customizing by interest and ignore settings

José Soplanucas
This topic is 1225 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As the new management seems to be really witty, I want to check on a couple of features I would like to have. The first one I have never seen in other forums. 

Is it possible to customize your view according to your interests? Let's say I am not interested in specialized forums like The Gallery, or Politics, forums that have a lot of traffic and take a lot of scrolling through when you are scouting unread or last posts. There should be a way to quickly toggle in between views when you want to take a look at pictures, for instance.

In my personal case, I would love to stop seeing any updates from The Gallery, but I can imagine that many would love to stop seeing updates from Politics.

The second feature I have not seen wither in the other forums, but I have no ignored members over there. This is a feature we used to have in Xenforo. 

When you ignore a member in Xenforo not only you cannot see their posts, but you would not see the threads they create and no posts or threads they created would show in lasts posts and unread listings. Is it possible to replicate that here?

@latbear4blk I have forums that I read and some that I don't. I alternate between two methods of dealing with that. One is to only open the forums I am interested in, read them and disregard the others. The second is to open the ones I'm not interested in and mark them all 'read' then go to the 'unread' view of the whole forum. That second approach doesn't work as well in the new software as it continuously updates the 'unread' list whereas the old software only updated if you exited and re-entered 'unread' territory. That combination still works well enough for me.

1 hour ago, mike carey said:

@latbear4blk I have forums that I read and some that I don't. I alternate between two methods of dealing with that. One is to only open the forums I am interested in, read them and disregard the others. The second is to open the ones I'm not interested in and mark them all 'read' then go to the 'unread' view of the whole forum. That second approach doesn't work as well in the new software as it continuously updates the 'unread' list whereas the old software only updated if you exited and re-entered 'unread' territory. That combination still works well enough for me.

Thank you! I did not know that I can mark as read only one forum. I use marking all read in the other forums, but they have very little traffic compared to this one.

I will try it here.Thanks for the suggestion!

9 hours ago, latbear4blk said:

As the new management seems to be really witty, I want to check on a couple of features I would like to have. The first one I have never seen in other forums. 

Is it possible to customize your view according to your interests? Let's say I am not interested in specialized forums like The Gallery, or Politics, forums that have a lot of traffic and take a lot of scrolling through when you are scouting unread or last posts. There should be a way to quickly toggle in between views when you want to take a look at pictures, for instance.

In my personal case, I would love to stop seeing any updates from The Gallery, but I can imagine that many would love to stop seeing updates from Politics.

The second feature I have not seen wither in the other forums, but I have no ignored members over there. This is a feature we used to have in Xenforo. 

When you ignore a member in Xenforo not only you cannot see their posts, but you would not see the threads they create and no posts or threads they created would show in lasts posts and unread listings. Is it possible to replicate that here?

One of the features I like about Invision is the ability to create custom Activity Streams.  This allows you to find content that you're specifically interested in.

https://www.companyofmen.org/discover/?do=create

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 9.01.28 PM.png

You can create a stream that shows content you have not read that only lists forums you pick, from various time frames.  The Unread Content stream is just literally only selecting "Content I haven't read" as it's filter.  So feel free to create a stream or two in order to help you curate content you're interested in.  

Regarding ignoring members...  there is an option to ignore them, but you need to select all of the various ignore features.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 9.09.57 PM.png

Make sure you're selecting Posts, Messages, Mentions, and Signature.  If you do that, for the most part they should fail to exist to you.

Hope that helps!

37 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

One of the features I like about Invision is the ability to create custom Activity Streams.  This allows you to find content that you're specifically interested in.

https://www.companyofmen.org/discover/?do=create

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 9.01.28 PM.png

You can create a stream that shows content you have not read that only lists forums you pick, from various time frames.  The Unread Content stream is just literally only selecting "Content I haven't read" as it's filter.  So feel free to create a stream or two in order to help you curate content you're interested in.  

Regarding ignoring members...  there is an option to ignore them, but you need to select all of the various ignore features.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 9.09.57 PM.png

Make sure you're selecting Posts, Messages, Mentions, and Signature.  If you do that, for the most part they should fail to exist to you.

Hope that helps!

tenor.gif

Your first tip is AMAZING!!! It looks super promising and I am about to try it.

About the ignored users, I have all the check marks and yet see them in listings.