THE 2023 BASEBALL SEASON

samhexum

6 hours ago, kyleham said:

Look at by league: The Padres are tired of the Dodgers are always winning so they're spending. The Mets and Phillies are spending as they are tired of the Braves always winning. The Rangers are spending as they are tired of the Astros's always winning. Let's see with all this money being spent who wins the league championship  

The Cardinals spending  iow despite the  very high attendance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Japan completed naming its 30-man roster on Thursday for the World Baseball Classic, which includes outfielders Lars Nootbaar of the St. Louis Cardinals and Masataka Yoshida of the Boston Red Sox.

Nootbaar has a Japanese mother but grew up in California and does not speak Japanese. He is the first to play for Japan in the WBC who qualifies because of his ancestry.

Japan announced its first 12 members earlier this month, including the Los Angeles Angels' Shohei Ohtani, San Diego Padres pitcher Yu Darvish and Chicago Cubs outfielder Seiya Suzuki.

Nootbaar said a few weeks ago at a Cardinals event in St. Louis that he does not speak Japanese but is working on it with his mother, Kumi Enokida.

"I am going to try [to speak] a little bit," he said. "Obviously it's going to be tough to learn a language in a month. I'm going to try my best. My mom is singing the Japanese national anthem in the house. I'm repeating it. We're just doing little stuff like that."

On 1/26/2023 at 4:05 PM, samhexum said:

Japan completed naming its 30-man roster on Thursday for the World Baseball Classic, which includes outfielders Lars Nootbaar of the St. Louis Cardinals and Masataka Yoshida of the Boston Red Sox.

Nootbaar has a Japanese mother but grew up in California and does not speak Japanese. He is the first to play for Japan in the WBC who qualifies because of his ancestry.

Japan announced its first 12 members earlier this month, including the Los Angeles Angels' Shohei Ohtani, San Diego Padres pitcher Yu Darvish and Chicago Cubs outfielder Seiya Suzuki.

Nootbaar said a few weeks ago at a Cardinals event in St. Louis that he does not speak Japanese but is working on it with his mother, Kumi Enokida.

"I am going to try [to speak] a little bit," he said. "Obviously it's going to be tough to learn a language in a month. I'm going to try my best. My mom is singing the Japanese national anthem in the house. I'm repeating it. We're just doing little stuff like that."

Amazing. The Cardinals always seem to have an amazing minor league system. And the money to trade for stars like Nolan Arenado 

Edited by WilliamM

Lin Manuel Miranda's cousin (you know-- the successful one in the family) has been evolving.

He apparently felt worn down late last year and has been on a new workout program and diet, trying to eat more chicken and vegetables in lieu of sweets. “He looks sexy,” Correa said about Miranda. “You see that body? He looks sexy. He looks really good. He looks in shape, he looks ready to work.”

an old pic... not the way he looks now, supposedly.

Jose Miranda meets up with his famous cousin, Lin-Manuel, in New York -  Sports Illustrated Minnesota Sports, News, Analysis, and More

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

34 minutes ago, samhexum said:

José Francisco Miranda (born June 29, 1998) is a Puerto Rican professional baseball infielder for the Minnesota Twins of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut in 2022.

Personal life

His cousin is actor and playwright Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Yes, lin-miranda  has maaany. I worked with one of his female cousin's

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

The one baseball show I watched said that the collective bargaining agreement that was agreed to before last season goes for 5 years so when it's up after the 2026 season will be very interesting to see what changes are going to be discussed regarding spending.

Truly terrible news because an idiot bought the Mets

7 hours ago, WilliamM said:

MLB has begun an investigation of the New York Mets spending and the team's owner.

2 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Do you have a link to a story about this? I can't find anything.

That's because they're not investigating him.  They've simply formed a committee to look into economic issues including payroll disparity.  He's the biggest culprit, but has done nothing at all that deserves investigation.

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

That's because they're not investigating him.  They've simply formed a committee to look into economic issues including payroll disparity.  He's the biggest culprit, but has done nothing at all that deserves investigation.

Dream on

He has outspent other teams, sometimes foolishly.

Edited by WilliamM

On 1/26/2023 at 1:05 PM, samhexum said:

In Dutch, the word nootbaar can mean both "noteworthy" and "nut bar."