"We need more teacher like you here... you're gay, right?"

TumYum
This topic is 762 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On 5/19/2022 at 8:00 PM, friendofsheila said:

That comment sounded pretty intrusive.  Wow.  

I understand totally why you would think/say that - but: in context it was totally appropriate.

Teachers in a small school work together very very closely and collaboratively. The gentleman said that to me in a very deep conversation where we were sharing very personal thoughts and reflections about how to best help kids in a dysfunctional charter school.

I have always been out personally and professionally  (since I was in 9th grade actually) so for me it was a cool... actually validating... comment to hear

18 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Of course grade 1-8 teachers work together, in public schools as well.

They did in the 1950s too, my friend

yes totally agree with you - and I think because of then unique demands and rewards in working in education some of the more "traditional boundaries" that professionals maintain in the work place are a bit more fluid - as they must be!!

On 5/15/2022 at 5:17 PM, TumYum said:

..."We have lots of gay kids here... They need to see someone like you. You are gay, right?"...

PsBattle: Flamboyant teacher rocks the house (permission was given to post)  : r/photoshopbattles

I apologize for those of you who didn't understand it was a joke. I guess I need to be more careful about using emoticons.

8 hours ago, BnaC said:

Interesting post.  But perhaps a little self aggrandizing?

Just a little. I feel a song coming on...

On 5/15/2022 at 7:17 PM, TumYum said:

per low functioning charter school. K-8. Very senior faculty member pulls me aside as I am about to give notice. Tired of a school that does not serve its students. 

"We have lots of gay kids here... They need to see someone like you. You are gay, right?"

(Still leaving though...)

Sounds like you are respected by your colleagues.   Just because you are leaving a bad environment does not mean you cant serve gay kids at another location.  Please stay in the profession.  

8 hours ago, The Big Guy said:

Sounds like you are respected by your colleagues.   Just because you are leaving a bad environment does not mean you cant serve gay kids at another location.  Please stay in the profession.  

oh absolutely yes! the charter school I am leaving is using unqualified subs for half of their classes! the kids are suffering.

there are some wonderful schools -- public and private -- that are eager to have me join their community and I will choose the one that is most right for me.

and thank you!