DOES ANYBODY REALLY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?

samhexum

The Senate unanimously approved a bill on Tuesday that would make Daylight Saving Time permanent, making the House all that stands between longer winter days and later sunrises in summer.

The bipartisan legislation – known as the Sunshine Protection Act – was introduced by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) in March 2019. It was quickly backed by two of his Democratic colleagues, Ed Markey of Massachusetts and Ron Wyden of Oregon.

As the measure passed, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) let out an audible “Yes!” on the Senate floor. 

If the House approves the measure and President Biden signs it, the legislation would not take effect until the fall of 2023 since airlines, railroads and other mass transit operators have built out schedules based on the current timekeeping system.

The US will enter Standard Time in November of this year, when Americans in every state except Hawaii and non-Navajo areas of Arizona turn their clocks back one hour. This past Sunday marked the start of Daylight Saving Time.

In an op-ed published last week, Rubio and Markey advocated for the time change, calling it “an inconvenience to people everywhere.”

The clocks would not “fall back” by one hour in November and remain at standard time permanently — without having to “spring ahead” in March, the bill says.

The US first adopted DST in 1918 during World War I and rescinded the following year, then brought back during World War II — but wasn’t regulated by the federal government until 1966, when Congress passed the Uniform Time Act.

In 1974, President Richard Nixon again pulled the plug, but the move proved so unpopular with Americans — including parents who feared sending their kids to school in the dark — that President Gerald Ford later hit the reset button.

Ben Franklin is widely credited with coming up with the idea of daylight savings time in a satirical piece in the Journal de Paris in 1784, National Geographic says.

Not all of the USA observes DST — Hawaii, most of Arizona, Puerto Rico and US territories, including Guam and the US Virgin Islands are not affected by the twice-a-year clock change, the US Energy Department says.

If the Senate proposal — called the Sunshine Protection Act — is ultimately enacted, it will take effect in the fall of 2023 and would mark the third time in US history that DST has been shelved.

If it were up to me, sunrise would be at 9AM (or later) everyday.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

I remember the permanent DST during the energy crisis of the 70s.  I had to be to work at 7:30AM.  In the winter, the sun was only starting to come up at 7:30.  I personally didn't like going to work in the dark - and I don't know whether it had the desired effect of saving energy or not. I was glad when we returned to the regimen I had always known - DST in the warm months and ST in the cool months.

11 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

daylight1.jpg

11 hours ago, mike carey said:

I love daylight saving but when I had a long train commute and the sun rose as I stepped off it in the last week of it, it was totally time for it to end. Now I don't have to wake up early it matters less to me than it did then.

3 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Sending young children to school in the dark is a bad idea. I went to kindergarten in Bedford, Massachusetts on a   bus early in the morning. It wasn't a school bus rather a public bus.

3 hours ago, sync said:

The new bill will probably be welcomed by those who live in one time zone and are employed or have other obligations in a different time zone.

33 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

I remember the permanent DST during the energy crisis of the 70s.  I had to be to work at 7:30AM.  In the winter, the sun was only starting to come up at 7:30.

How many young'ns here at the site do you think won't get the song reference in the thread title?

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

35 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

I remember the permanent DST during the energy crisis of the 70s.  I had to be to work at 7:30AM.  In the winter, the sun was only starting to come up at 7:30.  I personally didn't like going to work in the dark - and I don't know whether it had the desired effect of saving energy or not. I was glad when we returned to the regimen I had always known - DST in the warm months and ST in the cool months.

I'm just the opposite. I abhor getting out of work in the dark at 5 or 6pm. As a kid, that extra hour of daylight on a warm summer night was EVERYTHING!  And 'falling back' to 'Standard Time' in the fall was the most depressing day of the year.  Long live DST!!

4 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Sending young children to school in the dark is a bad idea. I went to kindergarten in Bedford, Massachusetts on a   bus early in the morning. It wasn't a school bus rather a public bus.

School districts can cope by starting school an hour later in the winter.  Basically, businesses and schools will create defacto time changes to be open when daylight serves them best.  But it will no longer be coordinated nationwide or across all businesses within the community, thereby creating more hassles than if we just left the current system alone.

28 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

School districts can cope by starting school an hour later in the winter.  Basically, businesses and schools will create defacto time changes to be open when daylight serves them best.  But it will no longer be coordinated nationwide or across all businesses within the community, thereby creating more hassles than if we just left the current system alone.

Aye- as they should... US education seems to be bent on trying to get children to adjust to Adult's schedules rather than the other way around.  Other countries start school later since it's supposedly proven that children's natural sleep habits have them waking later than adults.  1st period 8am classes always suck.  

Ditch the time change and start school later! 

30 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Whether you like or dislike DST depends largely on your own schedule. I get up early and go to bed early, and do very little outside after 5pm, so I am happy to have Standard Time all year round. It is a nuisance to have to reset my internal clock twice a year.

Even if one doesn't have school age children, it is a bit ridiculous for children leaving for school in the dark.

My schedule is so erratic an hour shift either way doesn’t affect me. Although I can see why some people want to change the clocks, there are way too many people who gripe about it. And I believe they’ve done studies on workplace efficiency and public safety that suggest changing the clocks has a negative impact on general life. As for kids – they’re resilient. They’ll adjust. 

Sleep experts say that regular time works best! I agree.

From wapo.com: Sleep experts widely agree with the Senate that the country should abandon its twice-yearly seasonal time changes. But they disagree on one key point: which time system should be permanent. Unlike the Senate, many sleep experts believe the country should adopt year-round standard time.

After the Senate voted unanimously and with little discussion Tuesday to make daylight saving time permanent, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine issued a statement cautioning that the move overlooks potential health risks associated with that time system. (The legislation, which would take effect next year, must get through the House and be signed by President Biden to become law.)

“We do applaud stopping the switching during the course of the year and settling on a permanent time,” said Jocelyn Cheng, a member of the AASM’s public safety committee. But, she added, “standard time, for so many scientific and circadian rationales and public health safety reasons, should really be what the permanent time is set to.”

The AASM made this stance clear in 2020 when it released a position statement recommending that the country institute year-round standard time. Its reasoning, in part, is that standard time is more closely associated with humans’ intrinsic circadian rhythm, and that disrupting that rhythm, as happens with daylight saving time, has been associated with increased risks of obesity, metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease and depression.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/03/16/daylight-saving-bill-health-effects/

Despite loving sunshine, I’m a natural night owl~
  Falling back is like a holiday for me and I celebrate it~ That spring ahead thing is beyond annoying to me~ 
 I actually moved west to get the extra two hours because the time zone I grew up in, (midwest), was excruciating for me~ I was falling asleep in my classes and not really able to wake up until noon~ Lot of relief was provided when I started my university  studies because I could schedule all of ky classes and labs after 10:30.  
  The pacific Islands and Europe are the perfect time zones for me~  
 I’m most productive between 18:00 and 5:00 PST but, I always wake up @ 9:00 no matter what time I go to bed~ From 7:00 to 9:00, (or so), is my “deep sleep” time.  If I miss that “sleepy time” window, I wake up and just keep going until my next deep sleep time~ 
 Left on my own I’d start my day @ 10:30 & end it between 5:30 or 6:00, (not 17:30/18:00).  
 My body clock doesn’t ever change… in Europe, I get sleepy around 15:00 and suddenly energize @ 17:00~   
 I love overnights because I can just keep going all night long~ If I have to wake up around 7:00, I’m a bit quiet but, work thru it and generally have some snarky humor to offer~  
 If I sleep with someone, I like to nap down with them whenever they are sleepy~ It’s a “together” activity I enjoy~  
  Left on my own, I don’t sleep much at all… my entire life has been like this and it’s been good for me… I get a lot accomplished~ 
  There are 18,250 days in 50 years.     
  That’s 430,000 hours total. 

In my twenty wakeful hour day, during a 50 year period, I am awake 365,000 hours approx.~ 
  In a 16hr day, (24hrs minus 8 sleeping hours), there are 292,000 wakeful hours. 
 My 365,000 minus the average person’s 292,000 = 73,000 hours more time awake for me than the average person.  
 That’s a total of 3,041 more days awake or, 8.333 years, (in a fifty year period), than the average person who sleeps eight hours a day~ 
 If I continue this trend until age 80, I will have been awake 12.92 years more than the person who sleeps 8hrs per day and lives also to be 80 Yrs old~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

6 hours ago, BeamerBikes said:

Aye- as they should... US education seems to be bent on trying to get children to adjust to Adult's schedules rather than the other way around.  Other countries start school later since it's supposedly proven that children's natural sleep habits have them waking later than adults.  1st period 8am classes always suck.  

Ditch the time change and start school later! 

When I was in grade school, the day started pretty late in the morning - certainly no earlier than 9A.  The day ended later too - 3:30.

Year round Daylight Saving Time has been tried before, with much complaints after people realize just how dark it is in the morning during winter.  If implemented again, we'll be back to changing clocks again soon.

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/politics/permanent-daylight-saving-time-has-been-tried-before--and-it-didnt-go-well/ar-AAVaAbx?ocid=sapphireappshare