Moving: Things to keep with you

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 967 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As I've mentioned I'm getting ready for a long distance move. My furniture and stuff will arrive around two weeks after me. What should I make sure to keep with me?

Clothes, toiletries, important documents, of course. But also my alarm clock, sheets, tea kettle.

Anything else? 

Thanks.

Take some basic tools- Screwdriver, hand drill etc. Then you can start doing some fixing before the stuff arrives.  I would also suggest bringing a place setting of dishes and silverware (plastic camping stuff is ideal if you have a set). One versatile pot for boiling water and cooking can also be helpful. You might also want a favorite mug to make coffee. Eating out for 2 weeks straight will get old (and fattening) pretty fast.

If you have room, a folding chair and/or yoga mat and/or sleeping bag might also come in handy. 

When I flew cross country for my move last year I also took a bicycle on the plane with me. Delta did not charge me to take the bike (!!!). It was really nice to be able to bike around my new neighborhood when I got there.

Good luck with your move

When a close friend moved across country, he took everything that he was afraid could be lost, stolen or damaged by movers. He ended up renting a U-Haul truck, but since he didn't drive, I drove the truck with the two of us in the cab, and the back filled with favorite clothes, photos (you know, those things that one used to take with a film camera:)), autographed books, LP records, paintings, and all those sentimental possessions that are useless but you can't get rid of, like Japanese kimonos that you brought home from Kyoto, or that bottle of Becherovka that your students in Czechoslovakia gave you, or that china tea set that belonged to your grandmother, etc.

It was great fun for me, because we took twelve days to drive from coast to coast, and I got to see parts of the country that I had never seen before (we spent two days driving around in Yellowstone in the truck), and I will probably never see again, like the Amana colony in Iowa, and the Corn Palace in South Dakota.

Edited by Charlie
typo

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

driving around in Yellowstone in the truck)

Reminded me of when I came along with a friend moving some of his grandparents furniture from Chicago to South Carolina.  He decided to go through the Smoky Mountains.  Most of it was only two lanes and the truck didn’t move fast, but traffic was light, or so I thought.  At one point I glanced out behind us through the side mirror, and the backup behind us seemed to go on forever.  

Edited by bashful

If you are a coffee drinker, bring your coffee maker. Also, the kitchen tools you love and use every day. I did not bring my OXO Good Grips spoons and spatulas when my company moved me into a corporate apartment, thinking the ones provided would be "good enough." After a week, faced with the prospect of using crap tools for three months I bought a new set. My wrists thanked me.

This is also a good time to discard stuff that you've been meaning to replace. You can buy the new stuff when you get to the new place.

Years ago, a friend drove a U-Haul when she moved from FL to TX. She spent one night in a motel & woke the next morning to find someone had broken the lock on the back of the truck and stolen some of her things. I don't know if they have alarm systems for them now, but I'm sure there are people out there who see trucks like that as targets.

On 10/29/2021 at 1:04 PM, Doe Be Doe said:

Delta did not charge to take the bike on the plane? Wow!

Sporting goods are now part of your standard baggage aloowance on delta and count as one of your three free checked bags.   I know bikes and golf clubs qualify   I think they changed the rule a couple years back.   Problem is pedals and handlebars have to come off to fit in the box.   It just has to be in a box under a certain linear amount and under the standard bag limit for a checked bag which is 70 lbs.   I thought about taking my bike on a couple trips but don't want to mess around with the handle bars and pedals at a hotel, it's just easier for me to rent one even though I can fly with it for free, plus the hassle of getting it to my hotel.   

Edited by handiacefailure

Depends on if you are flying or driving and if you will e in temp exec furnished housing or your new place with no furniture.

If you are flying and in exec furnished housing I would just pack the clothes you need and toiletries and things like laundry soap.

If you are driving and will be in your new place waiting on furniture some tools to start on projects, cleaning supplies, dishes/silverware for at least one meal and a couple pots.   If you have an instant pot or a toaster oven I would definitely bring those.

really good suggestions on here - and not entirely related to your question, i was just having a long-distance move conversation with a friend and this suggestion came up...

for peace of mind when putting all your possessions into a truck and sending it off, dropping a couple trackers like Airtags into the boxes to keep tabs on their location is a cheap and easy way to eye virtual eyes on its progress.