Is it really "anything goes" in Australia's Northern Territory?

This topic is 1279 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

"Diego" and I are going to Texas on Saturday, and I was researching the speed limits, and I found this graph on speed limits throughout the world. None in the NT? Can our Aussie friends corroborate? I guess one could make a pretty quick drive from Alice Springs to Darwin with the right vehicle... Do they have races? I'm afraid of Honduras, Suriname, Bolivia, Madagascar, and Uganda! And I feel bad for our colleagues in Ontario and Quebec, though I guess there's probably a limit as to just how fast a snowmobile can drive anyway?

201412-102304.png

By the way, it's only really 85 mph on one single highway in Texas, though it will be 80 mph for much of our drive from El Paso to Big Bend National Park...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snowmobile Top Speed:

Ski-Doo MXZ X 850 E-TEC 128 mph

2012 Arctic Cat XF 1100 Turbo 118 mph

Polaris Assault 800 112 mph

Ski-Doo MXZ 600 100 mph

Polaris Switchback Pro-S 800 105 mph

"Diego" and I are going to Texas on Saturday, and I was researching the speed limits, and I found this graph on speed limits throughout the world. None in the NT? Can our Aussie friends corroborate? I guess one could make a pretty quick drive from Alice Springs to Darwin with the right vehicle... Do they have races? I'm afraid of Honduras, Suriname, Bolivia, Madagascar, and Uganda! And I feel bad for our colleagues in Ontario and Quebec, though I guess there's probably a limit as to just how fast a snowmobile can drive anyway?

201412-102304.png

By the way, it's only really 85 mph on one single highway in Texas, though it will be 80 mph for much of our drive from El Paso to Big Bend National Park...

I know for a fact in Germany you can drive as fast as you can in the highways and even mentioning the subject of a speed limit is similar to God, gays and guns in America.

I posted a link in case someone gets obsessed asking for it...

German government shows cracks over autobahn speed limit | Germany| News and in-depth reporting from Berlin and beyond | DW | 26.12.2019

Quebec and Ontario seem to be outliers in North America but in reality one can drive up to 20 mph above the 100 limit on freeways in both provinces without being pulled over. Ontario recently started a pilot project by increasing the limit to 110 kilometres per hour on several sections of major highways but not in my area. Haven’t heard much of reactions, probably a non event since everyone ignores the 100 limit.

I know for a fact in Germany you can drive as fast as you can in the highways and even mentioning the subject of a speed limit is similar to God, gays and guns in America.

I posted a link in case someone gets obsessed asking for it...

German government shows cracks over autobahn speed limit | Germany| News and in-depth reporting from Berlin and beyond | DW | 26.12.2019

I drove several times in Germany on autobahns where there was no limit but there were limits on lesser roads. At that time, and it was years ago now, the government had regulations on the kinds of tires on cars that were based on speed performance and if you were caught exceeding the rated speeds for the tires on your car, there were heavy fines.

The tires with high speed ratings, like 200 kilometres per hour and above, were relatively more expensive than the ones you would put on a Volkswagen Beatle. The only cars I saw doing very high speeds were high performance cars, which the Germans love.

Ah yes, good ol' TX-130, lovingly known also as Pickle Parkway.

It's a perfect toll road if you have a vehicle you want to safely open up and drive very fast. There's little traffic on it (as South Texans are very anti-toll), almost never a police presence and the pavement is perfectly smooth with mostly straightaways.

It's currently the fastest speed limit in the States and likely to remain so for awhile.

I've had fun on that highway, but it's nothing compared to the Autobahn.

I drove several times in Germany on autobahns where there was no limit but there were limits on lesser roads. At that time, and it was years ago now, the government had regulations on the kinds of tires on cars that were based on speed performance and if you were caught exceeding the rated speeds for the tires on your car, there were heavy fines.

The tires with high speed ratings, like 200 kilometres per hour and above, were relatively more expensive than the ones you would put on a Volkswagen Beatle. The only cars I saw doing very high speeds were high performance cars, which the Germans love.

I remember driving throughout what was then West Germany - Frankfurt, Heidelberg Kaiserslautern especially. So long ago (1972) President Nixon was undertaking the "Christmas bombing" of Hanoi while peace activists were stuck there, including Joan Baez

-

"Diego" and I are going to Texas on Saturday,

-

Not to spoil your anticipated trip, but:

You previously mentioned living in the Los Angeles area. You wrote that you are traveling to Texas with a friend this upcoming Saturday.

Last weekend I was in Dallas.

When I checked in at American Airlines for my return flight to Los Angeles, the ticket agent gave me a slip of paper that initially seemed to be a joke - - - but it wasn't a joke. The form is in connection with coronavirus.

The paper said that anyone (over age 16) returning or traveling to Los Angeles from another state or country must be given the form and that the form should be read by the traveler.

The form contains a link which states that travelers to Los Angeles must fill out an online form then isolate for ten days after returning to Los Angeles. Failure to complete the form subjects the violator up to a $500.00 fine.

As incredible as it seems, apparently there is such a new law. I do not know how it can be enforced.

Here is a link to the strange new Los Angeles law:

https://travel.lacity.org/

-

Edited by coriolis888

The Wiki page @Beancounter posted is good. As the article goes into in some detail, the NT no longer has unrestricted speeds. @Unicorn's map isn't accurate for the rest of the country in that most states and the ACT have a default limit of 100km/h but some roads with 110km/h limits. And yes, the speed limits are metric and the signs are as illustrated, a number in a red circle.

You previously mentioned living in the Los Angeles area. You wrote that you are traveling to Texas with a friend this upcoming Saturday.

The paper said that anyone (over age 16) returning or traveling to Los Angeles from another state or country must be given the form and that the form should be read by the traveler.

Yes, we had to fill out that form when we flew in from Puerto Vallarta to LA some 10 days ago. We completed the forms and ignored them immediately. LA County has done a good job of vaccination. Most residents of LA County, including almost all seniors/vulnerable have been vaccinated or have immunity from infection. I know every single person on my block, and every single person on my block has been vaccinated. Hospitalization and death rates (due to Covid-19) in our county have been plummeting. As with much that's been going on, the law quickly became outdated, and officials have not been keeping up with reality.

... most states and the ACT have a default limit of 100km/h but some roads with 110km/h limits...

100 km/h in a country with the size and population density of Australia's! Oh... my... God!!! And it's not even a mountainous place like NZ...

000136691.jpg

100 km/h in a country with the size and population density of Australia's! Oh... my... God!!! And it's not even a mountainous place like NZ...

For those same reasons, a lot of the roads are crap, but that said, dual carriage highways are almost all 110km/h as are a lot of the roads in many places, including more remote ones. 100km/h really doesn't bother me much, I just put the cruise control on and listen to the radio, stop every couple of hours to stretch my legs or buy a coffee and a pie.

The Wiki page @Beancounter posted is good. As the article goes into in some detail, the NT no longer has unrestricted speeds. @Unicorn's map isn't accurate for the rest of the country in that most states and the ACT have a default limit of 100km/h but some roads with 110km/h limits. And yes, the speed limits are metric and the signs are as illustrated, a number in a red circle.

Now I am curious @mike carey Did you post because you were summoned by @marylander1940 or because you post when you choose to do so?

Now I am curious @mike carey Did you post because you were summoned by @marylander1940 or because you post when you choose to do so?

Because I do so when I choose to. In this case because I have been doing other things so wasn't up-to-date with new posts it was his mentioning me that alerted me to the thread. I would have got there and posted in due course if he hadn't. He doesn't tell me what to do (/snigger/).

When I checked in at American Airlines for my return flight to Los Angeles, the ticket agent gave me a slip of paper that initially seemed to be a joke - - - but it wasn't a joke. The form is in connection with coronavirus.

The form contains a link which states that travelers to Los Angeles must fill out an online form then isolate for ten days after returning to Los Angeles. Failure to complete the form subjects the violator up to a $500.00 fine.

As incredible as it seems, apparently there is such a new law. I do not know how it can be enforced.

-

I remember i had to quarantine 3 times (twice in Toronto and once upon my return to NYC). In Canada, it is quasi enforced or least phone calls were made. Here in NYC, no one really enforced it. The immigration/customs does not even ask for your contact info for contact tracing. Several of my neighbors who knew I was returning had stocked up my refridgerator and offered to pick up sundries/groceries for me for my quarantine (which i did). I did it more so for my neighbors who are sticklers and obey the rules... and did not want to be shamed or called out. It’s totally self regulated here in the US and unfortunately not enforced. I guess that explains the higher prevalence in this country.

-

I hope that doesn’t apply to travel to San Diego. It’s absurd and unenforceable.

For those same reasons, a lot of the roads are crap, but that said, dual carriage highways are almost all 110km/h as are a lot of the roads in many places, including more remote ones. 100km/h really doesn't bother me much, I just put the cruise control on and listen to the radio, stop every couple of hours to stretch my legs or buy a coffee and a pie.

Sweet or savory pie? I quite enjoyed the savory pie selection available when last I visited. Sausage rolls were a favorite for road trips - they are flakey, delicious and a little messy!! ?

Sweet or savory pie? I quite enjoyed the savory pie selection available when last I visited. Sausage rolls were a favorite for road trips - they are flakey, delicious and a little messy!! ?

Bourke St Bakery from Australia is in NYC now. They make the greatest sausage rolls!!! I think they are also available on goldbelly.

I meant savoury, some bakeries in country towns have amazing pies. But I wouldn't say no to a fruit pie with some ice cream. On my last long drive (Melbourne to Canberra) I stopped in a village where the bakery had at least a dozen varieties, good but not the best I've had, and did a decent flat white coffee. I love a good sausage roll, although they tend not to come in different varieties, just the house recipe. I must dig out a recipe I've made a few times for a Thai themed sausage roll, pork mince [ground pork] with garlic, ginger, chilli and coriander [cilantro] leaves.

I meant savoury, some bakeries in country towns have amazing pies. But I wouldn't say no to a fruit pie with some ice cream. On my last long drive (Melbourne to Canberra) I stopped in a village where the bakery had at least a dozen varieties, good but not the best I've had, and did a decent flat white coffee. I love a good sausage roll, although they tend not to come in different varieties, just the house recipe. I must dig out a recipe I've made a few times for a Thai themed sausage roll, pork mince [ground pork] with garlic, ginger, chilli and coriander [cilantro] leaves.

I'm getting hungry after reading your post!