Have You Noticed The Question Threads? This Is One!

Lucky
This topic is 1334 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My, but we are a curious lot. Our fellow posters want to know everything about us. Which side of the bed you sleep on, childhood stuff, food preferences, which nostril you pick first...oops, that one hasn't come up...yet! Calling @JoeMendoza! ?

I enjoy some of these and some seem silly. But, I have some curiosity too. I would like to know the approach people take to this message board in particular, and others in general.

How often do you visit? Are you here every day? Some are here from morning to night, seven days a week. Why?

There's more: How often do you post? Do you use private messaging? Do you feel a sense of camaradarie here?

Do you ever get annoyed? Do you use the ignore function? Has that been successful for you?

So, maybe someone or two will provide me some answers. But, I have been on message boards a long time, so I don't doubt that there will be surprises. Maybe. Final question: What will I do if no one responds?

How often do you visit?

Just about daily.

Are you here every day?

Redundant question. Next.

Some are here from morning to night, seven days a week. Why?

Same reason they hire...because they’re bored and horny.

How often do you post?

On average....two to three times a week maybe. No clue really.

Do you use private messaging?

As little as possible.

Do you feel a sense of camaradarie here?

With some, yes.

Do you ever get annoyed?

Oh hell, yes.

Usually it’s in the politics forum.

I’ve learned to just ignore it for a few days when that happens.

With a few days perspective, you realize how childish it all is.

Do you use the ignore function?

Oh hell, yes

Has that been successful for you?

I doubt I’d still be here without it.

What will I do if no one responds?

No one cares, but I’ve saved you from that fate.

I am spending more time here now than I did before CoViD, because I have fewer other things to occupy my time. I check in at least once every day when I am at home with my desk top computer; I have NEVER accessed the site on any other device, so if I disappear, it probably means that I am traveling, hospitalized, or dead. I haven't actually logged out of the site in so long that I am not sure that I remember my password (Hooboy gave it to me in 1999).

I do use private messaging, though not a lot. I think there is a fair amount of enjoyable camaraderie here, and I usually like meeting the people here in person, although it doesn't happen very often. (BTW, Oliver called me yesterday to say he is back in PS.)

Of course, I get annoyed, but no more than I do with interactions with people I encounter in person. I have never used the "ignore" function, but I certainly don't read every post by everyone, even those posters I like--I have learned to pick and choose only topics that interest me or are likely to interest me. I don't even read every post that you make, my dear Lucky!

Thanks for this thread, @Lucky. I am not the most outgoing especially in social situations, but one-on-ones or in very small gatherings, I do tend to be vulnerable and would want to know a lot about a person. Here are my answers:

• Approach to this message board: just be me.
    • How often do I visit? Are you here every day?: almost every day, there was a time when I felt like this message board consumed a lot of my time, so I took a week break from it. sometimes I say that this is just 'one long visit' since I just leave the tab open - not logging off or logging back in. sometimes the red notifications in either the messages or in the alert is exciting to see if somebody posted an interesting thread or if somebody wanted to know about a provider I recommended or wanted to get more juicy details about a post.
    • Why the frequency and duration? I have time to kill. I tend to be a homebody anyway, so it gives me something else to do outside of watching TV or Netflix. Since a lot of us also share the same hobby, I do feel like I get to be a lot more myself in this message board, so it's nice to share and contribute here without fear of condemnation and judgment (though being here a few months now, condemnation and judgment I realize can come in other forms).
    • How often do you post? After I submit this post, it would be 11.475 posts per day (oh man, that's a lot).
    • Do you use private messaging? Yes.

[*]Approach to other message boards in general: I just recently joined the Golden Skate messaging board coz I love Nathan Chen. Same thing, I just share my fascination and love for men's skating, and discuss my same love of the sport and of the guy.

[*]Do you feel a sense of camaraderie here [sic: this message board]: To an extent, yes.

[*]Do you ever get annoyed? Yes.

[*]Do you use the ignore function? Has that been successful for you? Yes, I have used it, and so far, it has been successful.

[*]What will I do if no one responds? I am sure somebody would have responded, so not worried on this for you. But seeing that you have been on this forum for a while, I am sure you would have just moved on and gone to other threads or created a new one.

For me, the pandemic has caused me to spend more time here. It also makes me enjoy the interactions of the posters. I usually post in the morning, but lately have been coming back for more. If people want to post all day long I don't care. Hopefully they don't post just for the sake of it, but hey, it's not my call.

In 20 years or so of posting I have seen a lot of different things. I often wonder where have various posters gone. People just disappear, even after being regular contributors.

I do use private messaging. When people write to me as occasionally happens, I prefer that they tell me who they are beyond just a screen name. The PM can help develop personal relationships. Meeting other posters used to be something I enjoyed and encouraged. I no longer care much as the community and interactions we have here cannot be replicated outside the venue, or at least not usually.

The ignore function has served me well. I have two people on ignore, and that means it's as if they don't exist and never bother me. The downside is that if they start a thread, I cannot see the responses that I want to see. I imagine someone or another has me on ignore at times. It doesn't bother me a bit.

As for other message boards, I often go to boytoy.com, but it is being merged into another site that I gave up on.

Did any of my answers surprise you?

My, but we are a curious lot. Our fellow posters want to know everything about us. Which side of the bed you sleep on, childhood stuff, food preferences, which nostril you pick first...oops, that one hasn't come up...yet! Calling @JoeMendoza! ?

And you received at least one answer to this question!. Nice going, @Lucky

How often do you visit?

Daily

...Are you here every day?

See above

...Some are here from morning to night, seven days a week. Why?

Because they have nothing better to do.

...There's more:

Just like a Ginzu knife ad.

How often do you post?...

That depends on many factors.

Do you use private messaging?...

Yes

...Do you feel a sense of camaradarie here?...

With some members, yes. With others, well, if they never posted again it would be too soon.

...Do you ever get annoyed?...

Hell, yes

...Do you use the ignore function?...

Hell, yes

(If I didn't, I'd probably have been banned for life by now)

...Has that been successful for you?...

Hell, yes

...What will I do if no one responds?

Well, it's a moot point, but I suppose you would forever live with a sense of emptiness not knowing how widespread is the use of the "Ignore" feature.

I enjoy some of these and some seem silly. But, I have some curiosity too. I would like to know the approach people take to this message board in particular, and others in general.

How often do you visit? Are you here every day? Some are here from morning to night, seven days a week. Why?

There's more: How often do you post? Do you use private messaging? Do you feel a sense of camaradarie here?

Do you ever get annoyed? Do you use the ignore function? Has that been successful for you?

So, maybe someone or two will provide me some answers. But, I have been on message boards a long time, so I don't doubt that there will be surprises. Maybe. Final question: What will I do if no one responds?

I visit multiple times daily....more so since isolated. I never log off so I suspect the “members online” pane shows me online all the time. I reply to existing threads more than post original content. I do use private messaging.

* aim for daily

* if time allows

*Too busy for that

* when i have something worthwhile to say ( and I am the judge of that)

* I do (rarely but I do, more often I respond to others who PM me)

* i do and don’t , some OP are delightful some as the opposite (pretty similar to life in general)

* often

* i have been known to use the ignore function

* successful if someone is being a troll or a pest or has some sort of personal prejudice against me (again same as life in general)