Diego Armando Maradona dead: Argentinian football legend passes away aged 60

marylander1940
This topic is 1399 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I found an old thread by @TruthBTold but I guess most Americans still aren't into soccer

Diego Maradona dead: Argentinian football legend passes away aged 60

Op note: I never understood why in Spanish from Argentina they use the word "genius" to refer to soccer players. He was like a living god to them!

La mano de dios, "the hand of God".

I found an old thread by @TruthBTold but I guess most Americans still aren't into soccer

Diego Maradona dead: Argentinian football legend passes away aged 60

Op note: I never understood why in Spanish from Argentina they use the word "genius" to refer to soccer players. He was like a living god to them!

La mano de dios, "the hand of God".

OMG, I feel old now.

The 'hand of God' was a reference to his obvious hand-ball in that game. When it wasn't called out it was put down to it being God's hand not his that had put the ball in the net.

OMG, I feel old now.

The 'hand of God' was a reference to his obvious hand-ball in that game. When it wasn't called out it was put down to it being God's hand not his that had put the ball in the net.

Different interpretations in both languages, it was also considered as God guiding his hand to illegal score a goal. That game happened in Mexico 1986, 4 years after the Malvinas war.