The "Verbose" button

Charlie
This topic is 1494 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Can this icon be removed from the options? It isn't used often, and when it is used it is almost always inappropriate, because the user doesn't seem to understand what verbose means. It means that the post uses long-winded and complicated language, but it is often used as a criticism of fairly short, easily understood posts which the reader apparently disagrees with.

Can this icon be removed from the options? It isn't used often, and when it is used it is almost always inappropriate, because the user doesn't seem to understand what verbose means. It means that the post uses long-winded and complicated language, but it is often used as a criticism of fairly short, easily understood posts which the reader apparently disagrees with.

Colloquially - in emoticons - I think it more symbolizes "this person likes to hear themselves talk"

Can we get a "love" button? Or should we just use "applause"? Sometimes a puke face might be appropriate, lol.

And @Charlie I was going to tag your post with the verbose icon just to mess with you but didn't know if you'd laugh or not

Edited by Woofiecmh

Can we get a "love" button? Or should we just use "applause"? Sometimes a puke face might be appropriate, lol.

And @Charlie I was going to tag your post with the verbose icon just to mess with you but didn't know if you'd laugh or not

Yes PLEASE! Can we exchange the verbose ? for Love ❤ ? After all, the Dislike ? could already work if one thinks something was not well expressed, but I think that people don't use verbose much because if something is not clearly understood we tend to simply ignore it. There is a difference between Like ? and Love ❤ though. One may like something but go beyond and Love (Show support or solidarity) for something else.

Edited by orville

Before getting rid of the verbose emoticon I think we should get Stevenkesslar’s opinion on the subject.

I don't miss his verbose posts.... <yawn>

I used the verbose icon often with him, but haven't found use for it on other occasions.

Before getting rid of the verbose emoticon I think we should get Stevenkesslar’s opinion on the subject.

Since you can't "like" something more than once, I "liked" and will reply with a :)

I don't miss his verbose posts.... <yawn>

I used the verbose icon often with him, but haven't found use for it on other occasions.

I recently bought store-brand Imodium and was surprised by how small the tablets are. Almost emoji-sized.

288a46412f7a59fcb2a3410f3132c734531170c1.jpg

I do not like the word verbose. It brings back memories.

Years ago, when working for a large company, a paper I'd written was circulated to managers for comment. One of them opined that my paper was -and to quote- "far too wordy and verbose." He also stated that "a paragraph-long sentence sort of takes your breath away."

I responded, "They mean the same thing, but I repeat yourself. And next time, try reading without moving your lips."

The next day, my boss spoke with me. He was more succinct.

It's the closest emoticon there is for "he likes to listen to himself talk," it's probably less about 'this is long winded.'

I expect the use of the 'verbose' emoticon is going to increase post 'verbose thread'.

I guess you're one of the people who didn't know what verbose means. It definitely doesn't mean "he likes to listen to himself talk." Nor does it even look like that.