DOES ANYBODY REALLY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?

samhexum

16 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

There is already a thread on this topic in The Lounge.

Considering we're talking about the Senate I started this thread on here after searching in this forum the words "day light savings" and not finding any previous thread on this issue. 

Next time you think I'm posting a duplicate thread quote me, PM me a link to the said thread or contact the moderators about deleting this thread and moving that other thread in the lounge to the politics section where (to the best of my knowledge) it belongs. 

@marylander1940 the subject is not political and the fact that the catalyst for starting the conversation was a senate resolution doesn't necessarily make it so. There is a general interest in whether and how daylight saving should continue and that is how the conversation in the Lounge is progressing.

4 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

Considering we're talking about the Senate I started this thread on here after searching in this forum the words "day light savings" and not finding any previous thread on this issue. 

A reason your search may have failed to yield the desired results is "daylight" is one word.  A multi-word phrase to describe the same thing would be "light of day".

But now that you've found us, thanks for contributing!  Do you look forward to businesses opening and closing an hour later during the winter, in relation to sunrise?

8 minutes ago, FewBricksShy said:

...And for the majority of human history we didn’t fiddle with the clocks and things were really okay. 

For most of human history we used sundials.

Egyptians measured time by 12 hours of daylight, and 12 hours of night.  Summer hours of daylight were longer than winter hours.

People just looked at where the shadow fell on the sundial, with 12 notches added to establish proportions of daytime.  This meant that people who began work at 2nd hour of daylight, for example, would start later in the winter than in the summer.

Therefore, if we're going to pursue the time keeping method used for most of human history, then keeping the shift from standard time to daylight saving time then back again is more natural than maintaining one time their the year, as it mimicks the start of the day as given by a sundial

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

On 3/16/2022 at 1:08 AM, samhexum said:

because most of her state doesn't adhere to it, but some of it does, which might create some issues?

The part of Arizona which adheres to DST is the Navajo nation (because it's also located in Utah and New Mexico, which do observe DST). The Navajo nation is not subject to US laws, such as this proposed law.

On 3/16/2022 at 1:10 PM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

School districts can cope by starting school an hour later in the winter. 

Obviously suggested by someone who doesn't have kids.
If your kids start an hour later and you don't ..then you need to be at work before you put your kids on the bus. That doesn't work.

It also doesn't work to have your kids walking to school in the pitch black of an early winter morning ...

The system works well for the Northern Hemisphere. Keeping it makes sense.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

If your kids start an hour later and you don't ..then you need to be at work before you put your kids on the bus. That doesn't work.

It also doesn't work to have your kids walking to school in the pitch black of an early winter morning ...

Do kids never walk or do anything in the dark~? 

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

I think our grandparents and great grandparents knew fruits and vegetables were desirable.

I remember my parents sending us out in the dark to go trick or treating… we didn’t have chaperones. We were sometimes in a group but often split up to trade treats~   
 As we got older nothing changed… We had basically two gangs, (groups… not like the bloods or crypts), in our neighborhood…    
  One crew belonged to the upper block and the other belonged to the lower block.  
 We would all walk around together in our respective groups until probably 23:30 or later~ Sometimes that would be just our neighborhood but, also wondering thru the vast range of Whitnall Park and Root River Parkway~ (massive).
 I still walk around late at night no matter where I’m traveling to~ I generally feel safe with exception to Florida, Louisiana, Caracas, Venezuela and Agra, India~ SF and Austin can be sketchy too: I’ve seen lots of random violence in SF and TX due to meth and other drugs. 
 Generally speaking, it’s weapons that make those environments unsafe~ 
 I talk to youth in their 20’s and ask them about their experiences growing up since the circumstances around their lives are so different than my own as a youth~ They seem to adapt well because it’s what they have always known~ I think things are more difficult for those who are not young and were raised under different ideals and circumstances~ The mindset is different in a way that makes it more problematic and stressful for non-youths to cope easily~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

11 hours ago, Becket said:

I hate daylight savings time.  I'm just letting you know in advance, if it becomes year round I am going to pout.  And "you wouldn't like me when I pout!"  Ten bonus points for the movie reference.

Incredible Hulk~? (bill bixby)

Edited by Tygerscent

4 hours ago, WilliamM said:

I think our grandparents and great grandparents knew fruits and vegetables were desirable.

I always thought fruits were desirable:

image.thumb.png.ce41935a79bf7dc5d4c4324e54701db1.png

More so than vegetables 😆

image.thumb.png.0bc4f065e07c53df68717c7045b406ce.png

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, Tygerscent said:

Right in five feet of snow, without boots or mittens and hills in both directions

Lucky you... my school was right on the other side of Mount Everest from my house.

45 minutes ago, mike carey said:

To be pedantic, for the majority of human history we didn't have clocks so changing them was not a consideration.

Au contraire!  My family has diaries passed down through many centuries telling how my ancestors set their sundials back or forward twice a year.  Apparently it was a bitch of an operation.

29 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I always thought fruits were desirable:

More so than vegetables 

I was going to post something pithy along those lines, but figured I'd be told it was in bad taste.  I don't know why I let that stop me; normally it would just encourage me. 

👀😇👀 👀😇👀 👀😇👀

5 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Or…

Workplaces can also adjust. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

If places would adjust start times and close times to changes in daylight as it suits their needs, I can’t see how it couldn’t work. It allows individuals establishments to decide if in the summer they’ll open at 7 a.m. or keep their winter open time of 9:00 a.m. Just for the sake of discussion. Instead of having the government decide to change clocks all at once for everyone, why not let it up to individual establishments as they see fit? It’s a rather libertarian approach, to be sure, but in this instance it seems the most logical.

Edited by FewBricksShy

• 11 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 7:43 PM, mike carey said:

To be pedantic, for the majority of human history we didn't have clocks so changing them was not a consideration.

Watching a series set in 1930s Spain, I noticed that when arranging to meet or do something, instead of setting a time, the characters always said dawn, noon, or sunset.  Oh right, only the wealthy had clocks/watches back then.  If the poor were out of earshot from the hourly ring of church bells, their only way of "telling time" was the position of the sun.

3 hours ago, BSR said:

Watching a series set in 1930s Spain, I noticed that when arranging to meet or do something, instead of setting a time, the characters always said dawn, noon, or sunset. 

That makes sense. None of my Spanish speaking friends ever show up on time. 🤣 Lunch at 1:00 always seems to mean sometime during the afternoon to them.