. In a place like Palm Springs, which I have only visited twice, it might mean carving out a representative part of a neighbourhood.

This isn’t Canada, it’s California, USA....we bulldoze and tear down for progress. ??

I taught Advanced Placement Art History for a number of year. Architecture is an integral part of that curriculum and I love it. I will definitely NOT be in the majority regarding my reaction to "mid-century modern" architecture. I have ALWAYS found it about as interesting and inviting as I do hospital operating rooms. To me it is cold and sterile and living in it for me would be like living in a refrigerator.

Edited by Epigonos

I taught Advanced Placement Art History for a number of year. Architecture is an integral part of that curriculum and I love it. I will definitely NOT be in the majority regarding my reaction to "mid-century modern" architecture. I have ALWAYS found it about as interesting and inviting as I do hospital operating rooms. To me it is cold and sterile and living it for me would be like living in a refrigerator.

That is what I think of the architecture and interior design of 2020 Manhattan condo. All glass and white walls and furniture. No art or books to be seen, unless a token thing here or there.

Mid-century modern needs the right furniture and accessories to make it highly liveable.

I live near the Hilton Hotel in Chicago. It is the Hilton on Michigan Avenue and most people have heard of it because it is the hotel that many of the delegates to Democratic Convention were staying at when demonstrators and police clashed in 1968. At any rate, there are a series of historic hotels all along that stretch of Michigan Avenue that are of similar height. One of them is the Congress Hotel where some of y'all on this site may stay at when there is a leather (?) convention. The hotels are probably about 20 to 30 floors. So, about 2 years ago a builder/designer put in to get a permit to build a new building that would have been the 3rd tallest building in the City. That meant it would have been about 100 floors more or less. The City denied the permit finding that it was so out of proportion with the historic site line that it would ruin the historic nature of the sight. I guess a lot goes into making these types of decisions.

I live near the Hilton Hotel in Chicago. It is the Hilton on Michigan Avenue and most people have heard of it because it is the hotel that many of the delegates to Democratic Convention were staying at when demonstrators and police clashed in 1968. At any rate, there are a series of historic hotels all along that stretch of Michigan Avenue that are of similar height. One of them is the Congress Hotel where some of y'all on this site may stay at when there is a leather (?) convention. The hotels are probably about 20 to 30 floors. So, about 2 years ago a builder/designer put in to get a permit to build a new building that would have been the 3rd tallest building in the City. That meant it would have been about 100 floors more or less. The City denied the permit finding that it was so out of proportion with the historic site line that it would ruin the historic nature of the sight. I guess a lot goes into making these types of decisions.

Chicago has an enviable legacy of some of the greatest modern architecture in the world, not just North America. The one time I visited Chicago, I spent a day just going around having a look at it. I’m glad the city is taking the steps to preserve it for future generations to enjoy.

I

I don't totally disagree with you Luv2play. My problem is that I also sincerely dislike the furniture and the accessories that, for many, make "mid-century modern" livable. Much of the furniture looks just fine but is uncomfortable.

I agree about the furniture you sit on, like sofas and easy chairs. But it is easy to mix in more comfortable items such as these and still retain the look with lamps, tables and art pieces that evoke the era. I did this with a 1950’s house I once had in Miami and it worked really well. Just keep with clean lines, not the overstuffed look.