Following your passion or following the money.

caramelsub

1 minute ago, nycman said:

image.thumb.jpeg.45dc3c26a76b8a1ae6d6b876f37ecf9c.jpeg

The boy certainly knows his look!

I hope that Irishman isn't taking a dip in the Irish Sea! 🥶

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

This man has a passion for music (and a Ph.D. in that field), and obviously has a lot of talent. Yet he still has an OnlyFans to supplement his income...

I don't follow a lot of Instagram hotties, but this young man was so interesting with his looks and talent, I wanted to keep track of his career.

I agree to not rely on one income source. It’s also essential for your mental wellbeing to find some way to follow your passion even if it’s not (yet) your main income. I have four jobs, or sources of income. Each of them is something I’m interested in or passionate about. It can be challenging managing the demands between them but it’s what I chose and it’s on my terms. 

There are many great suggestions in this thread.   My passion was to be a teacher but chose another route in order to make more money.  While that is ok, what I got wrong was not taking the time to enjoy the money while I was younger.  Don’t wait until you are old to “take the time to smell the roses”.  Good luck!

Now that I’m retired I’m grateful to have worked in a profession that paid me decently. I have the financial cushion to live on both coasts and enjoy life without dealing with the pressure of making ends meet.

Life should be full of contrasts. If you spend all of your time doing what you “love” you may eventually get tired of it. It’s good to do some things that are tough so you can better appreciate the things that truly give you pleasure 

6 hours ago, dbar123 said:

Now that I’m retired I’m grateful to have worked in a profession that paid me decently. I have the financial cushion to live on both coasts and enjoy life without dealing with the pressure of making ends meet.

Life should be full of contrasts. If you spend all of your time doing what you “love” you may eventually get tired of it. It’s good to do some things that are tough so you can better appreciate the things that truly give you pleasure 

Good insight. I agree. I get burnt out of my artistic field as well, especially when I feel I don’t measure up, get rejected or receive negative criticism, which I’m more likely to take personally. I guess that’s why I yo-yo back in forth between the two fields. I need to avoid all or nothing thinking.

Passion. In my first career, I enjoyed it and did very well but wasn't passionate about it. Then I had a near-death experience (knifed in the throat in a homophobic attack) and it made me look at my life. I realised that I was doing a job I was bored by and was looking at decades more work. I'd always been passionately interested in a different career, but hadn't studied it after school because I couldn't afford the 5years of training. I used savings, bursaries etc to retrain and supported myself working nights in a care home and as a masseur. It was a long, hard 5 years and totally worth it. I'm still in my new career 15 years on and I'm still as passionate about it as I was when I first started.

Go passion, without a doubt.