Caroline Rhea apologized to us today

My partner can be squeamish in attending stand-up comedy sets, because comics sometimes poke fun at us, referring to us as a sugar daddy-baby couple. So today Caroline Rhea asked who I was and then asked "So, is this your son with you?" during her routine at the Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip. I said "No, that's my partner." Most comics would have said "Oh, your sugar-baby, I see!". But she had the class to say "Oh, I'm so sorry. And I have so many gay friends and fans. I should have known better." It sure felt refreshing to hear that. Kudos to her. Well, we were in the city of West Hollywood. I'm sure a lot of people on this message center get mistaken for father & son? (We were in the 3rd row today) Yay for Caroline Rhea! 😃 She's my Reina!

Happy queen Stock Vector Image by ©clairev #5065226

Good for Caroline! That said, we can’t ban jokes. Couple disparities in all combos of age, race, sexuality and/or gender have always been/are actually fair game for comedians. 

If it gets personal (like weight or disability) that’s perhaps too far. It’s still comedy, not policy though.

Part of equality is being equally able to take a joke at our own expense.  I’m glad she didn’t take the more traveled road to an overused punchline, but if we cannot laugh about our own appearance, either alone or as a couple, we’re asking for “special treatment” from entertainers when we can simply choose to not buy tix

I got used one time as a recurring gag because of my work (wig making) when I was at The Laugh Factory seeing Pudgy, whose schtick was abusing the audience. It was hilarious. Perhaps when seeing live comedy with your man, choose bigger venues and comics who don’t use the crowd. 

Here is a piece about
”Pudgy” by Alexandra Billings: https://bit.ly/3JHoCea

Key quote about insults in comedy: “There’s also a real art to this kind of humor. I know it’s not for everyone, and if it’s done wrong it can be really uncomfortable. You have to walk a very thin line. You have to NOT believe what you’re saying is the truth. It’s more about pointing out how ridiculous stereotypes are, not that they’re to be laughed at; it’s more that the people who *believe* them are to be laughed at.“

Edited by jeezifonly
Link

8 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

...choose bigger venues and comics who don’t use the crowd...

The Main Stage at the Comedy Store, where we were, hosts 300 guests (it was sold out). There were 7 comedians, and Caroline was actually the only one who mostly used the audience (and the only one who called on us--we were in the 3rd row). I didn't know all of the comedians, but if I had, she wouldn't be the one I'd think would mostly use the audience. But no one was really mean. My partner was thrilled by her attitude. 

ROADKILL w/ ILIZA, JAY PHAROAH, RON FUNCHES, CAROLINE RHEA, TAMMY JO DEAREN and friends.

Comedy-Store031323

Edited by Unicorn

6 hours ago, samhexum said:

The only one I am familiar with is Funches.

I applaud Rhea's attitude and have always liked her, but I hear her family is a bit sketchy.  Her niece is supposedly a real witch... at least she was when she was a teen.  Maybe she grew out of it.

No longer a teen:

Where are the stars of Sabrina the Teenage Witch | Daily Mail Online

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 2:55 AM, Unicorn said:

Most comics would have said "Oh, your sugar-baby, I see!". But she had the class to say "Oh, I'm so sorry. And I have so many gay friends and fans. I should have known better."

That was very nice, but she could have kept the comedy set going by simply asking "Who's the top in the relationship" ? 😜

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 7:05 AM, samhexum said:

I applaud Rhea's attitude and have always liked her, but I hear her family is a bit sketchy.  Her niece is supposedly a real witch... at least she was when she was a teen.  Maybe she grew out of it.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:46 PM, Unicorn said:

No longer a teen

Monday marks exactly two decades since Melissa Joan Hart wrapped her seven-season run as Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and we still have big feelings about how it all went down. 

Fortunately, Sabrina herself was more than happy to tackle some of those questions in honor of the finale’s 20th anniversary. Read on for our Q&A with Hart, who dishes on the show’s open-ended conclusion, whether Aaron ever stood a chance against Harvey, the unfortunate absence of a certain aunt and much more…

https://tvline.com/lists/sabrina-series-finale-ending-explained-reboot-revival-melissa-joan-hart/sabrina-cancelled-7-seasons/