Wokelahoma!

Well, my partner and I decided to view Los Angeles Ahmanson Theater's "woke" version of Oklahoma! last night. Ado Annie was played by a morbidly obese trans woman (her BMI had to be over 40). The biggest change was how Jud Fry was portrayed. In the original musical, he's portrayed as a dangerous man--at the end he attacks the protagonist Curly with a knife and then dies while falling on his own knife during his struggle with Curly. In this version, he's portrayed as a victim of classist society. At the end of the play, rather than attack Curly, he offers a gun as a wedding present to Curly. Curly then points the gun at Jud, and shoots him at point-blank range in cold blood, with blood splattering everywhere. Despite the obvious murder, the village declares Curly to have killed in self-defense, as it does in the original. They then ominously (with ominous lighting) sing the title song, having let Curly get away with murder. 

The man who plays Curly, Sean Grandillo, is amazingly handsome. He's covered in blood at the end (as are others).

Sean-Grandillo217

Sean-Grandillo835

Sean-Grandillo528

Sean Grandillo (born December 9, 1992) is an American actor, singer and musician, known for his roles as the Voice of Otto in the 2015 Broadway revival of Spring Awakening, Eli Hudson in MTV's horror series Scream, Brett Young in ABC's comedy series The Real O'Neals, and Curly McLain in the 2021-2022 national tour of Oklahoma!

Edited by Unicorn

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2022 at 4:51 PM, Unicorn said:

Well, my partner and I decided to view Los Angeles Ahmanson Theater's "woke" version of Oklahoma! last night. 

Any theatergoer would have known the details of this (by now) well-known production. Are you saying that you were completely clueless about it before you purchased tickets?