Switching Cell Phone Providers, But to Whom?

Lucky

Lately Verizon has been telling me that I have run out of data. I don't know why, unless they lowered my available date. I've been with them for years and had no problems keeping under the data allowance. This month the notice came even earlier than last month/

So, if you know these things, who has the best offer to get me to switch? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Lately Verizon has been telling me that I have run out of data. I don't know why, unless they lowered my available date. I've been with them for years and had no problems keeping under the data allowance. This month the notice came even earlier than last month/

So, if you know these things, who has the best offer to get me to switch? Thanks!

You probably need an unlimited data plan - smart phones are data hogs. 

Check this out: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-wireless-carrier/amp/

Need more info:

- where are you located?  (Certain providers have better coverage in different markets.)

- what is your current budget/spend?

- how much data do you actually use?

- what is important to you?  (Do you do a lot of international calling?  Do you travel outside of the US?

No wonder I can't find my bill. I went paperless some time ago. Anyway, this month I have used 134 minutes and 224 messages. I have 1% of my data left with ten days to go in the cycle. That's 1.26MB.

The talk and text is unlimited. So the data must be coming from the apps. When this problem first appeared, I actually called Verizon and was advised to make sure my wi-fi was always connected. My phone is supposed to automatically reconnect to the home wi-fi when I return home. Outside of the home, I often check the wi-fi status and sign in where appropriate.

The allowed data, apparently 500MB a month, used to last with no problem. When I was traveling, I can see where I would not always be on wi-fi, but the fact is I use only a few apps. But everybody wants you to download their app these days. I notice that 18% of my data goes to video. I don't use much video! Web and Apps are 42%. Maps an Navigation are 16%.

My monthly bill for two lines is $55 plus $20 in service charges, so $75 a month.

I'm all ears...

Edited by Lucky
%

If you're 55 or older...  check out TMobile Essentials 55+

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/unlimited-55-senior-discount-plans

$55 a month for 2 lines.  (They have an option to do 1 line for $40 a month).  

Unlimited talk, text, and data.  (If you use more than 50GB which is 50000MB, they just slow down the speed without turning you off.)

That is most likely one of the best prices for a single line/dual line scenario.  I personally use Verizon for one of their $90 unlimited plans, but I use the features like Apple+, Disney+, 5G hotspot, etc.  If you don't care about those sorts of things and just need the phone... it might be worth looking at TMobile.  

5 hours ago, RadioRob said:

If you're 55 or older...  check out TMobile Essentials 55+

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/unlimited-55-senior-discount-plans

$55 a month for 2 lines.  (They have an option to do 1 line for $40 a month).  

Unlimited talk, text, and data.  (If you use more than 50GB which is 50000MB, they just slow down the speed without turning you off.)

That is most likely one of the best prices for a single line/dual line scenario.  I personally use Verizon for one of their $90 unlimited plans, but I use the features like Apple+, Disney+, 5G hotspot, etc.  If you don't care about those sorts of things and just need the phone... it might be worth looking at TMobile.  

I do not work for T-Mobile nor am I paid to promote them (ha! if only), but I switched to T-Mobile because of their special 55+ rate.  I was able to share a plan with my mother even though we don't live in the same residence.  Unlimited data for 2 lines was $121 (including taxes & fees) with Verizon but just $63 with T-Mobile.  Despite all Verizon's boasting about their superior network & coverage, T-Mobile's has so far (8 months) been just as good.  But if you're under 55 *EmilyLitellavoice* never mind.

• 2 months later...

I’m not in a Spectrum area, but from what I’m reading, they use Verizon’s network.  So in terms of connectivity and the network itself… it would be whatever experience you would have with Verizon. In terms of support/service… that’s a different question. 

https://www.reviews.org/mobile/spectrum-mobile-review/

2 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

I’m not in a Spectrum area, but from what I’m reading, they use Verizon’s network.  So in terms of connectivity and the network itself… it would be whatever experience you would have with Verizon. In terms of support/service… that’s a different question. 

Yeah, they are either a reseller or buy excess capacity from Verizon. I don't know whether Verizon does this now, but back in the day it wasn't unusual for a provider to prioritize "their" customers over those who used their network via a different provider.

1 minute ago, RadioRob said:

Thank you, but I don't use Verizon so I have no idea what the connectivity would be. I have no experience with Verizon other than internet which I canceled with them back in 2007 because of the unreliable service and horrible customer service. I've never used any other product of theirs. 

Verizon’s cellular network has been one of the most reliable for me of the major providers.  Now… with that said, I’m generally spending my time up and down the east coast and the Midwest. I can’t personally speak to the reliability on the west coast. 

10 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Verizon’s cellular network has been one of the most reliable for me of the major providers.  Now… with that said, I’m generally spending my time up and down the east coast and the Midwest. I can’t personally speak to the reliability on the west coast. 

We had Verizon for landline service in California, and it was good, but then they sold it all to Frontier, and they were a mess. I have two cellphones, one with AT&T, which I have had for years, and it is fine; the other is with Consumer Cellular, because they are cheap, but their service for basic problems is not good.

Edited by Charlie

11 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

I've been getting a lot of promotion mail from Spectrum One. Does anybody use them and if so, what do you think of the service? Thanks in advance! 

I have Spectrum for Internet and cable, and their service for me has been average, but many of my neighbors complain about them constantly.

I have been using Mint Mobile for several years.  For the best deal, I pre-pay for one year in advance... ~$200 including taxes and fees.  I like not paying a monthly bill.  I believe they use the t-mobile network, so 5G service has been good wherever I go.  I stay on wi-fi as much as possible, so I never even have to think about using too much data.

I'm happy with TracFone.  $199.00 {plus tax and fees, about $228) for one year of service with unlimited talk, text, and 24GB of data.  Add on whenever you want to extend another year into the future, and 24 more GB of data..  (They recently raised data from 12 to 24 GB on the one year plan}.  I'm good till July 2026 and have 71.25 GB data.  

I also have a TracFone as my separate burner phone.  It's older, so I still get the old 3X bonus of talk, text, and data whenever I buy the one year card for $99 plus tax/fees.  Pay cash for that.  Not many stores have them, except Walgreens, but sometimes they're out of stock, so if I see them, I pick one up if I have the cash.  I'm about 3 yrs into the future on that too.  

Edited by bashful

I've been using Google Fi for some time.  They run it as a no-contract MVNO mostly over T-Mobil and US Cellular's towers.  The Pixel phones and certan others can network hop based on the strongest signal.  They also have a very generous international data plan.  Since there's no contract you can change up your plan based on your usage patterns.  It's naturally heavily tilted towards android phones but iPhones can be used on it.

• 1 month later...