What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

12 hours ago, WilliamM said:

I remember double session in first grade. Got home around 12:30. My mom would be listening to Kate Smith, or occasionally Fannie Brice on the radio.

Every time there was a bond issue on the ballot to increase funding for the schools, the teachers would threaten double sessions to convince our parents to vote for the bond issue.  Actually, that's something to remember - when nobody questioned the value of public schools and wouldn't think of voting against increasing funding for the schools.

Eisenhower's presidency.   When I still had a conventional  9-5 job,  some of the younger people would ask me how old I was.  I would tell them,"Let's just say I remember when Eisenhower was president."  They would give me a blank look, obviously not even knowing who Eisenhower was. I actually have a framed photograph of Eisenhower on the wall, not because I think he was a great president, but mostly as a joke.  

I also remember school lunches for $.25 and extra milk for $.02.

I also remember living in a small town where everybody knew each other so well that even when I was in a strange part of town, the people there knew who I was.

29 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I remember when the hot new cars were Kaisers and Frazers. (Henry Kaiser was the Elon Musk of my childhood.)

I just googled it, had never heard of it - the forerunner to American Motors, which manufactured Ramblers and morphed in to JEEP.

Our family car for several years was a 1949 Packard.

3 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

The Los Angeles Olympics.  In 1984, not 1932!

I took a class at UCLA with Olympic gold medalists Tim Daggett and Mitch Gaylord. Although in general I preferred to sit in the front for most classes, for that class, of course, I would pick a seat behind one of them and to the side.

Tim Daggett:

Tim Daggett

Daggett at practise — Calisphere

Tim Daggett - Wikipedia

Mitch Gaylord:

Mitch-Gaylord010

Mitch Gaylord

Pin on 80s...loved it, miss it!

LIVE(ISH) BLOG: 1984 Men's and Women's NCAAs – College Gym News

UCLA Alumni

Edited by Unicorn

I just looked him up on Wikipedia, and Mitch was married to Playboy centerfold Deborah Driggs, and had some children with her. I can't imagine what their children look like. I think they were born in the late 90s, so would be in their 20s now. 

Playboy | April 1990 at Wolfgang's

Deborah Driggs

1. EARLY HISTORY/EDUCATION 

Born December 13, 1963, in Oakland CA — 52-years old. She was an elite figure skater as a child, but quit in her teens due to burnout. Graduated in 1982 from Leuzinger High School, in Hawthorne CA. Cheerleader and homecoming queen for Saddleback College. 

2. FAMILY

Married Olympic gymnast Mitch Gaylord in 1992 at Hotel Bel Air. Has three adult children – Kevin Tyler Gaylord, Madeline Rae Gaylord, and Bailey Gaylord. The couple divorced in 2003. She has one sister, Sherry Driggs.

Had she stayed in Oakland rather than move to Hawthorne, we could have gone to high school together....

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

I just googled it, had never heard of it - the forerunner to American Motors, which manufactured Ramblers and morphed in to JEEP.

Our family car for several years was a 1949 Packard.

American Motors was actually created by merging Kaiser/Frazer with Nash, an older carmaker.  Our nextdoor neighbors had a 1950 Nash Rambler convertible, and friends of my parents had a "bathtub" 1949 Nash sedan.

Your family must have been well-off--my parents thought a Packard was only for the upper classes.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

American Motors was actually created by merging Kaiser/Frazer with Nash, an older carmaker.  Our nextdoor neighbors had a 1950 Nash Rambler convertible, and friends of my parents had a "bathtub" 1949 Nash sedan.

Your family must have been well-off--my parents thought a Packard was only for the upper classes.

Our neighbors down the street always drove a Nash.  They were an older, childless couple who spent most of the year cruising on freighters.

My father bought the Packard used from an old lady's estate who really had only driven it to church and back.

8 hours ago, former lurker said:

Nixon's resignation in August 1974.

I lived in England during the last year of Watergate, so most of my knowledge came from British newspapers and Time magazine. I was on my way back to America, and was between flights in Keflavik, Iceland, when I saw a group of passengers in the waiting room huddled around a transistor radio listening to something, so I joined them, and it was Ford being sworn in as President. I landed in New York to the first day of the new administration.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

I lived in England during the last year of Watergate,

I was at the London American Express office picking up my mail (who is old enough to remember picking up your mail at an AMEX office?). There were headlines in huge bold print on the front page of the papers announcing Nixon’s resignation.

10 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

I was at the London American Express office picking up my mail (who is old enough to remember picking up your mail at an AMEX office?). There were headlines in huge bold print on the front page of the papers announcing Nixon’s resignation.

Never did that, although I did use poste restante a few times travelling in Europe. I do remember going to American Express offices in London and DC to cash an Australian personal cheque. I use the term 'cash' loosely as above a low amount the proceeds had to be taken in another 'are you old enough' thing, travellers' cheques! Don't leave home without them!