Slow News Day?

azdr0710

doing my usual browsing of nbcnews dot com, I came across this breaking news:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/jenna-marbles-julien-solomitas-home-break-in-rcna64062

though they may be social media 'superstars' (?), I've never heard of these people.....apparently, somebody tried to break into their home, but the intruder was pepper-sprayed and then locked out thanks to the quick work of the guy......nothing was stolen, nobody was hurt........this is national news??

the reporter is called a "trends reporter" for NBC News Digital and it was listed in the 'Culture Matters' category of their news......I certainly understand that social media is important and that NBC News needs to include digital-related "news" among their reporting, but this event doesn't seem newsworthy......I'm wondering if the reporter just needed to look busy and mined this event for his/her day's submission.......

if any forum members know of this couple, can you comment about the significance of them?......

yeah, I'm probably a bit cynical and a bit of a Luddite, but this entire episode seems silly and embarrassing to see posted as news......

230103-julien-solomita-jenna-marbles-jm-

Edited by azdr0710

6 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/jenna-marbles-julien-solomitas-home-break-in-rcna64062

though they may be social media 'superstars' (?), I've never heard of these people.....apparently, somebody tried to break into their home, but the intruder was pepper-sprayed and then locked out thanks to the quick work of the guy......nothing was stolen, nobody was hurt........this is national news??

the reporter is called a "trends reporter" for NBC News Digital and it was listed in the 'Culture Matters' category of their news......I certainly understand that social media is important and that NBC News needs to include digital-related "news" among their reporting, but this event doesn't seem newsworthy......I'm wondering if the reporter just needed to look busy and mined this event for his/her day's submission.......

if any forum members know of this couple, can you comment about the significance of them?......

yeah, I'm probably a bit cynical and a bit of a Luddite, but this entire episode seems silly and embarrassing to see posted as news......

230103-julien-solomita-jenna-marbles-jm-

Never heard of them.  Glad they are okay, but how this sort of thing ranks as national news makes no sense to me.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:00 AM, azdr0710 said:

the reporter is called a "trends reporter" for NBC News Digital.... but this event doesn't seem newsworthy.... I'm wondering if the reporter just needed to look busy and mined this event for his/her day's submission

You seem to think that the writer of this story is a "reporter." She's probably paid only to troll social media (in this case Instagram) and post clickbait that some readers might find titillating.

Why? The corporate media exists only to drive eyes to advertisers. Did you see how many ads there are on a typical nbcnews.com page? You were there, so someone probably made money just because the ads were visible to you -- no need even to click them.